BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sam Gallagher Returns

i think Mowbray saw last season that at his age its getting harder for Graham to play 3 times in 7 days and with a lot of midweek games in this league we need a second forward to lead the line when Graham gets a rest,He doesnt seem to have confidence in Brereton to do it yet so Gallagher could turn out to be a good signing taking up the slack when Graham is done.

• Like 1

I like him as a player. I am however confused why we bought him when we clearly need defenders and in Ben Brereton we have a very similar player.

If we play 4231 as we surely will, with Dack guaranteed the 10, and Graham the 9 it means we have Rothwell, Chapman, Downing, Brereton, Armstrong  and Gallagher chasing the other two attacking spots, and the odd covering role when Graham or Dack are  injured. And that's not to even to mention Nuttall, Samuel and Butterworth.

Seems a case of over supply to me.

Happy with this signing but we need to shift some out now.

Obvious candidates are Nuttall and Samuel.

Mowbray has spoken in the past about our reliance on Graham and we might see him used less and Gallagher more this season, to go along with this alleged new set up.

Or we could sit him on the bench next to another very expensive sub.

Just now, tonygreenbank said:

I regard his signing along with BB as investments for the future.

They are costly signings to be sure but in the light of deals being negotiated in the current climate they are a risk worth taking.

Interesting points.

It seems a little like Mowbray is building for 2020/21 but forgetting a little about 2019/20.

We have no divine right to think that we can be promoted by planning slowly and methodically any more than we have to believe that we can get away with not planning for this season and not flirt with relegation. And right now we have a relegation-battle standard back 5.

IMHO:

A861341F-D4FC-45BF-AAA5-60E39CD83C28.thumb.jpeg.796e955676a2886cd12fb0b7cca3a03c.jpeg

Black = gone; Red = planning without; blue = current first team; white = understudy; orange = challenging for squad place (yes, Williams is listed twice).

I just can’t see how we can fit Adam and Butterfield into that already congested midfield - even if Smallwood and Evans left - unless Mowbray has already written off Butterworth and Buckley.

• Like 1

Very happy with Gallagher's return. His goal against Wolves stands out for me. We now have a plethora of early to mid-20 somethings who have the potential to develop into even better players: Gallagher, Brereton, Dack, Rothwell, Armstrong, Travis, Lenihan, Nyambe...and that's before you consider the likes of Buckley, Butterworth and Magloire who are even younger. Add this to the experience of Graham, Johnson, Downing, Evans and Mulgrew and I think we've got a good balance. I wouldn't be averse to Adam signing either for the same reasons. Sort out the keeper situation and sign a commanding defender and I think we'll have had a very good window 

• Like 5

Im not overly impressed with this. He haven't exactly been banging in the goals. Its a decent signing, not great. Besides that Im still confused about all this talk about our overseas scouting department when all we are signing are players from the UK.

• Like 1

For what it is worth, I believe that this is a great signing for more reasons than one.

First, I think he is a good player with great potential.

Second and probably more important, he has stuck out to sign for us against other teams in our division.  This sends a message to other players that we are serious and worth it, as that attitude will be noted.  As a result I believe that it will also help to keep Dack here until at least Christmas.  Therefore the signing is invaluable.

Having said that, we now need a big uncompromising centre back who will stick his head where others would think twice about putting a boot and if possible a left back who can defend.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, 47er said:

Welcome back Sam!

His career went downhill after he left us. Let's hope he shows Blackburn form not Birmingham!

Happy with this while his time at Birmingham was not great he joined them under Harry redknapp when they signed 13 new players and where a bit of a basket case. Hopefully now he's found a settled club and can get his head down confident he has a home not just getting loaned here and there he can kick on. 

• Backroom

I fear our fans are expecting too much of him, but on the other hand if we've spent £4-5m on him then we are entitled to expect a decent return in front of goal. Might be difficult if he's playing on right wing but maybe Mowbray will surprise us. 

I'll withold judgement on this signing overall until I see who we bring in at the back. 

Edited by DE.
  • Like 1

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That was then. What's he done since ?

Nothing. A career that was drifting, like so many PL academy graduates. But it’s previous in this division, in a relegated team.

End of the day he’s here and it’s more of a pedigree than the other fella (and a considerably cheaper fee).

