BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Your expectations for the coming Season...

4 hours ago, rigger said:

Is this fact or conjecture?

Fact. It is his expectation as it says on the thread...

Reality is we have signed a 29 year old with experience of Bundesleague, Premier League and international football with Germany who apparently terrified the rest of the squad with his ability when training with us in the summer.

Pretty reasonable to be excited at the prospect.

We have not seen much of Tosin either who almost certainly would not have been loaned out if Leclerc's injury happened earlier than it did. That is conjecture based on fact...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, philipl said:

Fact. It is his expectation as it says on the thread...

Reality is we have signed a 29 year old with experience of Bundesleague, Premier League and international football with Germany who apparently terrified the rest of the squad with his ability when training with us in the summer.

Pretty reasonable to be excited at the prospect.

We have not seen much of Tosin either who almost certainly would not have been loaned out if Leclerc's injury happened earlier than it did. That is conjecture based on fact...

No the statement was that our position in the wages paid table would go up considerably with the signing of Holtby. As I do not know his wages that is why I asked if it was fact or conjecture.

I still "expect" us to improve on last season, both in league position and points on the board.

However, I still think we'll end up very similar to where we were last season in both league position and points gained, whilst two very welcome results in the past couple of weeks, I can't really get too carried away in beating Milwall and Reading.

If we are still four points off top come Christmas then of course I might have different thoughts.

1 hour ago, rigger said:

No the statement was that our position in the wages paid table would go up considerably with the signing of Holtby. As I do not know his wages that is why I asked if it was fact or conjecture.

Sorry, your reply was to another of his posts.

My view on Holtby are a substantial signing on bonus but otherwise within the wage structure give or take an adjustment which allows the new Dack deal to slot into as well.

1 hour ago, rigger said:

My post was in response to the thread title :)My expectations for the coming season have risen considerably with the arrival of Holtby.

I see now that the word considerably was used in the post before mine and realise how that may have caused confusion ?

2 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

I still "expect" us to improve on last season, both in league position and points on the board.

However, I still think we'll end up very similar to where we were last season in both league position and points gained, whilst two very welcome results in the past couple of weeks, I can't really get too carried away in beating Milwall and Reading.

If we are still four points off top come Christmas then of course I might have different thoughts.

I would agree with that. Was arguing with mates other day, they were saying "what a great win" after the Reading game, however I said that it wasn't a great win, as I think we should be beating teams like that and like Millwall. We need to get away from that mentality of being happy with winning such games, we are more than capable of beating most teams in the league and should be pushing for top 6.

• Like 2

I think we'll do ok.

No team you can say will walk away with it so far. Leeds are still flawed as they were last season. No Saiz too,  I think they are weaker than last season. When the injuries come in there is no depth at all! Plus they have some fixtures that will test them in the coming weeks.

Swansea havent been convincing yet either, and Charlton may slip down.

With all that, perfect opportunity to sneak up in there. Who the hell knows! Actually positive for a change! May prove to be wrong

42 minutes ago, robbojohnno said:

Bar the blip in the opening 2 games we are now on the form of a top 2 side and that's where the aim has to be. We have players in the team now that demand success and expect to win and I feel that is rubbing off on the younger players.

I think/hope that come the end of the season we'll be looking at those two opening fixtures and see them as playing them at the wrong time. Charlton flying after being promoted at Wembley and relegated teams can often have good starts before tailing off. 

The only game which concerns me at the moment is West Brom because of how we let in so many so quickly, but so long as that doesn't become the habit that it did last year, I think we're in a good spot. 

• Like 1

I could say we'll never have a better chance of going up than this season. If the goals keep coming we'll be there or there abouts.. My only worry is with the exception of an aging Danny Graham none of our strikers appear to be prolific goalscorers and we've struggled to get goals from all over the pitch previously.  Excepting Mulgrew who is no longer at the club.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

I think the future is bright as it stands. If we can put mini runs together, cut out the last minute stupid goal scenarios then we have a real chance at the Play Offs. I actually believe we can out do the likes of the Derby, Boro and Forest by simply closing the silly goal issues that have cost us. We have goals galore in the team we just need to ensure we keep tight and clear of any serious injuries.

Midfield wise, I don't think there is a better one in the league experience and ability wise.

• Like 2

On 23/09/2019 at 12:55, AAK said:

I would agree with that. Was arguing with mates other day, they were saying "what a great win" after the Reading game, however I said that it wasn't a great win, as I think we should be beating teams like that and like Millwall. We need to get away from that mentality of being happy with winning such games, we are more than capable of beating most teams in the league and should be pushing for top 6.

Whilst I agree that in isolation we shouldn't be considering a 2-1 win at Reading as a great result, it's definitely possible to argue that it was great in the context of showing improvement in seeing out the victory / game management, and for putting together back to back victories at this point in time, when most of us agree this run of games is a key barometer of what we might achieve this season. 

I've no idea if that's what your mates were suggesting of course, but to me the ability to go 2 goals up, concede, but then not collapse (& indeed see the game out pretty comfortably from what I hear) is a huge improvement from where we were last season. Being able to bring on the likes of Graham, Johnson & Holtby, with all their nouse, guile & experience, is a massive bonus in my opinion and should stand us in good stead going forwards.

• Like 1