Jump to content
Stuart

Stewart Downing Signs

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

 I prefer the signings that play on grass not paper. Whittingham was a big gamble, as is Downing. What happened to that Edwards lad that ran us ragged out wide last season at Ipswich ?

Staying at Ipswich by the looks of it. He had a very inconsistent season for them, even went through a period of not being selected, so it's to be determined whether he can make the step up from League 1 permanently. Obviously he was playing in a very poor team so you have to take that into account, but sometimes he couldn't get into that poor team, so... who knows. There were reports that he was a target for Hull, but that was before Adkins left, so that might be dead in the water now. 

I wouldn't be averse to signing him as I fear Chapman will only be able to play a bit part role this season and Downing seems more suited to the centre these days. He could be a shrewd capture. If he has a good season next year in L1 for Ipswich his price will undoubtedly shoot up, especially if they get promoted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, danger19_80 said:

Don't agree with lumping Whittingham and Murphy together. Whittingham was a good signing on paper that didn't work out, it happens. Murphy was a malevolent, wilfully disruptive influence on an already fragile squad.

Personally am also cautiously optimistic with Downing. His character seems of the type to help rather than hinder and Boro fans seem to think he still has something to offer. As many have said, as a Conway replacement he's a step up.

I'm sure I remember reading reports when Aitor Karanka was the manager of the Smoggies that Downing was a disruptive influence in their dressing room.

Like others on here, I wouldn't have had his signing as our first priority. We all know problems on the pitch that should be addressed ahead of replacing Conway. Let's hope that they're sorted - properly - before Charlton's visit to Ewood.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

 I prefer the signings that play on grass not paper. Whittingham was a big gamble, as is Downing. What happened to that Edwards lad that ran us ragged out wide last season at Ipswich ?

He hasn't got Middlesbrough, West Bromwich or Coventry on his CV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone tell me why we signed Chapman?

I was pleased at the time but he never plays and we've just signed another left winger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Biz said:

What, like Rothwell and Dack? 

No like Downing, Downing, Armstrong, Leutwiler, Samuel, Smallwood, Graham and Harper off the top of my head. And add Venus and Waggott as non players.

And Chapman.

Edited by arbitro
Add another name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

Downing said in his interview that he likes the way we play.

Where has this myth that Mowbrays sides play "good football" from?

I thought the most interesting part of the interview was when they briefly talked about Mowbray's target for the team this season, which Downing said was "at least Playoffs".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, 47er said:

Can anyone tell me why we signed Chapman?

I was pleased at the time but he never plays and we've just signed another left winger.

Is Chapman the one who is never fit, so we bought him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, imy9 said:

I read somewhere that he was coming as a 3rd or 4th choice centre half so went for Preston? 

Third or fourth? Unless it was some post on here, I’d say you’ve dreamt that.

We need a partner for Lenihan (maybe even a replacement), who would Bauer be behind? Mulgrew? He’s on his last legs and needs to be used sparingly. Williams? He was adequate when he was called on but no specialist. Bauer would have gone into the starting line up (once he’d built up his TM loyalty points of course). Anything else is sour grapes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stuart said:

Third or fourth? Unless it was some post on here, I’d say you’ve dreamt that.

We need a partner for Lenihan (maybe even a replacement), who would Bauer be behind? Mulgrew? He’s on his last legs and needs to be used sparingly. Williams? He was adequate when he was called on but no specialist. Bauer would have gone into the starting line up (once he’d built up his TM loyalty points of course). Anything else is sour grapes.

A replacement for Lenihan? 

Silly season is in full flight 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Downing stats 18/19:

Tournament Apps Mins Goals Assists SpG KeyP Drb Fouled Off Disp UnsTch Rating
Championship 24(14) 2338 2 1 1.2 1.5 0.5 0.4 0.1 0.5 1 6.63
FA Cup 1 N/A - N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A -
Total / Average 39 2338 2 1 1.2 1.5 0.5 0.4 0.1 0.5 1

6.63

Blackburn Roverseas mentioned a rumour about a clause in his contract last year that kept Boro from starting him in more games, because that would have cost them a lot more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, capybara said:

Blackburn Roverseas mentioned a rumour about a clause in his contract last year that kept Boro from starting him in more games, because that would have cost them a lot more.

