BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Raya joins Brentford

Brentford have had their approach described as a “moneyball” style of running a club - from statistical models and (in some way similar to us) an eye for players to develop.

Raya ticks lots of boxes when you think about data - age, experience, cost (due to wage), academy graduated from, home grown status (3 years in uk academy before 21), potential to develop etc.

I don’t think it’s a particularly expensive risk for them either, a backup gk or their current one, Luke Daniels could deputise if he needs to be dropped, and if you’ve hired a specific Spanish goalkeeper coach based on a similar model (as in a reputable/experienced/potential coach) you’ve got time to work with him and build on Raya’s obvious talent.

I am currently not very pleased about this but I think the final feeling I’ll have will be down to his replacement. Nobody can argue that we’d concede less with a less “erratic” and more dominant and vocal keeper!

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • Backroom

Doesn't surprise me. Decent coaching and a solid style of play will improve any player. I don't think we have either here at senior level, so, we see almost all of our players under-performing on a fairly consistent basis. 

• Like 4

Such short memories sometimes...

When Mowbray installed Raya as no 1 he papped on about his quick distribution and operating off his line and how that would serve us well then we continued to play a style that made no use of that really. 

Brentford said the same when they signed him that's why they were after him because he fits their core style they've played for years and keepers like that are rare. Must admit although i think he's still a good prospect i never saw in him the future big star some do but each to their own.

However he just didn't fit our style but some of the clangers he dropped had nothing to do with that, weak defence didn't help him of course. 

Apart from when the Graham, Dack long ball old school approach clicks who does fit 'our' style ?  

• Like 1

Whilst it was a disappointment to see Raya go I'm surprised how quickly he is settling there. I'm especially surprised about the comments of commanding the area, which seemed a weakness, but if true really highlights how poor our keeper coaching and development and the defensive set up is. 

As for which keeper would be good for us in our system - system specific (as opposed to Brad because he's the best keeper we've ever had) I'd say Robinson. His long kicks really were accurate and would give Gally and Graham some good balls to do something with. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

https://www.griffinpark.org/forums/showthread.php?t=132179&page=4

Thought I'd have a look at how he was getting on at Brentford. Seems to have won their fans over, a few comments below from the thread:

Reminds me a bit of Ederson at city.

I like him, he’s definite and comes for everything

Said he’d be good. Always looking to play quick. Solid again.

excellent today

Definite improvement, he takes control of situations that Bentley would have left to the defenders.

Very, very good performance.. Great save second half

........... very good again...........

Watched him warming up today. Outstanding shot stopper. Good in the air too. Really rate him!

Incredibly quick and decisive. That may lead to a howler or two but, once he really gets an understanding with the centre backs, I think he's going to be superb.

Love this guy already.

Very impressed.

He is a massive plus

Looks an excellent acquisition to me

Hes looking like a great signing. Hes very quick and decisive off his line.

He is very good isn't he.

Exceptional keeper. ??

He's a very good footballer. And a commanding keeper so far, especially for one lacking a little in height. Breeding confidence amongst those in front of him.

Looks an excellent signing. Really confident on the ball and the defenders seem to have confidence in him too. We played out v well at times today. Also like the way he catches crosses but didn’t have a lot else to do today!!

I really like him though. His distribution is the best I’ve ever seen.

He’s good isn’t he. Terrific footballer #ping

He’s been superb in our league games.
Comes for everything and excellent distribution, great signing

Been superb so far.

Possible game changing signing. Seems to read the game very well, has confidence and presence and his distribution is excellent.

Just seems safe and reliable,

He made one of his few saves towards the end of the game. I’m not quite sure how he did it and it’s not on the Highlights, but it looked li like a one handed claim for the ball a bit like Pat Jennings used to do. It was another bit of class.

His cross claiming has been impressive so far. Very happy and seems an upgrade to me..

Agree. It's been brilliant. Can't remember anyone better in the last 25 years

But his positive attitude and confidence in owning the area is a massive difference this year.

Interesting the amount of people claiming how he 'owns the area' and is very commanding. With the right coaching, and some experience (he's still very young for a keeper), he's going to be a very, very good keeper. Can't help but feel we've made a mistake selling him.

That’s funny, because I saw an utterly useless keeper cost us game after game with his rash decision making. I’m glad he’s gone. 

• Like 1

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

Reads like a different player.

It just shows what good coaching can do. It was mentioned on here!

As was his potential. He may well have not reach that potential (and may still fade away) but it was pretty criminal not to invest and investigate further. 

With Walton it's a bit of a no win situation. If he shows promise and does better than Raya he won't be here next season / would cost more than Raya did to buy - ie we couldn't afford him. Or he does worse and we have a weaker keeper and that's assuming he stays. 

I was always confident this would happen. In most cases, if Brentford want your player you shouldn't be letting him go, definitely not for cheap. King of recruitment outside the PL. Also, raya was always more of a continental keeper, his distribution has always been good, he's good with the ball and fast on his feet, a perfect sweeper keeper for a Brentford side who play a lot more attractive football than we do. He'll be in the prem/la liga in the next year or so.

3 hours ago, RV Blue said:

Didn’t take a genius to see that Raya will go right to the top, biggest error in Mowbray’s (ever growing) catalogue.

Right to the top? Of what? The Championship?

No way he is a top-class keeper in the making. Could he do a job for a premier league side? Probably, at some point. But we will never hear anyone saying that Raya is one of the best keepers in the Premier League. 

19 minutes ago, Rovers1994 said:

I. Also, raya was always more of a continental keeper, his distribution has always been good, he's good with the ball and fast on his feet, a perfect sweeper keeper

His kicking was shyte last season, he flaps under pressure ,his decision making is poor, too small with corners and crosses and he doesn’t dominate his area.....and he’s liable to make a monumental cock up that costs a goal

decent shot stopper but that it. Brentford can have him

4 hours ago, RV Blue said:

Didn’t take a genius to see that Raya will go right to the top, biggest error in Mowbray’s (ever growing) catalogue.

Then why isn't he at a top premiership or European club ?? Thing is he is at Brentford a middle of the road Championship team

1 hour ago, 1864roverite said:

Then why isn't he at a top premiership or European club ?? Thing is he is at Brentford a middle of the road Championship team

cuz hes not the finished article just yet. hes very young for a gk too. once everything clicks fro him as he matures further, hell be in the prem no doubt

Raya has probably only played half a dozen games for them. Is that sufficient to judge him on? Here are some of the early comments on here about Smallwood after he started playing for us, but now everyone wants to get rid -

"he's a solid professional who knows exactly what he should and shouldn't do"

"probably the one real success"

"ive been very impressed "

" has been nothing short of a revelation since coming here "

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rovers1994 said:

cuz hes not the finished article just yet. hes very young for a gk too. once everything clicks fro him as he matures further, hell be in the prem no doubt

I don't agree if he was good enough he would be getting games at a lesser team in the top league, he isn't going to improve any further playing at Championship level. He would learn more get better with improved coaching and better players around him.