BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Raya joins Brentford

57 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Hands up all those outfield players on here who have never done something similar. I know I have.

?️

I can confidently say that I never ever woefully misplaced a pass 'down the wing' to then have the keeper kick it in the net. ?

Really who was the least bit surprised at that mega blooper ?

You'll get a couple of those type of thing from him every season and he'll cost points. He'll also almost single handedly earn as many if not more. That's what you get with these keepers so it's just hope theirs more worldies than basic howlers over a season and you end up in credit.

Personally i'd always take solid over spectacular.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Blue blood said:

Terrible mistake no doubt about it. 

Walton has just as many mistakes in him though, with less talent at shot stopping, and isn't ours so future improvement is irrevent. Not sure this means we should be pleased with our current number 1 whatsoever 

BUT the best case scenario with Raya leaving us is it's fine if we get a better keeper in. We haven't so even if Raya is dodgy (still think he can become a good keeper mind) we're no better off. Hardly cause to celebrate. 

That's the point. Wouldn't have minded Raya going if we'd got someone better.

Instead we got someone of similar ability (opinions differ her I acknowledge) and on loan!

So, in the summer we have to start over again.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Blue blood said:

Terrible mistake no doubt about it. 

Walton has just as many mistakes in him though, with less talent at shot stopping, and isn't ours so future improvement is irrevent. Not sure this means we should be pleased with our current number 1 whatsoever 

BUT the best case scenario with Raya leaving us is it's fine if we get a better keeper in. We haven't so even if Raya is dodgy (still think he can become a good keeper mind) we're no better off. Hardly cause to celebrate. 

The worst part of this saga is that we will almost certainly sign Walton as number one in the Summer. If he does well on loan, Fisher will replace Leutwiler.

Ben likes this

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The other young Brighton goalkeeper that has gone out on loan to Rochdale is getting very good reviews. MOTM today again.

He’s another prone to the odd howler like the pass to the Newcastle forward in the cup but that’s part and parcel of young keepers, especially now teams want to play from the back 

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

Just seen the goal, yeah, it’s a clanger alright!

One thing I will say though, Dean Henderson (our old mate from the league 1 season), dropped loads of clangers for Sheffield United last season, and had even done the same this.

But, on the whole, he’s had plaudits for days for his form for Sheffield United overall....

• Like 1

Raya mush have cost us double figures in terms of errors leading to goals last season and I had no problem with selling him for a good fee and bringing in an experienced number 1. But Walton is on loan, not particularly experienced and make's as many mistakes as Raya. The Boro goal yesterday was poor keeping, he has to deal with the first shot better. For all the mistakes Raya made he was capable of pulling of some stunning saves, Walton's save yesterday is probably the first one I can remember him pulling off. Although I would say Walton is better on dealing with crosses (although that's not difficult) and his kicking is much better than Raya's. 

• Like 1

I said it before and I will say it again. Regardless of the disputed level of Raya, this only benefits us if we have a better keeper in. We don't and he's not even ours so it's hardly a cause to celebrate if Raya drops clangers at Brentford. 

Really hoping we don't sign Walton but get a solid (if unspectacular) keeper who has a bit more experience and consistency. Goodness to go from Flowers, Filan and Friedel in my lifetime to this... 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Really hoping we don't sign Walton but get a solid (if unspectacular) keeper who has a bit more experience and consistency. Goodness to go from Flowers, Filan and Friedel in my lifetime to this... 

....Roger Jones, Paul Bradshaw, Jim Arnold, Terry Gennoe, Bobby Mimms.. think Walton is better than John Butcher though. A position where for most of the last fifty years we were very strong until recent times

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Mowbray wanted experience keeper last summer. But the 2 he line up and held talks with..didn't happened in the end. Think 1 keeper change his mind in the end after we held talks. Something to ask him in the supporter meeting

We have been linked with experience number 1 so far..

