BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Damien Johnson Promoted

32 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

So Mowbray promoted Johnson so he wouldn't be as an attractive an option for the top job? 

Is that what I'm reading? Mmm. OK! 

Conspiracies all over the shop today, but this is a good one. 

First I got this from a reliable source and no I'm not going to name him since then he would not be a source anymore. Secondly if you have spent any time on the corporate ladder of major companies you would know that side lining rising stars is part of the job preservation technique. Its also common among solicitors and chartered accountants which are areas I know and I believe it is rife among salesmen. Do you think that football is any different ? 

Just now, The Axe said:

First I got this from a reliable source and no I'm not going to name him since then he would not be a source anymore. Secondly if you have spent any time on the corporate ladder of major companies you would know that side lining rising stars is part of the job preservation technique. Its also common among solicitors and chartered accountants which are areas I know and I believe it is rife among salesmen. Do you think that football is any different ? 

I have worked for multi nationals on the corporate ladder and I know that people are promoted because they have met targets and done a good job. Side lining rising stars takes the form of not promoting them. This theory doesn't add up. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I have worked for multi nationals on the corporate ladder and I know that people are promoted because they have met targets and done a good job. Side lining rising stars takes the form of not promoting them. This theory doesn't add up. 

Side lining into a less visible job does. If you honestly believe that promotion is given to those who merit it you must have been fortunate with your employment.

• Like 1

Just now, The Axe said:

Side lining into a less visible job does. If you honestly believe that promotion is given to those who merit it you must have been fortunate with your employment.

Not so bad, but I have dealt with some right c***s! Mostly women though ?

I just don't see it as less visible. If Mowbray did get potted, Venus would leave and you look around who is left and I would still see Johnson as clearly the front runner and stand out candidate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Axe said:

Have you thought that if the club have another 4 from 33 run even Venky's might want a change. So Johnson would be a possibility for at least caretaker. Now by bringing Johnson in the fold Mowbray knows that if things are going well he will be alright. If they are going badly Johnson might not look as obvious for the role and this might give Mowbray more time. On the other hand if Johnson had another season with the U 23s punching above their weight then his credentials would be improving all the time.

Absolutely. Whilst Johnson is working wonders with the u23s and has relative autonomy running them and managing them on matchday he can be judged on results and performances, and boy have they been impressive over the last couple of years.

By 'promoting' Johnson to the first team he's no longer demonstrating his managerial credentials in the public eye and is no longer delivering results in games. He's behind the scenes on the training ground. 

In creating this position is Mowbray effectively admitting that there was a gap in the coaching team that needed occupying.

Just now, JHRover said:

In creating this position is Mowbray effectively admitting that there was a gap in the coaching team that needed occupying.

There is a massive difference between this and a paranoia about being replaced by DJ, thus putting him an position where his reputation cannot carry on growing.

I’m genuinely flabbergasted that this threads got to this! Isn’t the sensible answer and rationale for his promotion; we’ve plenty of young players in the squad he’s worked well with...?

I know that’s not as exciting as a power struggle, or doesn’t paint TM as pathetic in the way people may prefer - but isn’t the most obvious reason for something generally reality? 

• Like 4

Just now, JHRover said:

Absolutely. Whilst Johnson is working wonders with the u23s and has relative autonomy running them and managing them on matchday he can be judged on results and performances, and boy have they been impressive over the last couple of years.

By 'promoting' Johnson to the first team he's no longer demonstrating his managerial credentials in the public eye and is no longer delivering results in games. He's behind the scenes on the training ground. 

? Is that not a good thing? 

Just now, Biz said:

There is a massive difference between this and a paranoia about being replaced by DJ, thus putting him an position where his reputation cannot carry on growing.

I’m genuinely flabbergasted that this threads got to this! Isn’t the sensible answer and rationale for his promotion; we’ve plenty of young players in the squad he’s worked well with...?

I know that’s not as exciting as a power struggle, or doesn’t paint TM as pathetic in the way people may prefer - but isn’t the most obvious reason for something generally reality? 

It's mad isn't it ??? Actually comical 

• Backroom

Rather than making DJ less visible so he can't usurp Mowbray, maybe it's to reduce interest from other clubs?

Or maybe it's to help create a better integrated culture between the youth and first team setups?

• Like 2

We’ve promoted him without anyone else lined up. That doesn’t feel like a well thought out approach but more like a knee-jerk reaction to Johnson saying I’ve proven myself and I want a promotion or I’m going to look elsewhere.

Mowbray may have a long term goal where he sees the club being but he doesn’t seem to have much in the way of short term planning.

6 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It's absolutely crucial that we bring someone in who can carry on Johnno's good work. The flow of good young players the club is bringing through needs to continue.

Think it needs someone with a bit of gravitas either as a player or manager. Johnson had 'been there' as a player. I'd like to see Terry McPhillips get the job but if my suspicions are correct we'll get someone more low profile than that. Probably another internal promotion

On 09/07/2019 at 13:01, The Axe said:

Well, you've got me thinking again about why I got passed over for a decent role at my company in favour of a complete idiot with minimal life or work experience...probably should have answered less honestly in the interview about where I saw my career going!

Edited by bluebruce

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Think it needs someone with a bit of gravitas either as a player or manager. Johnson had 'been there' as a player. I'd like to see Terry McPhillips get the job but if my suspicions are correct we'll get someone more low profile than that. Probably another internal promotion

Boateng would be an internal promotion that has 'been there' as a player.

On 03/07/2019 at 14:13, Vinjay17 said:

...and my choice for Mowbray's role would be Jason Wilcox. 

On the other hand, we just finished above City's youths, despite their vastly greater resources (including playing expensive first team defenders who cost far more than our entire first team).

• Like 1

On 09/07/2019 at 13:31, JHRover said:

And your point is???????

But in all reality, yeah, you are probably right. Mowbray must have been looking at Johnson's performance as manager last year and considered his job. "How do I get rid of the big looming threat of DJ?" he pondered, over his lemon drizzle cake. Whilst Mark Venus wanted him whacked Mowbray's best plan was to keep his enemies closer than his friends - put him in charge of player development, that'll teach him for trying to take my job.

Nothing to do with him bringing the players through the youth system in an incredible few years, knowing them inside out, and them now knocking on the door of the first team or anything. Of course not....................................................fuck.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

And your point is???????

But in all reality, yeah, you are probably right. Mowbray must have been looking at Johnson's performance as manager last year and considered his job. "How do I get rid of the big looming threat of DJ?" he pondered, over his lemon drizzle cake. Whilst Mark Venus wanted him whacked Mowbray's best plan was to keep his enemies closer than his friends - put him in charge of player development, that'll teach him for trying to take my job.

Nothing to do with him bringing the players through the youth system in an incredible few years, knowing them inside out, and them now knocking on the door of the first team or anything. Of course not....................................................fuck.

I hadn’t thought of it like that. You could actually be onto something...

6 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

And your point is???????

Machiavellian Mowbray...