BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Stewart Downing

On 28/06/2019 at 00:44, bluebruce said:

I suppose you've blanked Murphy, Etuhu and Goulon from your mind? Don't blame you. Many would say Andrews but I think he was a similar level to Evans and Smallwood personally, just playing a league higher. He was poor but not half as poor as a lot of fans made out.

Andrews did score some goals. Would have been OK in this league.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Andrews did score some goals. Would have been OK in this league.

That's probably true if Andrews had been signed , when we were in the Championship and not the Premiership , he would not have got the same dogs abuse !

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Waggy76 said:

That's probably true if Andrews had been signed , when we were in the Championship and not the Premiership , he would not have got the same dogs abuse !

The problem was that we were pushing for Europe under Hughes before Ince came. The fans were expecting us to push on, then along came Ince our stars rebelled and they were replaced with Andrews and an even worse Robbie Fowler. Andrews was never going to be liked.

If Allerdyce had signed him later on the season, Andrews would never have had the same level of abuse.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

The problem was that we were pushing for Europe under Hughes before Ince came. The fans were expecting us to push on, then along came Ince our stars rebelled and they were replaced with Andrews and an even worse Robbie Fowler. Andrews was never going to be liked.

If Allerdyce had signed him later on the season, Andrews would never have had the same level of abuse.

The thing is you can bet your boots that Allardyce wouldn't have signed him.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The thing is you can bet your boots that Allardyce wouldn't have signed him.

The problem with Andrews was that he was never any good. He did his best but a crap manager signed someone who 2 leagues above his ability level.

He got abused because, by and large, he offered nothing on the pitch.

• Like 2

Players like Andrews and Lowe are a symptom of the manager who picks them.

They then become symbolic of the style of play being deployed. By expressing displeasure or disgust when they continue to be picked, it’s one step short of calling for the manager’s head. Maybe the manager is likeable, for instance, but people want him to stop playing a certain way. The Smallwood and Evans partnership is Mowbray’s version.

5 hours ago, Stuart said:

Players like Andrews and Lowe are a symptom of the manager who picks them.

They then become symbolic of the style of play being deployed. By expressing displeasure or disgust when they continue to be picked, it’s one step short of calling for the manager’s head. Maybe the manager is likeable, for instance, but people want him to stop playing a certain way. The Smallwood and Evans partnership is Mowbray’s version.

Many managers seem to have a blind spot towards a certain player, Southgates is Fabian Delph.

I would disagree that Mowbrays is the Smallwood and Evans partnership. That was very much broken up in 2019, Travis made a regular place his own and Smallwood became something of a squad player. To be fair to Mowbray, no matter how Travis got his chance, and I agree that Travis almost made himself undroppable, but Mowbray resisted the temptation to get them 2 back together as soon as Smallwood was back. Bennett is Mowbray's Lowe/Andrews/Delph, shoehorned into whatever position he can get him in.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

Downing has used the extra week to move more locally.

Good for him, certainly not half arsing it.

Considering it's only a one year deal and we have other players who still commute from the North East, I agree that's a sign he is committed. Good to hear.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

Downing has used the extra week to move more locally.

Good for him, certainly not half arsing it.

He missed the overseas camp* and reported in on Monday of this week and previously the reason given was: 

"New signing Stewart Downing won't be part of the contingent* due to pre-arranged personal commitments"

Its good Rovers have clarified matters.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

5 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Fair play to him. Whatever is said about him, he comes accross as a model professional. Can only be good to have that around. 

Yup cant complain at all. Just hope he has something left in the tank. Looks after himself though - so could be a shrewd signing for a season. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

This fella seems to have got an absolute free pass during these troubled times.

Has he got the tools to work alongside Travis in the middle and get a young lad out wide?

He certainly has the quality and should be contributing far more at least in terms of set pieces. He certainly isn’t a Murphy or Whittingham but we don’t seem to be getting the best out of him. He should expect to have young legs around him to do the running and should be able to ping balls around the place.

No goals but four assists in 16 games. Is this good enough? Should he be contributing more?

