SIMON GARNERS 194

Your expectations for the coming Season...

Although improbable, it's not impossible that 2/3 of Magloire, Butterworth, Samuel, Davenport and Buckley could become regulars before long. Some of these guys were borderline good enough to get in the team that finished 15th last season, but are they good enough to get in last season's team that's potentially had a few new signings added to it?

(side note: Maybe that's the context we need to understand our lack of signings so far...I have noted Mowbray's comments about how the youngsters boosted the stats on the Austria trip and read that as him being pleasantly surprised by what they had to offer. Could a Magloire potentially be better than a Pat Bauer? Could a Davenport potentially be better than a Bradley Johnson?)

As for my expectations, I see us improving as the season progresses after an average start and tough opening fixtures. I believe we'll be in the top half at Christmas and hope we learn from last year's experience of that particular period. I'd be surprised if we finished the season lower than 12th, but would be equally surprised if we finished top 6. 

Depends entirely on signings yet to come which may or may not be made.

New CB /CM/ main striker and no sale of Dack/Raya/Lenihan  and TM uses the youngsters then top 10 might be a possibility.

If we went with the current squad and TM persists with the likes of Williams/Mulgrew/Bennett/Evans/Smallwood/Graham etc I'd expect us to be relegated or to be involved in a relegation dogfight and narrowly escape at best.

If things continue in the way they appear to be shaping up, with little sign of incoming quality in the areas we all know we desperately need to improve (repeated ad nauseam in many other threads, so not going to spell out here) then I am concerned we are setting ourselves up in the words of the old adage; Failing to plan is planning to fail.

I've said it before, but I'm not sure what the point of being an also ran in professional football actually is. If we believe we can compete and achieve some success, then we need to organise and set up accordingly. If we (and I am including all stakeholders at the club in this) don't believe there is any realistic prospect of success, then perhaps it is time to shut up shop and go do something more productive instead. I mean, what is the point in aiming for mediocrity?

Time for some guile and guts from those holding the keys to the Blue and White citadel. Shit now, or forever get off the pot.

16 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Depends entirely on signings yet to come which may or may not be made.

New CB /CM/ main striker and no sale of Dack/Raya/Lenihan  and TM uses the youngsters then top 10 might be a possibility.

If we went with the current squad and TM persists with the likes of Williams/Mulgrew/Bennett/Evans/Smallwood/Graham etc I'd expect us to be relegated or to be involved in a relegation dogfight and narrowly escape at best.

He dropped Mulgrew. Smallwood lost his place mid season and Graham was player of the year. 

What youngsters do you want used and where? 

To be perfectly honest it fills me with turgid dread.

I have a feeling we'll be revisiting the days of Grounhog Gaz with some fans expressing disapproval and the happy clappers saying that it's great we've got stability (i.e. - no ambition).

There's always 2020-21 though. Onwards and upwards!

On balance we are at best standing still at the moment. Get 2 quality defenders and a striker and we will have reasons to be optimistic, but at the moment we are looking down the table, not up.

Edit - that said Championship is such a mad league I don't really think anyone can have any decent expectation of what will happen until around October.

Edited by joey_big_nose

6 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

On balance we are at best standing still at the moment. Get 2 quality defenders and a striker and we will have reasons to be optimistic, but at the moment we are looking down the table, not up.

Edit - that said Championship is such a mad league I don't really think anyone can have any decent expectation of what will happen until around October.

We’ve replaced Conway and Rodwell so far. These two were the least priority in my view.

We need to replace Mulgrew, Reed, Graham, and its looking like Raya.

Loads to do.

There isn’t yet any “reason to be optimistic”. Right now my season ticket feels more like a loyalty card than an entertainment pass.

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

We’ve replaced Conway and Rodwell so far. These two were the least priority in my view.

Loads to do.

There isn’t yet any “reason to be optimistic”. Right now my season ticket feels more like a loyalty card than an entertainment pass.

I'd quibble and say we definitely don't need any more centre mids, so no Reed replacement. Agree with you elsewhere though. 

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

Loads to do.

Johnson played a big role for Derby last season, definitely another season at least in his legs, he is a significant improvement on our midfield in my opinion.

Reed is good player but Mowbray didn't use him properly.He rarely started in the centre

We have to get another left footed defender, preferably a centre half who is 6'4 and loves heading it. We also need a right back, a proper one.  Nyambe doesn't seem to be in Tony's first team and Bennett will start there in my opinion.   

9 hours ago, Stuart said:

Loads to do.

I really don't get it. The weaknesses in defence stick out like a sore thumb. We all know it, even the manager saw it towards the end of last season.

Now he seems to think it was all Raya's fault and that will be solved by signing Newcastle's 4th choice.!

Repeat---I don't get it.

Just now, 47er said:

I really don't get it. The weaknesses in defence stick out like a sore thumb. We all know it, even the manager saw it towards the end of last season.

Now he seems to think it was all Raya's fault and that will be solved by signing Newcastle's 4th choice.!

Repeat---I don't get it.

More recently our Managers said a new passing style will relieve pressure on our defence on the basis apparently that if the oppo doesn't have the ball they can't score. My PT and Football teacher at School about 55 years ago was more tactically aware.

Raya, although I did not rate him that much myself, has been made the scapegoat and treated badly by Mowbray.

21 hours ago, 47er said:

Same. Advancing at glacier speed to the Premier League holds no attraction for me!

Having to go to that shithole Burnley in place of lovely Luton sure would suck!

Anyone else feel we are scraping the Barrel and its all on the cheap with Venkys?

Where is the drive and investment to get us out of this league? are they actually aware of the riches that awaits them in the Prem?

CALLING PUNE!....ANYONE THERE?

Just now, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Anyone else feel we are scraping the Barrel and its all on the cheap with Venkys?

Where is the drive and investment to get us out of this league? are they actually aware of the riches that awaits them in the Prem?

Depends on your perspective.

Last season we spent around £10m in transfer fees with nothing in return. I don't think any of us could argue about last season being done on the cheap, even if we are unsure about who was brought in.

The season before that, we also spent a reasonable amount on players and loans to get us back up, without making much in return. So I wouldn't say that was done on the cheap, either, and it did seem to coincide with some auditing going on behind the scenes.

As for this window, we've so far brought in a few freebies and made £3m in the process by selling Raya. So in terms of spending, I'd like us to bring in somebody that Mowbray wants, and stump up the cash, be it Gallagher, Dann, Hanley, or whoever.

By the same measure, I don't want us to be put in a position in a couple of seasons' time whereby we've spent above and beyond what we realistically should have. I think over the course of three seasons, we can't do what we did last season, i.e. spend £10m and take nothing in return. I think that would put us over the FFP threshold?

To me, I'm just glad that some system and sensibility seems to have returned to the club, but the problem is our mounting losses, loss of season ticket holders and the income that comes with that, etc. The club can improve in areas such as ticket sales strategy, I think, but I do get the feeling that we are holding back on make stupid financial decisions a la Kean era.

Mid table is the likely finishing point for us. However if we get Gallagher like the press believe this weekend. A steady goalkeeper and some championship quality defenders we may fo better