BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Stewart Downing - The View From Teesside

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, but you said I was "taking the piss" for suggesting we don't need anyone to shield the back 4 and then go on to name this guy and Travis as your 2, neither of which are defensive. So I just need to ask, are you taking the piss? Do you not see the irony here? 

Look mate, Mccann plays him as a defensive player. Tony wont sign him now so its irrelevant.  Let's see how the season goes with our midfield eh cos at the moment we are looking like relegation fodder 

Edited by Sparks Rover

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Look mate, Mccann plays him as a defensive player. Tony wont sign him now so its irrelevant.  Let's see how the season goes with our midfield eh cos at the moment we are looking like relegation fodder 

Why? If we put in a 1.5m bid is it not enough or has Tony moved on? Does Ben Whiteman consider Doncaster more favourable than us?

I've heard this lads name sprayed about here quite a bit for the life of me I can't ever remember seeing him play. Is he any good?

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

Why? If we put in a 1.5m bid is it not enough or has Tony moved on? Does Ben Whiteman consider Doncaster more favourable than us?

I've heard this lads name sprayed about here quite a bit for the life of me I can't ever remember seeing him play. Is he any good?

Hull 

Depends. If we don't improve the defence very significantly and we lost Dack, I could see us struggling.

We are still as weak in key areas as we were a year ago. Keeper, centre-back, full-back and central striker. 4/5 desperately needed and they need to be capable of going straight in.

Just now, 47er said:

Depends. If we don't improve the defence very significantly and we lost Dack, I could see us struggling.

We are still as weak in key areas as we were a year ago. Keeper, centre-back, full-back and central striker. 4/5 desperately needed and they need to be capable of going straight in.

To go up (or get close), yes.

To stay up? We were miles in front of the teams in the relegation mix, 20 points above Rotherham. We rely on Dack but not so heavily that we're relegation fodder without him.

Even the players deemed, rightly or wrongly, not good enough are lower half championship standard. Mulgrew, Evans, Smallwood, Bennett, these are all players who would've helped the struggling teams last year immensely in my view. 

No, I don't think relegation is on the cards but without those signings I referred to and if we lost Dack/Lenihan, I think we 'd be in the lower regions of the division.

Remember we has a terrific start to last season with the momentum carrying over from our promotion season. 

Mulgrew is one year older and so is Graham, our sole decent striker. Raya was playing well till he got that face injury. So we are vulnerable without the right signings.

Just now, davulsukur said:

We better not have signed Downing to play him in Centre mid.

Why can't we just sign players who play in the correct position?

I’d like to believe we will play Rothwell or chapman get in front and then bring downing on to have the experience to see out games after how many we let slip last season. 

If that’s the case plus the nurturing the younger lads it’s not a bad signing and on a one year contract a decent replacement for Conway.

if he plans on starting him week in week out or playing him anywhere other than RW then it’s the most stupid pointless signing since gladwin got an extension

4 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

To go up (or get close), yes.

To stay up? We were miles in front of the teams in the relegation mix, 20 points above Rotherham. We rely on Dack but not so heavily that we're relegation fodder without him.

Even the players deemed, rightly or wrongly, not good enough are lower half championship standard. Mulgrew, Evans, Smallwood, Bennett, these are all players who would've helped the struggling teams last year immensely in my view. 

We are quite a bit away from being relegation fodder but I think only Evans from that list of 4 would improve the teams who went down.

7 minutes ago, 47er said:

No, I don't think relegation is on the cards but without those signings I referred to and if we lost Dack/Lenihan, I think we 'd be in the lower regions of the division.

Remember we has a terrific start to last season with the momentum carrying over from our promotion season. 

Mulgrew is one year older and so is Graham, our sole decent striker. Raya was playing well till he got that face injury. So we are vulnerable without the right signings.

Fair, suppose we finished 15th this season too and you wouldn't expect an improvement once you take our best two players away.

Don't want to be splitting hairs too much, I agree that we need improvements to progress and that this is a big summer, recruitment wise. I just think there's too much of a tendency to undersell and even write off a lot of our squad players needlessly, plenty of whom are perfectly serviceable Championship players. The jump from 'we need an upgrade on Smallwood' to 'Smallwood is rubbish' is made really frequently, and for Smallwood you can read 4 or 5 of our squad in my view. 

34 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I’d like to believe we will play Rothwell or chapman get in front and then bring downing on to have the experience to see out games after how many we let slip last season. 

If that’s the case plus the nurturing the younger lads it’s not a bad signing and on a one year contract a decent replacement for Conway.

if he plans on starting him week in week out or playing him anywhere other than RW then it’s the most stupid pointless signing since gladwin got an extension

I think we both know which scenario is more likely don't we?

• Like 3

On 24/06/2019 at 14:11, Oldgregg86 said:

Only problem with bringing him on means we will then sit back and we all know how that ends.  More likely to start and contribute to a goal less first half!

• Like 1

On 24/06/2019 at 13:59, 47er said:

I think all the players are one year older. Let me just check Wikipedia before confirming that........ 

Yep they all are. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

I think all the players are one year older. Let me just check Wikipedia before confirming that........ 

Yep they all are. 

Don't believe everything you read on Wiki...

• Backroom
1 hour ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

Yep they all are. 

Nope, I refuse to believe all players age #Yakubu

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

Yep they all are. 

Well you're not wrong but the older you get the more significant a year becomes, especially for a striker.  But you knew that eh?