How on earth is he not captain and his experience being used to the fullest? The players must surely also be wondering the same. Bennett or a former England international?

Doesn’t feel like he is really ‘our’ player and he hasn’t really been taken to heart like other former top flight greats who have graced Ewood. Right now he’s busy giving interviews in his native stomping ground.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Stuart said:

This fella seems to have got an absolute free pass during these troubled times.

Has he got the tools to work alongside Travis in the middle and get a young lad out wide?

He certainly has the quality and should be contributing far more at least in terms of set pieces. He certainly isn’t a Murphy or Whittingham but we don’t seem to be getting the best out of him. He should expect to have young legs around him to do the running and should be able to ping balls around the place.

No goals but four assists in 16 games. Is this good enough? Should he be contributing more?

How on earth is he not captain and his experience being used to the fullest? The players must surely also be wondering the same. Bennett or a former England international?

Doesn’t feel like he is really ‘our’ player and he hasn’t really been taken to heart like other former top flight greats who have graced Ewood. Right now he’s busy giving interviews in his native stomping ground.

He's on a one year contract and was never a top-flight great.

He's actually done better than I thought he would, I was sure hed do us on a ''Whittingham''

The 1-year contract helps Mowbray not give Downing the Captaincy so Bennett has it just so he can be guaranteed a start. Only at Rovers Circus.

43 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

He's on a one year contract and was never a top-flight great.

He's actually done better than I thought he would, I was sure hed do us on a ''Whittingham''

The 1-year contract helps Mowbray not give Downing the Captaincy so Bennett has it just so he can be guaranteed a start. Only at Rovers Circus.

I also suspected he may be the Whittingham Mk 2 but I think he's been better than that. He's not the David Wagstaffe Mk 2  though, which is what I was hoping he might have been.

• Like 2

I'll be amazed if the old boys network doesn't give him another year.

As much as he's show he's still got something and surprised a few of us it's done us sod all good so far. I still strongly maintain that the money used to pay him should have been invested towards Bauer or someone similar.

I like Downing got to have respect for players like him but like Gally like Brereton just not what we needed at that moment, another old boys job. Chapman would do well to take a leaf out of his book though. By the way where are those who used the 'Downing will be helping coach Chapman' to justify the signing when i was saying it was pointless in summer...... ????

Worked out well so far eh !!

Just now, tomphil said:

I'll be amazed if the old boys network doesn't give him another year.

As much as he's show he's still got something and surprised a few of us it's done us sod all good so far. I still strongly maintain that the money used to pay him should have been invested towards Bauer or someone similar.

I like Downing got to have respect for players like him but like Gally like Brereton just not what we needed at that moment, another old boys job. Chapman would do well to take a leaf out of his book though. By the way where are those who used the 'Downing will be helping coach Chapman' to justify the signing when i was saying it was pointless in summer...... ????

Worked out well so far eh !!

The Bauer thing didn’t seem to be about the money but that Neil valued him more than Mowbray did.

There is a reason that most of our starting XI are the old boys and transition is taking so long. Every new player has to break into the clique that we now have.

Paid up members currently: Dack, Bennett, Armstrong, Lenihan, Williams - most of whom have been here the longest.

Transitioning out or in: Graham, Evans, Smallwood, Rothwell, Travis, Gallagher.

Temporary/Who knows: Walton, Nyambe, Johnson, Holtby, Downing, Cunningham, Chapman, Samuel, Brereton, Davenport.

How could Bauer not be a shoe-in (even back in the Summer without injuries and “hindsight”)? How can Bennett stand in the way of Nyambe? Why send out defenders on loan when we are short and seemingly have no budget for a transfer fee? (P Downing, Mulgrew, Magloire, Wharton)

• Like 5

The good old pecking order, try to keep the others happy and in appearance bonuses by relentless rotation and possibly working to a set weekly wages budget.

Not sure if it's all a Mowbray policy or a Venky BRFC standard policy.  Either way it's baffling when surely the only target should be the best settled 11 to gather some points regularly.

• Like 1