BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Raya joins Brentford

8 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Reads like a different player.

It just shows what good coaching can do. It was mentioned on here!

A lot. Walton coming in along with a proper goalkeeping coach and letting Leutwiler go instead of Raya would have been preferable.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

A lot. Walton coming in along with a proper goalkeeping coach and letting Leutwiler go instead of Raya would have been preferable.

That is another interesting aspect to the whole thing. If Raya was treated a bit harshly and his talent debated as not good enough how on earth did Leutwiler get retained? Appreciate he is cheap and an understudy but if it were a case of improving standards motivating Ray's sale (regardless of the outcome) then no way Leut should've stayed. 

• Like 1

Just now, Blue blood said:

That is another interesting aspect to the whole thing. If Raya was treated a bit harshly and his talent debated as not good enough how on earth did Leutwiler get retained? Appreciate he is cheap and an understudy but if it were a case of improving standards motivating Ray's sale (regardless of the outcome) then no way Leut should've stayed. 

Like Downing before him I think Raya went to Mowbray’s office and said I want to leave. Tony being Tony likely said if you don’t want to be here then go.

Meanwhile Leutwiler said after two years on the bench... I’ve really enjoyed these last two years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Like Downing before him I think Raya went to Mowbray’s office and said I want to leave. Tony being Tony likely said if you don’t want to be here then go.

Meanwhile Leutwiler said after two years on the bench... I’ve really enjoyed these last two years.

Waggot confirmed Raya asked to leave and his agent was activey seeking a transfer after he was dropped towards the end of last season

Both at fault really for not handling it well.  Mowbray openly dug him out whilst ignoring the other glaringly poor form of his key defenders and in my mind he either never was one of the favs or they sniffed a transfer fee, probably a bit of both.

Raya obviously has a fragile ego and took it badly instead of on the chin the managers concerns were justified but he shouldn't have hung him out to dry. Raya again surely knew he had things he really needed to work on but perhaps he voiced his concern over what was in front of him etc and that pricked Mowbrays ego.

And what did the likes of Mulgrew have to say about it seeing as he was running the dressing room allegedly ?

Verdict = Situation untenable, nobody covered in glory not least the club for grabbing the money then not insisting we signed a proper replacement.

• Backroom

I’ve said before that he needed a new coach maybe.

I was potentially being harsh on benson as I know nothing about him but he wasn’t improving, his instincts remained superb but the finer arts of the goalkeeping craft weren’t there.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Tom said:

I’ve said before that he needed a new coach maybe.

I was potentially being harsh on benson as I know nothing about him but he wasn’t improving, his instincts remained superb but the finer arts of the goalkeeping craft weren’t there.

I agree with you Tom, other than the bit in bold. Raya will be a top level goalkeeper and move for mega millions in the future. I see a lot in him as I saw in Shay Given as a youngster. It just needs good coaching and encouragement to nurture and bring out the best in him. I don't blame him for asking for a transfer. The fact he was sold, typifies the club. By comparison, Walton isn't a goalkeepers' cousin!

On 06/09/2019 at 03:01, LeftWinger said:

https://www.griffinpark.org/forums/showthread.php?t=132179&page=4

Thought I'd have a look at how he was getting on at Brentford. Seems to have won their fans over, a few comments below from the thread:

Reminds me a bit of Ederson at city.

I like him, he’s definite and comes for everything

Said he’d be good. Always looking to play quick. Solid again.

excellent today

Definite improvement, he takes control of situations that Bentley would have left to the defenders.

Very, very good performance.. Great save second half

........... very good again...........

Watched him warming up today. Outstanding shot stopper. Good in the air too. Really rate him!

Incredibly quick and decisive. That may lead to a howler or two but, once he really gets an understanding with the centre backs, I think he's going to be superb.

Love this guy already.

Very impressed.

He is a massive plus

Looks an excellent acquisition to me

Hes looking like a great signing. Hes very quick and decisive off his line.

He is very good isn't he.

Exceptional keeper. ??

He's a very good footballer. And a commanding keeper so far, especially for one lacking a little in height. Breeding confidence amongst those in front of him.

Looks an excellent signing. Really confident on the ball and the defenders seem to have confidence in him too. We played out v well at times today. Also like the way he catches crosses but didn’t have a lot else to do today!!

I really like him though. His distribution is the best I’ve ever seen.

He’s good isn’t he. Terrific footballer #ping

He’s been superb in our league games.
Comes for everything and excellent distribution, great signing

Been superb so far.

Possible game changing signing. Seems to read the game very well, has confidence and presence and his distribution is excellent.

Just seems safe and reliable,

He made one of his few saves towards the end of the game. I’m not quite sure how he did it and it’s not on the Highlights, but it looked li like a one handed claim for the ball a bit like Pat Jennings used to do. It was another bit of class.

