BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Stewart Downing

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Yeah but very poorly and I dont want to see him play there again. Hes not a winger.

I completely agree with what you are saying, he is no winger. But Mowbray plays him there and it's also where Downing now plays. I want Brereton to play as a CF and for us to play more on the deck to facilitate this and suit him. But that appears beyond us and we lump it up to him, or don't play to his strengths. So TM plays him wide right presently.

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

With Downing, obviously he will be 35 before the season, but he played plenty of games last season, and 2 goals and 1 assists suggest his influence has massively waned. Boro fans seem pretty conclusive that they are happy that he has moved on. As a player reliant on his pace and running at full backs, a lot of his main attributes are now very much in decline. I am not at all optimistic, I also dont think hes going to be a squad player, so I worry that whilst he may obviously help them in terms of learning one or two things, he will be a hindrance to Armstrong, Chapman and Rothwell in terms of game time.

Downing will play in the middle to "recycle possession" as he's a very talented left footed footballer.

Edited by MarkBRFC

Just now, arbitro said:

Excuse my ignorance but what is 'recycle possession'?

Normally relates to a CM who gets it and gives it. I think it just means quickly laying the ball off to a better or more creative player and/or changing direction of attack. 

Xavi would be a classic recycler. 

It basically means being a footballer. Mowbray probably uses the term. Chris Wilder most definitely wouldn't. 

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Normally relates to a CM who gets it and gives it. I think it just means quickly laying the ball off to a better or more creative player and/or changing direction of attack. 

It basically means being a footballer. Mowbray probably uses the term. Chris Wilder most definitely wouldn't. 

I guessed as much. Essentially it's managers and commentators using nonsense speak to make themselves sound clever and 'remind' us mere mortals that they are smart.

• Like 4

Reading on here Downing has now come in as a replacement for Conway, potential replacement for Dack, Smallwood, back up for Evans & Travis and personal betterment coach to Chapman and Armstrong !

You can see how Mowbray gets these signings pushed through, ok he might be on double the wages of some but he's doing the job of 6.  A multitasker who once played for Liverpool Just the kind of signing they love, give that manager an extended deal he's genius.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

Just now, tomphil said:

Reading on here Downing has now come in as a replacement for Conway, potential replacement for Dack, Smallwood, back up for Evans & Travis and personal betterment coach to Chapman and Armstrong !

You can see how Mowbray gets these signings pushed through, ok he might be on double the wages of some but he's doing the job of 6.  A multitasker who once played for Liverpool Just the kind of signing they love, give that manager an extended deal he's genius.

He does love a player that can play just about anywhere. Thats why I am surprised (if hes not) that we dont seem to be in for Chuks Aneke. Can play anywhere across the front four and in CM.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/06/19/who-is-chuks-aneke-five-facts-about-the-mk-dons-midfielder-being/

• Like 1

12 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Like you've implied, you've got to judge each player on their individual merits.

For example, Graham and Mulgrew are both 33. Last season, Graham was brilliant, whereas Mulgrew went past the point of no return, regularly responsible for goals conceded and far worse points accumulation and goals conceded records with him playing compared to when he wasnt. You often find a sudden and sharp decline with players at that age.

With Downing, obviously he will be 35 before the season, but he played plenty of games last season, and 2 goals and 1 assists suggest his influence has massively waned. Boro fans seem pretty conclusive that they are happy that he has moved on. As a player reliant on his pace and running at full backs, a lot of his main attributes are now very much in decline. I am not at all optimistic, I also dont think hes going to be a squad player, so I worry that whilst he may obviously help them in terms of learning one or two things, he will be a hindrance to Armstrong, Chapman and Rothwell in terms of game time.

I suppose you need to have played and hit the wall yourself to know what it feels like. Instead of smoothly moving onto the ball you find yourself sort of reaching for the ball all the time. Your touch isn't quite as sharp, your passing isn't as accurate as you would like etc. It comes on pretty rapidly too. You can be fine in August and struggling in December. 

That's why I'm always concerned when we sign players well into their thirties.

