I will be happy with:

New

Nyambe Lenihan New Bell

Rothwell Johnson Travis Downing 

Dack

Graham

Arma for Downing around the 60th min.

Brereton for Graham around the 65-70th min

and Depending of the score replace Dack with Galagher whenever we need a goal and Dack is having one of his quite games, or replace him with Adam/Evans if we are leading around the 80th min

Edited by skous18

On 12/07/2019 at 15:03, Bigdoggsteel said:

Just listened to an interview with Stephen Kenny there on Eamon Dunphys show. He said that all Ireland teams from under 15 up to under 21s have been instructed by Ruud Doctor(head of development at the FAI) to play either 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3, nothing else is permitted. 

Not sure about that. Leicester won the league with 4-4-2. Sheffield United got promoted with 3 at the back. It seems to be the way things are going though.

Similar to how Belgium only play one formation through their system.

• Like 1

On 12/07/2019 at 15:03, Bigdoggsteel said:

Just listened to an interview with Stephen Kenny there on Eamon Dunphys show. He said that all Ireland teams from under 15 up to under 21s have been instructed by Ruud Doctor(head of development at the FAI) to play either 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3, nothing else is permitted. 

Not sure about that. Leicester won the league with 4-4-2. Sheffield United got promoted with 3 at the back. It seems to be the way things are going though.

Re the all Ireland set up. I'm not a big fan of deciding on a formation and then shoe horning players into it. You look at what the skill sets your squad has and then you design your system to suit that. In my opinion anyway. It's like Rovers, if we still had Hird and Bailey on the books or even Perez and LeSaux you could play a wing back system but if it's Nyambe and Williams out there you're wasting your time.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Thought this could be the thread to continue the JRC vs. Nyambe chat from the Transfer Talk thread. I wanted to add to the discussion that I think that we may well see JRC as a LWB this season before we see him on the right. With Pickering out, it'll only take Edun to be absent for Mowbray to, perhaps, be pushed into fielding JRC, who played LB at times last year.

Longer-term, I'm not entirely sure what JRC's best role will be. If his mobility and fitness return, he can definitely do a job at RWB, I think, at Championship level. However, pace might be an issue - especially, in a defence that is not blessed with pace as a whole. He may suffer from Rothwell syndrome in taking several years to find a regular position, if he ever does. A few years ago, when clubs played 4-4-2, he'd almost certainly be in the right midfield role.

Though, of course, the biggest doubt is whether his body will hold out for the rigours of the game. The pace with which teams play now with such an emphasis on pressing and running with the ball from deep is amazing. It'd be interesting to know if there are any statistics that compare pro footballers distances and speeds in games now compared to say ten years ago.

People complain about Khadra's crossing against Boro but I would point out that the man was sprinting constantly and it seems hardly surprising that after numerous runs, he has barely the energy to cross accurately, whilst still sprinting with the ball. (Not to mention that there's not much to aim for in the box, given that Gallagher is the only tall forward).

Edit: If new signing Zeefuik can cover LWB, which I have no idea about, I'd be tempted to send Rankin-Costello out on loan, if a League One or Two club came in for him. He clearly needs games to return to fitness and confidence.

Edited by riverholmes

Even if we discard the doubts about the fitness of Rankin Costello, I think the jury is still out as to whether he is up to it at this level any time soon. A loan spell would be ideal but I am not sure that we are in a position to be losing bodies.

He cant defend one on one so full back/wing back doesnt really suit him, but he lacks the pace and individuality I would suggest to play in attack. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, riverholmes said:

Thought this could be the thread to continue the JRC vs. Nyambe chat from the Transfer Talk thread. I wanted to add to the discussion that I think that we may well see JRC as a LWB this season before we see him on the right. With Pickering out, it'll only take Edun to be absent for Mowbray to, perhaps, be pushed into fielding JRC, who played LB at times last year.

Longer-term, I'm not entirely sure what JRC's best role will be. If his mobility and fitness return, he can definitely do a job at RWB, I think, at Championship level. However, pace might be an issue - especially, in a defence that is not blessed with pace as a whole. He may suffer from Rothwell syndrome in taking several years to find a regular position, if he ever does. A few years ago, when clubs played 4-4-2, he'd almost certainly be in the right midfield role.

Though, of course, the biggest doubt is whether his body will hold out for the rigours of the game. The pace with which teams play now with such an emphasis on pressing and running with the ball from deep is amazing. It'd be interesting to know if there are any statistics that compare pro footballers distances and speeds in games now compared to say ten years ago.

People complain about Khadra's crossing against Boro but I would point out that the man was sprinting constantly and it seems hardly surprising that after numerous runs, he has barely the energy to cross accurately, whilst still sprinting with the ball. (Not to mention that there's not much to aim for in the box, given that Gallagher is the only tall forward).

Edit: If new signing Zeefuik can cover LWB, which I have no idea about, I'd be tempted to send Rankin-Costello .out on loan, if a League One or Two club came in for him. He clearly needs games to return to fitness and confidence.

Crossing the ball on the run is a dying art in football.

• Like 1