BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rangers fan here

25 minutes ago, CD_93 said:

Sorry I've offended you with my childish behavior today. I might have plenty of digs in the locker for the Chief Pointer but please don’t make out like I’m not a proper fan or not supporting the team properly in future. Even if I hadn’t sent money to Rangers to watch a pre-season friendly it would be just as valid. You don’t know me and it wasn’t worth a fuss being kicked up.

Now enjoy the rest of your Sunday and stop melting your own head. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/David8Dunn/status/1153014599148605441

Heh ?

100% agree with everything Dunny says in that post. 

Enjoyed the day out,you can't take much from friendlies so it was more about the visit to a new ground for me personally.

Game of two halves,Rangers far the better in the first,we struggled with their pass and move football.The second half we became a little more physical and pressed,thought Rangers struggled with that at times.

A good friendly test for both clubs and our fans made themselves heard.

Best wishes to the Rangers and their fans for the Season ahead.:tu:

• Like 5

Thoroughly enjoyed my first trip to Ibrox and walking around the stadium you really get the sense of just what a huge club it is.  Spent time in a Rangers pub decorated with photos of former heroes - Souness, Dawson, Munro, Tugay, Ferguson, Amoruso amongst them - and the folk couldn't be friendlier.

For a pre-season game it was a competitive, enjoyable affair and served it's purpose in giving players time on the pitch - which is what pre-season is about after all.  Travis and Buckley looked a good partnership in the second half and Hart continued to look decent at left-back. 

I thought we looked good during the first twenty minutes and the last twenty minutes with Rangers dominating the middle part of the game.  We looked better with the high pressing game we played in the second half when younger legs caused them problems,  It was during this latter period that our passing finally started to cause them problems.

• Like 6

The problem is that we can’t bring on seven lots of fresh legs once the season starts. Today’s second half was rather artificial and if the second half was a 1-0 victory (and very nearly a 1-1 draw) then that should play into Mowbray’s thoughts for the 3rd August. Buckley and Butterworth won’t get a look in but Rothwell and Travis cannot be left out after today (and their form at the end of last season). Even the Rangers commentators were gushing about young Joe. If he doesn’t force his way into the starting line up this season he will simply have to leave - maybe even in January. Three year deal or not.

• Like 2

Looking at Rangers' forum, they thought Jayson was excellent and one even asked when they were signing him. I can't marry that up with much of what I've read on here about his performance today? Not that it matters much I guess, as he almost certainly won't play against Charlton.

Most of the Rangers posters said their starting 11 was v strong, perhaps only a couple of players short of their 1st 11, leading to more of them predicting a 3 or 4 goal drubbing (though tbf some also thought we'd be their strongest test to date, and so it proved).  On that score we did well, esp as they've already had several competitive matches, albeit against much inferior opposition.

I'm pretty sure a new GK, Travis, Rothwell & possibly Gallagher will all start versus Charlton. Possibly also a new CB. I think that 1st half team is a long way from TM's preferred first 11 but he clearly needed to give players game time as that, and experimenting with tactics, is what friendlies are for, esp when there's 2 more matches to go (probably more inc some behind closed doors). 

• Like 3

Have to say the three tier Bill Struth Stand is one of the most imposing and impressive stands I have seen in any ground in the UK,love the old facade..a real sense of history.

Just one thing though Gers...give that painted white Roof steel a ruddy good steam clean,it's turning Celtic green!

• Like 1

Just got home after a good trip out with the old man...

We can talk all day about formations and signings BUT... If that back 4 starts for us in the league there is NO CHANCE we will improve this season, never mind threaten the top 6 as the manager says. I'm trying to not get carried away as it's pre season but if Bennett and Mulgrew start and he reverts back to putting Rothwell on the bench then I will be on the manager from the first game of the season to go. I hope its just a team that's been picked for a pre season game and nothing more. 

Few more thoughts:

Travis changed the game, did more in 5 mins than any of our other midfielders, drove forwards well, looks like one of our main players now.

Bell is beyond shite, not a footballing brain in his head and gave the ball away all the time, absolute dogger.

Sam Hart looked a miles better player than Bell when he came on. Got forward well, looked tall, athletic and more capable than Bell. Keep you're eye on this one, I think this lad could be the dark horse to break into the first team. I was impressed... Or maybe it was just Bell was that shit.. Or a bit of both. 

Dack looked knackered and out of ideas, much the same as the last 3rd of last season, I hope he can find form.

I thought Leutweiler generally did well. 

Johnson looks HEAVY and pretty immobile, hopefully other attributes will shine through and he will sit in and do a good defensive job protecting the back 4. 

Buckley was tidy but for all of the plaudits he got he didn't actually really do anything. Touched the ball a lot in ineffective areas of the pitch, didn't give it away but didn't really offer anything either. 

Other than that no one did anything else to report.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Neal said:

Buckley was tidy but for all of the plaudits he got he didn't actually really do anything. Touched the ball a lot in ineffective areas of the pitch, didn't give it away but didn't really offer anything either. 

I thought the through ball one-two with BB that led to the goal was a touch of class 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Neal said:

We can talk all day about formations and signings BUT... If that back 4 starts for us in the league there is NO CHANCE we will improve this season, never mind threaten the top 6 as the manager says. I'm trying to not get carried away as it's pre season but if Bennett and Mulgrew start and he reverts back to putting Rothwell on the bench then I will be on the manager from the first game of the season to go. I hope its just a team that's been picked for a pre season game and nothing more. 

