Sign in to follow this  
Stuart

Raya joins Brentford

I still believe selling Raya was the right decision. He cost us far too many points last season. Simple as.

I don't know how people can even comment on the coaching when they barely see any of it? 

Raya has all of the natural attributes to be a top top keeper, what he lacks (decisiveness, distribution, command of the penalty area) can all be coached. I'm not sure our YTS keeper coach had it in him to gain that necessary extra 15% improvement.

If coaching was the only difference between an indecisive flapping keeper with poor distribution and Gordon Banks, surely by now every keeper at big clubs would be unbeatable? Joe Hart enjoyed the best coaching for years and yet turned into a walking calamity.

I suspect goalkeeping coaches do little more than arrange sessions, kick and throw the ball repeatedly at keepers, and do homework on opposition penalty takers, corners and free kicks.

Edited by Exiled in Toronto

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I still believe selling Raya was the right decision. He cost us far too many points last season. Simple as.

I don't know how people can even comment on the coaching when they barely see any of it? 

Mowbray cost us too many points last season.

Would you feel unqualified to comment on poor quality food in a restaurant because you hadn’t seen the chef cooking it?

3 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

If coaching was the only difference between an indecisive flapping keeper with poor distribution and Gordon Banks, surely by now every keeper at big clubs would be unbeatable? Joe Hart enjoyed the best coaching for years and yet turned into a walking calamity.

I suspect goalkeeping coaches do little more than arrange sessions, kick and throw the ball repeatedly at keepers, and do homework on opposition penalty takers, corners and free kicks.

Good point about Hart etc i think certain flaws are ingrained but others can be ironed out through time, experience and of course good coaching. In Harts case i think a lot of it was mental and a touch of the too much too young making him think he was invincible and it was never his fault them when he realised it was he crumbled a bit.  Some get over it some don't, he's a bit like the David Price of football.

On the coaching etc though i really don't see how working under an experienced coach and with other good keepers can't help a young guy IF he'll listen and buy into it.  THe training drills themselves can vary massively from coach to coach you only need to have watched the warm up routines under different ones over recent years.

Iv'e mentioned it many times on here but those under Johm Keeley involving Steele and younger Raya always seemed very thorough and very good. Contrast to when Lambert took over and brought in his guy a fat lad who could barley boot it to the goal from the edge of the box and it changed massively and didn't look very good at all, if one or the other is replicated through the week..well..