Edited by chaddyrovers

17 minutes ago, Rogerb said:

....Roger Jones, Paul Bradshaw, Jim Arnold, Terry Gennoe, Bobby Mimms.. think Walton is better than John Butcher though. A position where for most of the last fifty years we were very strong until recent times

Most before my time (bar Mimms) I think but yes, we have had a rich history of keepers. In fact the only bad one I can think of prior to Venkys was Fettis and in fairness he was 3rd choice brought in because of bad look with injuries. 

Since Venkys we have had Steele, Kean and Walton - makes you weep. 

Incidentally on this had we had better keepers since Venkys and good management perhaps Raya would have had a few more loans out and ironed out his mistakes elsewhere before becoming a top keeper for us, rather than becoming the first choice keeper by virtue of not being appalling. Perhaps not but not occured to me. 

13 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mowbray wanted experience keeper last summer. But the 2 he line up and held talks with..didn't happened in the end. Think 1 keeper change his mind in the end after we held talks. Something to ask him in the supporter meeting

We have been linked with experience number 1 so far..

Good to know we were after better than we got but begs the questions as to why we sold before we had one lined up and why we deviated so much from what we wanted when our original targets said no? The Walton deal seems as far away from what we wanted as possible and makes no sense. Am sure there must have been other experienced keepers out there too, even if just a loan. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Good to know we were after better than we got but begs the questions as to why we sold before we had one lined up and why we deviated so much from what we wanted when our original targets said no? The Walton deal seems as far away from what we wanted as possible and makes no sense. Am sure there must have been other experienced keepers out there too, even if just a loan. 

Well Mowbray explained that Raya wanted out and more here. 

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18062035.history-will-tell-us---mowbrays-verdict-raya-departure/

On the keeper search

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18061508.mowbray-explains-rovers-keeper-search-raya-exit/

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Interestingly he says we'd address it again in January. That one fell flat. 

Seems like we were unfortunate in 2 keepers turning us down, but shows the risk of getting rid of players before replacements are lined up. Walton though again seems polar opposite to what we wanted in every sense (according to this article) so it's a very odd back up plan to have. Not sure this puts TM in a good.light. 

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

The same  Mowbray just one month before said 'You want to strengthen before you lose any players and other clubs are saying the same.' Yet one month later he let Raya go before he had strengthened, very poor operating in the transfer market once again by Mowbray.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/17732435.mowbray-rovers-stand-terms-transfer-deals/

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Interestingly he says we'd address it again in January. That one fell flat. 

Seems like we were unfortunate in 2 keepers turning us down, but shows the risk of getting rid of players before replacements are lined up. Walton though again seems polar opposite to what we wanted in every sense (according to this article) so it's a very odd back up plan to have. Not sure this puts TM in a good.light. 

Well we didn't address the keeper issue down to Walton staying with us. And being number 1 here. 

We are scouting keepers and being linked with keepers. 

Walton was signed towards the end of July. Plus depends on the terms we got the loan. I don't think he been has bad as some of you posted. Yes he made some mistakes but every keeper doed including the best ones in the world. 

1 minute ago, Ewood Ace said:

The same  Mowbray just one month before said 'You want to strengthen before you lose any players and other clubs are saying the same.' Yet one month later he let Raya go before he had strengthened, very poor operating in the transfer market once again by Mowbray.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/17732435.mowbray-rovers-stand-terms-transfer-deals/

Well you already told you why Raya went so it's a mooted point. I said last April Raya would be sold in the summer. Clear to see. We had 2 line up but in the end went back home..

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Well you already told you why Raya went so it's a mooted point. I said last April Raya would be sold in the summer. Clear to see. We had 2 line up but in the end went back home..

If he knew from April that Raya was leaving that makes it even worse that he was sold before a replacement came in. And it's no good have players lined up you need to get them signed up as Tony himself said 'You want to strengthen before you lose any players'. A shame that he didn't do what he said.