His cross claiming has been impressive so far. Very happy and seems an upgrade to me..

Agree. It's been brilliant. Can't remember anyone better in the last 25 years

But his positive attitude and confidence in owning the area is a massive difference this year.

Interesting the amount of people claiming how he 'owns the area' and is very commanding. With the right coaching, and some experience (he's still very young for a keeper), he's going to be a very, very good keeper. Can't help but feel we've made a mistake selling him.

That's not OUR Raya, "comes fir5 everything"  WTF is that?  Was he being told not to step off his line here.  Sounds like a totally different keeper than the one we had, DECISIVE?  When was he ever decisive.

• Like 1

On 06/09/2019 at 07:32, Sparks Rover said:

His kicking was shyte last season, he flaps under pressure ,his decision making is poor, too small with corners and crosses and he doesn’t dominate his area.....and he’s liable to make a monumental cock up that costs a goal

decent shot stopper but that it. Brentford can have him

Ditto.  So where have all these Brentford plaudits come from.  Early days I suppose and we were pretty high on him early doors too.

Just now, renrag said:

When  Raya was “done”  at WBA, he was so important to the manager, that Mowbray allowed or encouraged Raya to continue playing instead of immediately having surgery to rectify the damage. Carrying such a severe injury would make most people wary of physical contact, never mind the rigors of professional football.

Raya’s form or judgement was never the same after the injury and perhaps the reason for his upturn in form with Brentford is because corrective surgery has restored his confidence, and he will become the outstanding goalkeeper predicted by many

Agree with the comments re the injury caused by a deliberate kick from the b'stard Rodriques.

Mowbray forced Raya back far too early as he, Mowbray, had dismally failed to sign a decent No 2 and only had the inept Swiss Canadian whatever.

Atrocious team management by Mowbray who then casts Raya to the wolves when he, Mowbray, is again found out for failing to strengthen the overall defence.

Mowbray is a master of blame apportionment that does not involve him or his coaches.

I remain amazed that so many still fall for his constant bullshit.

For the record, I was never that much of a Raya fan either but his treatment was appalling. I would be pleased now if Raya goes on to have a stellar career and shows Mowbray up for the loudmouthed bumbler he is.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Agree with the comments re the injury caused by a deliberate kick from the b'stard Rodriques.

Mowbray forced Raya back far too early as he, Mowbray, had dismally failed to sign a decent No 2 and only had the inept Swiss Canadian whatever.

Atrocious team management by Mowbray who then casts Raya to the wolves when he, Mowbray, is again found out for failing to strengthen the overall defence.

Mowbray is a master of blame apportionment that does not involve him or his coaches.

For the record, I was never that much of a Raya fan either but his treatment was appalling. I would be pleased now if Raya goes on to have a stellar career and shows Mowbray up for the loudmouthed bumbler he is.

This is where we differ. I would be pleased to see the Rovers have a stellar future and Mowbray prove us wrong. As for Raya, just another ex player.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

For the record, I was never that much of a Raya fan either but his treatment was appalling. 

Goalie makes lots of points costing mistakes and generally looks iffy, manager gets rid.  Nothing to see here.  

Treated appallingly? Did we not pay him his wages or something?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I wonder if his treatment would've been different had TM signed him, or even more so had he signed him from Boro or another previous club ?

Where's the human angle on that one ?

I wasn't a huge Raya fan but could see his good points and would have preferred to keep him in the squad and give him an experienced coach to work under and proper no 1 competition to work with. As always here these days its been done instead in a penny pinching way that will cost more in the long run.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Goalie makes lots of points costing mistakes and generally looks iffy, manager gets rid.  Nothing to see here.  

Treated appallingly? Did we not pay him his wages or something?

Keeper. Kicked in the head. Needs surgery. No keeper back up. Misses 1 game. His game deteriorates further.

OK nothing to see here. 

Edited by AllRoverAsia

Just now, tomphil said:

I wonder if his treatment would've been different had TM signed him, or even more so had he signed him from Boro or another previous club ?

I wasn't a huge Raya fan but could see his good points and would have preferred to keep him in the squad and give him an experienced coach to work under and proper no 1 competition to work with. As always here these days its been done instead in a penny pinching way that will cost more in the long run.

I will have to think about that ?

• Backroom
41 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Honestly I think with the coaching we have in place Raya would likely not have improved much if at all. His career will likely benefit being somewhere that better suits his strengths rather than his weaknesses. It sounds like he's doing more short distribution at Brentford rather than the long punts he was doing here. Ironically we seem to be attempting to play from the back more this season so he might have actually improved on this aspect, but we'll never know.