BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bradley Johnson Signs.

When signing players I think we should ask one basic question. Is he better than what we have? In my opinion he’s better than Evans and Smallwood so yes. We were rather toothless particularly late on so perhaps that’s been addressed. Centre halves now...

• Like 3

Is he an improvement on what we have in the squad currently? Definitely.

Is he better than Harrison Reed? Probably not.

So whilst I think it is a decent addition, it doesn't actually make us any stronger than last year. I think the message from Southampton was basically not to even ask about a price for Reed.

• Like 1

Just now, LeftWinger said:

So whilst I think it is a decent addition, it doesn't actually make us any stronger than last year. I think the message from Southampton was basically not to even ask about a price for Reed.

It does if Mowbray starts BJ in the centre. Somewhere Reed didn't start much.

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

Was going to post very much the same thing. 

In some ways I'm happy with slow build - to go from Lowe to Smallwood to Johnson is a continual step upwards. Problem is if we make slow progress and others progress faster we'll actually be falling behind. 

Most worryingly for me is it is probably a good signing for a year or two maximum and then will need replacing. Given we'll also have to replace a few key other players in this time - Mulgrew (should've been done before) Graham and Downing I think we could have significant and urgent recruitment for talent in a year or two. 

Decent signing. As one of many it's a good signing. As one of our key signings or to be right mid, or instead of a defender - meh. Hope that it's the former though. 

4 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

A decent signing who should be a better partner for Travis than Evans. Although his best years are probably behind him. It's a signing that says to me more mid table to top half than top 6.

That's not saying much. Might be another Whittingham type but that was a signing that appeared to make sense and this does as well.

7 hours ago, OJRovers said:

Hopefully he'll get change to play in central midfield rather than being stuck out on the wing.

Don't bet on it, whilst i'm happy with this signing i'm also terrified wondering what Mowbray has in store for him.

On 07/07/2019 at 16:57, JonSnow said:

The Rodwell replacement. Imposing, powerful midfielder who likes to get stuck in and is a threat going forward. 

Good business on the face of it.

When was Rodwell ever imposing or powerful?

Decent signing this - think it improves the side tremendously. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

When was Rodwell ever imposing or powerful?

Decent signing this - think it improves the side tremendously. 

Is he replacing Rodwell or Reed? Or both?

Very difficult to second guess what is going on with our recruitment/replacement strategy.

Johnson is going to need to slot in alongside Travis and hit the ground running but I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see him on the bench while Evans or Smallwood take to the pitch instead.

On 05/07/2019 at 14:48, Norbert Rassragr said:

He has been a pretty good midfielder in this division for years so it is a good signing for me. An upgrade on Smallwood and Evans anyway.

With the signings we've made and the fact Butterfield and Adam are training with us. Could see departures. Smallwood would be the obvious one. Didn't look as good in the championship unfortunately as he did in league one