• Like 1

This league is about pace and power, if you play 'in front' of teams fannying about going square and backwards you achieve sod all. Our form last season only picked up with the inclusion of the younger more direct players such as Rothwell, Reed and Travis and ditching the slow and ponderous Evans and Smallwood.

So the signing of Downing, for me, is a reverting to type. He's hardly going to drive past anyone more spray a nice crissfield 30 yard pass that looks nice but achieves sod all or hit the odd good dead ball. I may be wrong but I doubt I will be. Feel free to bring this back if I am.

• Like 3

Just now, LDRover said:

This league is about pace and power, if you play 'in front' of teams fannying about going square and backwards you achieve sod all. Our form last season only picked up with the inclusion of the younger more direct players such as Rothwell, Reed and Travis and ditching the slow and ponderous Evans and Smallwood.

So the signing of Downing, for me, is a reverting to type. He's hardly going to drive past anyone more spray a nice crissfield 30 yard pass that looks nice but achieves sod all or hit the odd good dead ball. I may be wrong but I doubt I will be. Feel free to bring this back if I am.

Post of the week

That's exactly what this league is about you've got to go head to head and fight fire with fire not many teams football their way into the top 6 in the Championship. To achieve promotion that way you have to have a very good team then there's a chance you'll run away with it.

As under Bowyer our largely bland style of play will just be enough to tread water whilst allow constant rotation and game time for younger players and ones they are looking to increase in value. 

On 21/06/2019 at 22:34, markhayhurst said:

Most of time recently as an attacking midfielder so all this winger talk is nonsense. You don’t play 35 odd times for England without something about you especially now  at championship level. Or signed in for Liverpool for 20 odd million so comparisons with Conway also nonsense class above

But still deemed surplus to requirements by a fellow Championship club on account of his age.

The other club that were chasing him are in League One.

Enough said.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Yeah and you can have a Tugay to "recycle possession " and you can have an Evans  to  "recycle possession " but the difference in end product is massive. 

8 hours ago, arbitro said:

Excuse my ignorance but what is 'recycle possession'?

A Mowbrayism  there's a lot of it about.

He does have a point though we are terrible passers in the centre mid unless it's going 3 yards either way or backwards.

16 hours ago, tomphil said:

A Mowbrayism  there's a lot of it about.

He does have a point though we are terrible passers in the centre mid unless it's going 3 yards either way or backwards.

I think its a fairly universal saying, so can't be credited to being a "Mowbrayism". It is used over here a lot for Glen Whelan, make of that what you will ?

20 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think its a fairly universal saying, so can't be credited to being a "Mowbrayism". It is used over here a lot for Glen Whelan, make of that what you will ?

In our current situation it's a player who gets the ball, doesn't know what to do with the ball, so gives it to somebody  else 10 or 15 yards away who also probably doesn't know what to do with it. Lowe was a good example of a " Possession Recycler "

• Like 2

• Backroom
Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

In our current situation it's a player who gets the ball, doesn't know what to do with the ball, so gives it to somebody  else 10 or 15 yards away who also probably doesn't know what to do with it. Lowe was a good example of a " Possession Recycler "

Tbf, if that was a case of one CM to tackle and give the ball to the other CM 'possession recycler' that's fine. As long as (like Tugay) they can recycle it straight up either wing or into the path of a running strike.

In our case, recycling straight to Dack, Rothwell, Chapman, or Graham (I'd even include Armstrong and Brereton if they were already running at the box) would be superb. Just need to be sure this recycling player has a bloody good pass on them 80% of the time.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Ya, except Lowe put a lot of the recycling into the regular bin. 

No, for sure, we need someone in the middle with creativity. The Evans/Smallwood axis served it's purpose in league 1 and was given too much time last season. Travis should be a starter, so I wonder could Downing be a good partner for him? A modern day Tugay/Savage partnership would be great. 

• Like 5

The sentiment of a Downing/Travis being Tugay/Savage is a good one and would imo if it worked be something this team has lacked at times a proper engine room rather than just stoppers.

Downfall of it would be the tinkerman though who wouldn't leave it alone given the options he now has and the people he has to keep happy. I actually like Smallwood as a squad man he gets far too much stick he is what he is but can we be carrying so many centre mids ?

• Like 3