BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Damien Johnson Promoted

Genuinely think this is a very good move we've all moaned about one thing or another quite rightly in a lot of instances but they do appear to be taking seriously the development of our own players and building a pathway to the first team.

Hopefully it is being done for the right reasons and hopefully he gets some real input into it all.

• Like 3

This is the first thing I’ve felt like posting about for a while, fantastic move imo. Hoping to see a good few moved up to the first team now. Definitely could be a future manager for us as well. 

Not just 'all of the above'; but one thing that particularly pleased me about DJ's appointment is that "He's one of our own.", in that he started his playing career with us.

In a small way, it's a sign that we're trying to do what Liverpool have done in the past; what Ajax do now and what Solskjaer seems to be trying to do at Old Trafford; viz. having former players who (should) know what's in the club's ethos in positions of authority/usefulness.

It won't always work; but when it does, it's particularly pleasing, imo.

• Like 2

Having given this further consideration a couple of thoughts.

Mowbray wants to develop a more passing style - Damien Johnson promoted to first-team technical coach.

Transfers in are sparse, so far, so we may have to rely on the U23s, more than previously expected - Damien Johnson appointed the head of player development.

I hope it all works out ok and we are not looking for a fall guy at some point anytime soon.

Cynical? Yes, years of training.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Having given this further consideration a couple of thoughts.

Mowbray wants to develop a more passing style - Damien Johnson promoted to first-team technical coach.

Transfers in are sparse, so far, so we may have to rely on the U23s, more than previously expected - Damien Johnson appointed the head of player development.

I hope it all works out ok and we are not looking for a fall guy at some point anytime soon.

Cynical? Yes, years of training.

I think if there is a slump most fans would be hoping Johnson wouldn't be the fall guy. In fact I think he is moving in the direction of the main job at some point. Do Venkys think the same? I would say they wouldn't know very much about him to be honest. I really hope his career is managed well here from this point on. 

• Like 2

Love Johnson. Done a fabulous job and couldn't be more deserving of his promotion.

Only thing I worry about is that if he's involved in the first team set up, he's in the firing line when it comes to managerial upheaval, but then again if you take that attitude then you'd never give him the chance to progress and he'll be off to a club which does. Huge asset to Blackburn Rovers. 

34 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Love Johnson. Done a fabulous job and couldn't be more deserving of his promotion.

Only thing I worry about is that if he's involved in the first team set up, he's in the firing line when it comes to managerial upheaval, but then again if you take that attitude then you'd never give him the chance to progress and he'll be off to a club which does. Huge asset to Blackburn Rovers. 

I could imagine if Mowbray and Venus got fired for whatever reason he'd be well placed to come in as caretaker

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think if there is a slump most fans would be hoping Johnson wouldn't be the fall guy. In fact I think he is moving in the direction of the main job at some point. Do Venkys think the same? I would say they wouldn't know very much about him to be honest. I really hope his career is managed well here from this point on. 

Many have thought this will be TMs last big job that's why he's trying to keep it as comfy as possible so going along with that line of thinking for a moment there could be something in this.  Perhaps he's hinted at another season or two till his contract is out then he'll take a break or retire or something so they are grooming DJ into the swing of things. 

Ideal world would see Mowbray have another good season then hand the reigns to Johnson and maybe move upstairs to over see things for a while.  All that's probably too sensible for Venkys but you never know. Although I do think TM needs to get his finger out and address certain things and cut some bad habits team wise for that to have a chance or working.

• Like 2