I'm sure that could be true, the stats were more about how little contribution he made in the goals/assists columns. Conway played half the minutes that Downing did and contributed the same goals/assists. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2019/june/an-exciting-signing-for-us/

"He brings great experience, he's brave on the ball, he picks lovely passes, he can travel with the ball, he's got good mobility still, so I think he's an exciting signing for us.Whilst he's not in his mid-20s and in the middle of his England career, he's a great lad with great qualities that he will bring to the football club.I've always put a lot of stock in personality and character and values, and Stewart is very rich in all those areas as well"

Good human to join a team full of lovely lads... you can take them home to your mother. Apart from Bradley, obviously...

But 'exciting'...FFS Tony!!

Edited by blueboy3333

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, capybara said:

Blackburn Roverseas mentioned a rumour about a clause in his contract last year that kept Boro from starting him in more games, because that would have cost them a lot more.

Another start at Boro would have given Downing a year extension plus a pay rise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, blueboy3333 said:

I'm sure that could be true, the stats were more about how little contribution he made in the goals/assists columns. Conway played half the minutes that Downing did and contributed the same goals/assists. 

1 word... Pulis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

A replacement for Lenihan? 

Silly season is in full flight 

Put the rifle down, chief.

If someone buys him...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, blueboy3333 said:

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2019/june/an-exciting-signing-for-us/

"He brings great experience, he's brave on the ball, he picks lovely passes, he can travel with the ball, he's got good mobility still, so I think he's an exciting signing for us.Whilst he's not in his mid-20s and in the middle of his England career, he's a great lad with great qualities that he will bring to the football club.I've always put a lot of stock in personality and character and values, and Stewart is very rich in all those areas as well"

Good human to join a team full of lovely lads... you can take them home to your mother. Apart from Bradley, obviously...

But 'exciting'...FFS Tony!!

in 40 appearances last season Downing averaged 1.2 shots per game, 1.7 crosses per game and 1.5 key passes per game and was involved in 3 goals. His pass success rate was 82%, and it was mostly midfield style sideways / backwards.

Travel with the ball, in your dreams Tony.

More horseshit from an expert.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, blueboy3333 said:

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2019/june/an-exciting-signing-for-us/

"He brings great experience, he's brave on the ball, he picks lovely passes, he can travel with the ball, he's got good mobility still, so I think he's an exciting signing for us.Whilst he's not in his mid-20s and in the middle of his England career, he's a great lad with great qualities that he will bring to the football club.I've always put a lot of stock in personality and character and values, and Stewart is very rich in all those areas as well"

Good human to join a team full of lovely lads... you can take them home to your mother. Apart from Bradley, obviously...

But 'exciting'...FFS Tony!!

This is where fans (mainly his biggest supporters) and Mowbray part intellectual ways.

Those defending this move talk about moving him into a position to accommodate his age and mobility. Meanwhile, Mowbray is watching scouting videos on VHS and marvelling.

Exciting this isn’t. Sensible? Possibly - time will tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Another start at Boro would have given Downing a year extension plus a pay rise.

Ah, okay. Thanks! Let's hope there's non of that in our contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

I'm sure that could be true, the stats were more about how little contribution he made in the goals/assists columns. Conway played half the minutes that Downing did and contributed the same goals/assists. 

That's true. And one assist in 39 appearances is indeed awful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Neck on the line this will be a good signing. Experienced, quality, not a complete softie like Whittingham. Hes got a great engine and I'm looking forward to him picking out the likes of Armstrong, Dack, Rothwell and Graham. Now for some defenders please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

39 appearances and only 2 goals and one assist ?  Did someone say he was a creative player ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boro opinions are very mixed indeed on him leaving.  We'll just have to wait and see, not an ideal signing by any means but let's judge him on his performances at Ewood.  

I think if he'd been say our 5th and final signing it wouldn't have been met with as many moans and groans, alas it is what it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Third or fourth? Unless it was some post on here, I’d say you’ve dreamt that.

We need a partner for Lenihan (maybe even a replacement), who would Bauer be behind? Mulgrew? He’s on his last legs and needs to be used sparingly. Williams? He was adequate when he was called on but no specialist. Bauer would have gone into the starting line up (once he’d built up his TM loyalty points of course). Anything else is sour grapes.

Downing is 3rd or 4th choice so this is where I got it from. 

Screenshot_20190622_161000.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.