BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Damien Johnson Promoted

Just now, tomphil said:

Many have thought this will be TMs last big job that's why he's trying to keep it as comfy as possible so going along with that line of thinking for a moment there could be something in this.  Perhaps he's hinted at another season or two till his contract is out then he'll take a break or retire or something so they are grooming DJ into the swing of things. 

Ideal world would see Mowbray have another good season then hand the reigns to Johnson and maybe move upstairs to over see things for a while.  All that's probably too sensible for Venkys but you never know. Although I do think TM needs to get his finger out and address certain things and cut some bad habits team wise for that to have a chance or working.

I am struggling to remember any instance where a manager moved to a DOF role and things worked out. Hopefully Johnson does stick around for the foreseeable future in some capacity though. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I am struggling to remember any instance where a manager moved to a DOF role and things worked out. Hopefully Johnson does stick around for the foreseeable future in some capacity though. 

If it's a temporary thing though it might work for a season or so whilst the new lad gets to grips with it.  If they are singing from the same hymn sheet it could work but we'll find that out in the near future in the dugout.

Of course the evil in me says Mowbray might be making room for another old pal as U23s boss whilst keeping a tight reign on Johnson then maybe offing him at some point if he sees him as a threat ....... ?

Just now, tomphil said:

If it's a temporary thing though it might work for a season or so whilst the new lad gets to grips with it.  If they are singing from the same hymn sheet it could work but we'll find that out in the near future in the dugout.

Of course the evil in me says Mowbray might be making room for another old pal as U23s boss whilst keeping a tight reign on Johnson then maybe offing him at some point if he sees him as a threat ....... ?

You are very evil :)

I just don't think when ToMo does eventually leave it will be because he stepped aside, or up as the case may have it. It's a great idea in theory though.  Stephen Kenny the Ireland under 21 manager who got the job the same time Big Mick got the senior job will definitely be taking senior job over after this qualifying campaign. 

It will be interesting to see who gets the under 23 job now alright. An ex-Rover would be good imo 

• Like 1

Wilcox must be very happy where he is he never seems to show an interest in doing anything else maybe it's not for him.  Wright might be a good shout they need to get the best possible really as it's big boots to fill.

I expect an ex Mowbray or Boro man or the cheapest option possible, would be nice to know they are finally learning about having qualified people in the right roles though.

14 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Very well deserved. Always liked him. Used to watch him down at Brockhall in the Youth Team. In a 442, Johnson wide right, Duffer wide left with Beattie and Thomas up front. Virtually unbeatable.

Who is Thomas? I'd say Beattie was a big unit at youth level 

James Thomas, played a few games early doors in our promotion season in 2001,

Think he went on to have a very average career in the lower leagues after that season.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Scored with his first kick against Bolton in his first big game if my memory serves me well. Down hill all the way after that. He was quite a slight guy with a nice left foot. Not overly quick or strong. You need to have one of those abilities to succeed playing up front.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Never fulfilled his potential and only ended up playing 107 games throughout his senior career. Was best remembered at Swansea where he made 50 odd appearances. Suffered a knee injury in his late 20s which more or less finished him. Whilst playing for our youth team, however, he was a very good player. Beattie had the edge on him but not by much.

Last i heard he was a PE teacher in wales

remember him scoring after about 20 seconds against Bolton and getting his autograph after the game as a kid thinking he wasn’t going to be a star through my niaive eyes

Edited by Oldgregg86

Just now, JoeHarvey said:

Nobody lined up to replaced DJ it would seem.

BB58CF02-B77D-442D-BF9D-548D514042D5.thumb.jpeg.47a7eba2a75fcd9bd5898866192c1853.jpeg

Do we have no network at all?

Having nobody lined up smacks of no planning whatsoever. Almost looks like Johnson gave them an ultimatum and forced their hand, and now they have to react.

Although, in fairness, Facebook is probably the best place to recruit from. ??‍♂️

• Like 1

Just now, Stuart said:

Do we have no network at all?

Having nobody lined up smacks of no planning whatsoever. Almost looks like Johnson gave them an ultimatum and forced their hand, and now they have to react.

Although, in fairness, Facebook is probably the best place to recruit from. ??‍♂️

This is LinkedIn, it’s the only place I’ve seen it advertised to be honest.

On 05/07/2019 at 20:14, Oldgregg86 said:

Last i heard he was a PE teacher in wales

remember him scoring after about 20 seconds against Bolton and getting his autograph after the game as a kid thinking he wasn’t going to be a star through my niaive eyes

No he was an ambulance driver, one step off being a para medic.

On 03/07/2019 at 13:09, tomphil said:

Have you thought that if the club have another 4 from 33 run even Venky's might want a change. So Johnson would be a possibility for at least caretaker. Now by bringing Johnson in the fold Mowbray knows that if things are going well he will be alright. If they are going badly Johnson might not look as obvious for the role and this might give Mowbray more time. On the other hand if Johnson had another season with the U 23s punching above their weight then his credentials would be improving all the time.

Just now, The Axe said:

Have you thought that if the club have another 4 from 33 run even Venky's might want a change. So Johnson would be a possibility for at least caretaker. Now by bringing Johnson in the fold Mowbray knows that if things are going well he will be alright. If they are going badly Johnson might not look as obvious for the role and this might give Mowbray more time. On the other hand if Johnson had another season with the U 23s punching above their weight then his credentials would be improving all the time.

So Mowbray promoted Johnson so he wouldn't be as an attractive an option for the top job? 

Is that what I'm reading? Mmm. OK! 

Conspiracies all over the shop today, but this is a good one. 

• Like 1

• Backroom
5 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

That rings a bell

maybe I’ve confused someone else

Perhaps Lenny Johnrose? Taught in Blackburn.

Ben Burgess also in teaching, but don't know where.