BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Stewart Downing - The View From Teesside

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

So which one sits and provides defensive cover?

Do we always need defensive cover? I thought the complaint was we had too much of that and needed more creativity? 

Travis could do it I think anyway and if not, get Evans back in. 

Who would you put in the middle? 

15 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

So, his legs must have gone .  

If he was worried about accusations of favouritism it could only be because Downing has lost it. He wouldn't get criticism if Downing deserved to be playing....

Iffy move this for us.

Not at all as above he would of played 46 games for us last season - Woodgate made it clear in his press conference he is looking towards using the academy bringing young players into the side and this is a fresh reset for Boro.

Just now, jim mk2 said:

My worry is that if Mowbray is planning to use Downing in midfield he will slow our build-up play even further. We're a pedestrian team lacking pace and the ability to break quickly at the best of times and Downing as I see it will make the problem worse. You need to be young, strong, fast and hungry to get out of this division -  Rovers for the most part last season was none of these. 

Great post from the Boro supporter - always liked Boro and a very similar club to us (without the trophy room). Would be interested to hear his views on Chapman

A lad with bundles of potential - struggled with injuries but every time I saw glimpses of him in the league cup last season he has the ability. He must feel a bit hard done to that he never got a shot under Pulis but then again what attacking wide wingers do? I expect Chapman needs to knuckle down work hard and stay fit to reach his potential - he's probably a bit gutted he left Boro when he did in hindsight as im sure Woodgate would of given him an opportunity to show what he can do for us this season - I hope it works out for him at Blackburn. We let another kid go similar to him - tricky attacking winger called Jordan Jones he left to Kilmarnock a couple of years ago and just got a big move to Rangers. 

• Like 1

Just now, Teesside Steel said:

Not at all as above he would of played 46 games for us last season - Woodgate made it clear in his press conference he is looking towards using the academy bringing young players into the side and this is a fresh reset for Boro.

Why sell Chapman then?

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Then who would shield the defence? 

This is like pulling teeth. Whiteman sits and sprays balls everywhere and keeps the ball moving, Travis is a more attacking option ....its very simple. Downing is just yesterdays player and we've thrown money down the drain again 

If he was being sacked why not hang on and let woodgate decide? Strange you don't want oldies or youngies

To be honest I don't think the club wanted to sell Chapman - My understanding is he wanted to leave and join Blackburn last summer - He was out of contract this summer. You'll see Boro giving lots of young lads debuts this season. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I'd sign Ben Whiteman and play him there. Seems Tony likes him too. £1.5m bid, however I expect him to end up at Hull

I thought he was only going Hull because he liked Adkins who has now left? 

Then you said he was going Sunderland....

I really doubt that we're in for Whiteman at 1.5m when we can get the Aussie lad for more than a million less.

Edited by MarkBRFC

1 hour ago, Teesside Steel said:

What happened with him? Seemed to be well liked by your support when you got promoted? Always rated the kid at Boro - 110% is what you got from him and wore his heart on his sleeve, I remember him scoring and crying straight after in the corner V cardiff, limited in terms of going forward but a solid championship battler - I suppose if your pushing for top 6 you want a bit more quality....

He was great in Div 1 and still gives everything but not good  enough for the Championship. No ill-will against him from anyone really, we all wanted him to succeed.

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

I really doubt that we're in for Whiteman at 1.5m when we can get the Aussie lad for more than a million less.

McCann has just gone there mate....small world eh?

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

A bid has definitely been made to donny 1.5m....without question.

Yes, shit aussie lad for 500k...great stuff

Edited by Sparks Rover

A bid has definitely been made to donny 1.5m....without question.

Yes, shit aussie lad for 500k...great stuff

Hmmm we'll see, but value for money Tone will probably pick the Aussie lad all day long. Plus it's pretty unfair to call him shit, I'm guessing the level he is playing at now is very similar to league one.

21 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

This is like pulling teeth. Whiteman sits and sprays balls everywhere and keeps the ball moving, Travis is a more attacking option ....its very simple. Downing is just yesterdays player and we've thrown money down the drain again 

Whiteman sits, sprays and keeps the ball moving? That's not shielding the defence though is it.  His profile says he is an attacking midfielder.

Have you ever seen him play? 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Whiteman sits, sprays and keeps the ball moving? That's not shielding the defence though is it.  His profile says he is an attacking midfielder.

McCann uses him as a Scholes type positive,  just what we lack. A ball player in the middle. 

McCann uses him as a Scholes type positive,  just what we lack. A ball player in the middle. 

Ya, but you said I was "taking the piss" for suggesting we don't need anyone to shield the back 4 and then go on to name this guy and Travis as your 2, neither of which are defensive. So I just need to ask, are you taking the piss? Do you not see the irony here?