BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sam Gallagher Returns

Good signing bye bye Samuel and Nuttall not good enough for a team we now have. Whichever 2 of Arma Gally Brereton and Graham play there is a fabulous supply line there is strength through the central midfield there is a strong defensive midfield and then there is The Dack bring it on

• Like 3

Welcome back Sam to Ewood.

One thing you must do is watch your performance against Brentford in your last appearance for us when we got relegated.

You were brilliant that day and showed genuine pace and talent.

Things haven’t quite worked out for you since then but Mowbray wants you and that should boost your confidence. He will set you a target for the season and I hope you can meet it.

• Like 4

Just now, tonygreenbank said:

Welcome back Sam to Ewood.

One thing you must do is watch your performance against Brentford in your last appearance for us when we got relegated.

You were brilliant that day and showed genuine pace and talent.

Things haven’t quite worked out for you since then but Mowbray wants you and that should boost your confidence. He will set you a target for the season and I hope you can meet it.

I agree with that. I only saw him post Coyle and I thought he was underwhelming and I have a memory of Mowbray benching him (although I could be wrong). He was immense at Brentford though.

I'm guessing he'll be one of the three attacking players behind Graham, seems to have the technique and nimbleness for it, while also serving as his main understudy in the lone striker role. I'm cautiously optimistic, although I'd be surprised if he scores more than the dozen he bagged last time around. 

Just now, Mattyblue said:

The way I look at it.

A 19 year old Sam Gallagher scored a dozen goals for us in a shambles of a season that ended in relegation.

Compare and contrast to another young forward brought in in much calmer times...

Im not sure I swallow this line about him being hindered by a shambles of a season. I think I would only really buy into it if it was a blip/poorer season within his career, rather than by quite a distance his best to date.

He always played with a partner, whether it was Graham, Emnes or Joao, and he had (a couple of years and at the start of the season especially, an in form) Conway and Marshall playing quite a few crosses, and our side in general was obviously primarily dysfunctional defensively rather than offensively, hence the pile up of 3-2 defeats. His goal return of around 1 in 4 was fairly respectable if very unspectacular.

He was actually far better under Coyle than under Mowbray, where he often played wide towards the end when the goals dried up, something I fear may be replicated if he is played there again.

He definitely has something to his game, hes easily our second best striker, he is fairly quick and although he cant win a flick on to save his life, he has a really good header on him if hes attacking the goal and gets a yard on his man. He was forever offside, often lacked intelligence (somewhat understandable at the age he came in at, but nothing to suggest hes developed since) hes obviously nowhere near prolific at this level and he cant hold the ball up at all.

I'm also unsure that he fits into this supposed technical side Mowbray wants to play, he is quite ungainly and clumsy and technical ability doesnt rank as one of his best attributes.

All this being said, my main gripes with the deal are the cost baring in mind our frailites elsewhere, rather than with the actual player. But he wouldnt get into my team v Charlton.

• Like 1

Just now, 1864roverite said:

??????? What kind of supporter are if I may ask? Get behind the team the club and the player like most of us are doing

This sort of crap seems to be rife at the moment. I am against the signing too, for reasons I have explained, but you can be critical of a signing or of a player whilst still supporting him on a match day and wanting him to do well, which benefits absolutely no one.

• Like 2

Just now, Exiled_Rover said:

Bit of a strange one.

Either signals a change in formation, Brereton being ruled a dud or Graham being thought of as on his last legs.

Playing him out wide would be a waste.

Unfortunately the latter is the only thing certain to happen at some point

Travis can play everywhere , will run his socks off

Nyambe Lenihan New det Bell

Travis Johnson Rothwell

Dack Graham Gallagher

Strong bench with the likes of Bennett, Davenport,, Chapman, Arma, Brereton, Mulgrew, Williams and Downing to come on and mix things up.

squad Looks more healthier just needs a Goalie and defender.

Think Nuttall, Samuel, Smallwood and Evans may leave.

I regard his signing along with BB as investments for the future.

They are costly signings to be sure but in the light of deals being negotiated in the current climate they are a risk worth taking.

Our manager has made a decision which I’m sure the owners agree with and I’m happy with that.

I would be astonished if deals for a goalkeeper and defenders (probably on loan) were not in place by the end of the window.

Id love a proper winger but it wont happen, wouldnt be too bad if our full backs could cross a ball. However fairly happy with attacking players now, so please for goodness sake, sign a centre half. I just cannot watch mulgrew at centre half all season, again.

Just now, tonygreenbank said:

I regard his signing along with BB as investments for the future.

They are costly signings to be sure but in the light of deals being negotiated in the current climate they are a risk worth taking.

Our manager has made a decision which I’m sure the owners agree with and I’m happy with that.

I would be astonished if deals for a goalkeeper and defenders (probably on loan) were not in place by the end of the window.

Hopefully police constable.

43 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Yep, as I alluded to earlier in the week you've got to assume this is Graham's last season as first choice too. We now have 2 apprentices in learning from the master.

The problem with Danny is that we never know which morning he will wake up and his legs feel like they are wading through blancmange plus he is at an age when recovery from njury is that bit tougher. I seriously hope Danny has another player of the season trophy this time next year but nobody knows when we need a new main man.

Gallagher did a very solid job in a terrible season under management which was clueless to be charitable. I wouldn't have prioritised signing Gally but this is the clearest indication possible that the club is looking long term as well as building a very well balanced squad between seniors and prospects.

• Like 2

I can just about get on board with signing him for the future. Although 4-5 million is steep. But if we fail to sign 1 maybe 2 centre halves and a keeper because there’s nothing left in the kitty then it’s a foolish buy.

Think can only judge these signings after business is concluded and can see what we’ve got (or haven’t got). 

Last season the number of times we lost points after graham went off was embarrasing. That is why this is a good signing, i think he can do the graham job. Not too bothered about 20 plus goals from him, 10-15 wil do. We dont dont need a 20 plus striker because we have a 15 plus midfielder in dack and another potential one in rothwell. We arent the side that had gestede and rhodes scoring all the time, we have a good 5 players who are capable of scoring 10 plus.

• Like 2