BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Damien Johnson Promoted

1 hour ago, philipl said:

I hear a lot of clubs had noticed the job Damian Johnson had done with the Under-23s.

Rovers have done extremely well to keep him.

If Mowbray were Machiavellian, Johnson would no longer be employed with Rovers.

Exactly!

Good managers want to surround themselves with talented people. Insecure ones want colleagues and employees who won't answer back.

Hoping the move up for Damian will prove to be beneficial.  Read that Mowbray was describing himself as having his eyes opened by the performances of Rankin-Costello because he didn’t know that he was that good.  In my view a manager should be on top of his young players and know exactly how good they are, can’t imagine Klopp being surprised by the emergence of Alexander-Arnold.

Maybe Damian Johnson will put those things right.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 4000Holes said:

Hoping the move up for Damian will prove to be beneficial.  Read that Mowbray was describing himself as having his eyes opened by the performances of Rankin-Costello because he didn’t know that he was that good.  In my view a manager should be on top of his young players and know exactly how good they are, can’t imagine Klopp being surprised by the emergence of Alexander-Arnold.

That's true but surely someone should be in his ear----constantly.

Edited by 47er

2 hours ago, 4000Holes said:

He’s not been any good at all for the last year....

• 11 months later...
35 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Can only be a good thing in my view. International setup experience. Club experience. What's not to like?

I think he'll be our next manager. The more experience he gets - both at Rovers and away - the better.

that's my feeling on this. 

I agree that I honestly think Damien Johnson will take over from Mowbray when he goes. 

7 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Bad move from the club if we see Johnson working here long term as it rarely works out when someone is doing a club and international job. 

his job is part time with Northern Ireland so not going to impact his role here. 

Also helps him develop even more if he take over which I hope he does

We all hope he takes over here. Unfortunately our owners haven't a clue and may think,"what happened when we promoted Kean may happen again if we promote Johnson".

Club is badly run so I don't presume anything.

12 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Rather different, Hughes' two jobs only overlapped by a matter of weeks. Also results weren't all that great early on either.

Still worked out pretty well. It’s not about sharing the job, it’s about being a good manager.

Plus any excuse to post a photo of Mark Hughes... ;) 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

his job is part time with Northern Ireland so not going to impact his role here. 

Also helps him develop even more if he take over which I hope he does

When was the last time a coach was promoted to the managers chair in the Championship and it worked?

17 minutes ago, JHRover said:

When was the last time a coach was promoted to the managers chair in the Championship and it worked?

Thomas Frank at Brentford. 

Also Paul Heckingbottom at Barnsley. Got them promoted then keep them up

Also look at Brendan Rodgers who was a coach at Chelsea and he had a good career managing 6 different clubs including Liverpool and Celtic. So coaches who work they way up can be successful

Edited by chaddyrovers

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Thomas Frank at Brentford. 

Also Paul Heckingbottom at Barnsley. Got them promoted then keep them up

Frank had already been a manager in his own right in Denmark. 

As before, probably not a good idea us trying to copy Brentford when we are a million miles away from their structure.

Heckingbottom took over when Johnson had already set them on the way to promotion from League One and finished the job. His record in the Championship at Barnsley and Leeds is abysmal. Totally overrated.

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

Frank had already been a manager in his own right in Denmark. 

As before, probably not a good idea us trying to copy Brentford when we are a million miles away from their structure.

Heckingbottom took over when Johnson had already set them on the way to promotion from League One and finished the job. His record in the Championship at Barnsley and Leeds is abysmal. Totally overrated.

Frank was Brentford 1st coach when Smith move on to Villa. 

Heckingbottom got them up at the end of the day not Johnson who walk away 

15 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Frank was Brentford 1st coach when Smith move on to Villa. 

Heckingbottom got them up at the end of the day not Johnson who walk away 

Yes. My question was when was the last time a coach was promoted to manager and it succeeded at this level?

Heckingbottom was the division below. Frank had already been a manager just a couple of years earlier.

There aren't any others that I can think of.

Sometimes I wonder.

11 hours ago, JHRover said:

That would be almost like having a Boot-room mentality, who’d ever think that’d work.

1 hour ago, rigger said:

That would be almost like having a Boot-room mentality, who’d ever think that’d work.

So you think in 2020 with these owners that we are capable of replicating what Liverpool did 40 years ago?

It doesn't work, it won't work. Its so predictable. Appointments through convenience and emotion. I want to get to the Premier League as quickly as possible not gamble our status on experiments.

It is not the system of internal promotion that is flawed. It is a case of having the correct people in place. Internal promotion of correctly qualified and experienced people happens in every industry, worldwide.

• Like 1