Few more thoughts:

Travis changed the game, did more in 5 mins than any of our other midfielders, drove forwards well, looks like one of our main players now.

Bell is beyond shite, not a footballing brain in his head and gave the ball away all the time, absolute dogger.

Sam Hart looked a miles better player than Bell when he came on. Got forward well, looked tall, athletic and more capable than Bell. Keep you're eye on this one, I think this lad could be the dark horse to break into the first team. I was impressed... Or maybe it was just Bell was that shit.. Or a bit of both. 

Dack looked knackered and out of ideas, much the same as the last 3rd of last season, I hope he can find form.

Johnson looks HEAVY and pretty immobile, hopefully other attributes will shine through and he will sit in and do a good defensive job protecting the back 4. 

Pretty much agree with this.

I'll put my hands up that I had no idea who the left back was when he came on, even thinking he may be a trialist. Thought he was much better than Bell. Also much taller than our other full backs and even got forward a bit. 

Johnson looked spent after about 15 minutes. Very slow and laboured. Didnt really offer anything different to Evans or Smallwood. Hopefully he will improve with more fitness. 

Downing seems a pointless signing. Another Conway. 

If Mowbray starts the season with Travis, Nyambe, Rothwell benched for Downing, Bennett and Evans he needs removing. The impact was instant once Travis and Rothwell came on. 

Edited by benhben
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Neal said:

Few more thoughts:

Very interesting. Thanks  Neal.

• Like 1

Nice one Rangers Fan

We can only hope we can invite your club to Ewood next season for a pre season match however the local old bill might have a say. In saying that you can always send another invite our way, you cant beat a good Sunday afternoon out in Glasgow.

• Like 1

I thought our keeper played really well and Sam Hart has improved by miles since I last saw him. I can only think he is like samson and someone had cut his hair off when he signed. Brereton did well when he came on and was closing down which he isn't famous for and I also thought Bennett played well

Not much else to say without echoing others. Rothwell and Travis have to start

What I noticed was the amount of times a simple unpressured pass was played in such a way that the receiving player was facing his own goal when the ball was under control. This leads to the player naturally playing the ball the way he is facing, in our case backward. We need to pass just in front of the receiving player, this will encourage a forward pass and get the momentum towards the opposition.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rigger said:

What I noticed was the amount of times a simple unpressured pass was played in such a way that the receiving player was facing his own goal when the ball was under control. This leads to the player naturally playing the ball the way he is facing, in our case backward. We need to pass just in front of the receiving player, this will encourage a forward pass and get the momentum towards the opposition.

Thank you for articulating what I have been trying to about Corry Evans.

Can’t play on the half turn and doesn’t give anyone else the chance to.

Travis is light years ahead in this regard.

I honestly think Smallwood is more progressive.

at friendly yesterday, good competitive game for a while but once all the subs start coming on the game always goes a bit flat , good support up from Blackburn and made plenty noise , thought the wee number 7 for Blackburn was a smashing player and the lad who came on , travis ? 

Just now, andy heeps said:

at friendly yesterday, good competitive game for a while but once all the subs start coming on the game always goes a bit flat , good support up from Blackburn and made plenty noise , thought the wee number 7 for Blackburn was a smashing player and the lad who came on , travis ? 

Number 7 was Armstrong - I don’t think he gets the love on here that he should, he’s a real threat and a young bargain to boot.

Travis is the next big thing from our academy, and won’t be a secret for long - thankfully signed a five year contract today!

You lot were a lot better than I anticipated (sorry!), surely should be challenging the green lot this year?

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
Just now, S8 & Blue said:

Thank you for articulating what I have been trying to about Corry Evans.

Can’t play on the half turn and doesn’t give anyone else the chance to.

Travis is light years ahead in this regard.

I honestly think Smallwood is more progressive.

Then I’d recommend visiting an opticians lad. I’m sure there are plenty in your neck of the woods.

• Like 1

Just now, K-Hod said:

Then I’d recommend visiting an opticians lad. I’m sure there are plenty in your neck of the woods.

Sez thee gigs.

Since Richie has signed, he has 3 times as many goals as Evans, and 4 times as many assists.

?

Armstrong is hot and cold in my view. He can be amazing or anonymous.

Let’s hope that all of our prospects mature together this season. With a decent gk and credible cb behind them it could even be a very good side on their day.

They all need to have ‘their day’ on 38-40 days of the season though or it will be another season of unfulfilled potential and we’ll be at Bowyer Mk2 stage.

• Like 1

Just now, Stuart said:

Let’s hope that all of our prospects mature together this season. With a decent gk and credible cb behind them it could even be a very good side on their day.

They all need to have ‘their day’ on 38-40 days of the season though or it will be another season of unfulfilled potential and we’ll be at Bowyer Mk2 stage.

Completely agree.

I’m backing them to surprise us all.

• Like 2

Who was the bloke on the tannoy . Second half there where half a dozen substitutes for both sides, he didn't announce one of them. Rovers score, not a thing. Rangers score but the ref disallows it and gives us a free-kick. A few seconds later the tannoy cuts in, Rangers second goal scored by number eight, somebody or other.

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Different class of player, but he's like Emerton when we played him on the wing.

You could tell what type of day he was going to have in the first 5 minutes. If he could beat his man he'd be like Ronaldo. Otherwise he'd be anonymous and cut back inside every time he got the ball.

If Armstrong has his man for pace he's a terror, otherwise he's awful. He's much better in the middle.