Edited by Mattyblue

2 hours ago, tonygreenbank said:

I regard his signing along with BB as investments for the future.

The academy is there for the future.  £12m spent in this league, by a club like ours must provide first team regulars.  There really can’t be any arguments with that. 

• Like 3

Delighted with his signing. 

Hes a very useful player and He’s only going to get better.

no issue with the fee providing we sign a keeper and defence gets sorted as I think he will prove value for money and at some point we will get a return on his investment.

welcome back sam

• Like 4

I think had the obvious holes in the squad already been filled then this would be a decent signing. 

As a result I'll hold out on being critical. It's all about opportunity cost. Have we prevented ourselves signing a 5m top half championship standard defender by bringing in Sam? 

Or is this just a chunk off a 15-20m war chest with the rest plowed into defence. 

I hope the latter, however realistically expect the former

But all this is not Sam's fault and hope he turns into a good one! 

Edited by bboy

3 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

??????? What kind of supporter are if I may ask? Get behind the team the club and the player like most of us are doing

I will get behind the club when venkyscum clear off. As it is mowbary is a useless clueless manager, his signings are mediocre to say the least. Johnson could turn out to be a decent signing but his priorities are all wrong. Defence. Defence, defence. His scattergun approach is baffling. Dean Smith had the ability at Brentford to pick a player, maupay being a good example. Mowbary has no imagination. He just goes for former players and players he's worked with. He's a clown. We need a manager that can inovate 

5 hours ago, Stuart said:

Negative:

Even ignoring the holes in our squad, I think this is a poor value and unnecessary signing. £5m could have been better spent - as could £7m last season. (Although posting it as “undisclosed” will no doubt make this another regular yet dull flex-type debate).

Second, how does he fit into our first team? 60th minute replacement for Graham? Or genuine challenger to displace him? Or yet another converted wide man? This also makes the signing of Brereton make even less sense - or is an admission of error on Mowbray’s part. Is he going to be loaned out? If not, the only other way this one makes any sense is if Dack is on his way or Graham is finished.

Having an embarrassment of riches in the final third is no good if the defensive third is just an embarrassment.

Mowbray cannot bemoan the cost/wages of defenders and/or goalkeepers when he spends half of the budget on a player we just don’t need.

Positive:

We could have bought a worse unnecessarily player.

Ooooh tickled me did that Stuart.

3 hours ago, davulsukur said:

Happy with this signing but we need to shift some out now.

Obvious candidates are Nuttall and Samuel.

Mowbray has spoken in the past about our reliance on Graham and we might see him used less and Gallagher more this season, to go along with this alleged new set up.

Or we could sit him on the bench next to another very expensive sub.

Don't forget Mowbary signed him so we may not see him till March or April.

5 hours ago, roverandout said:

Shite player..waste of money..fuming. that's all I have to say

22 minutes ago, roverandout said:

I will get behind the club when venkyscum clear off. As it is mowbary is a useless clueless manager, his signings are mediocre to say the least. Johnson could turn out to be a decent signing but his priorities are all wrong. Defence. Defence, defence. His scattergun approach is baffling. Dean Smith had the ability at Brentford to pick a player, maupay being a good example. Mowbary has no imagination. He just goes for former players and players he's worked with. He's a clown. We need a manager that can inovate 

None of which will matter to you, you’re on record saying you won’t go again until Venkys have gone. After that your constant daily posts about how everything is shit carry very little weight.

The sane amongst us will wait until the end of the window, then make a judgement. 

It’s blindingly obvious what’s needed next. I’ll not repeat it.

Good signing though.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Im not sure I swallow this line about him being hindered by a shambles of a season. I think I would only really buy into it if it was a blip/poorer season within his career, rather than by quite a distance his best to date.

He always played with a partner, whether it was Graham, Emnes or Joao, and he had (a couple of years and at the start of the season especially, an in form) Conway and Marshall playing quite a few crosses, and our side in general was obviously primarily dysfunctional defensively rather than offensively, hence the pile up of 3-2 defeats. His goal return of around 1 in 4 was fairly respectable if very unspectacular.

He was actually far better under Coyle than under Mowbray, where he often played wide towards the end when the goals dried up, something I fear may be replicated if he is played there again.

He definitely has something to his game, hes easily our second best striker, he is fairly quick and although he cant win a flick on to save his life, he has a really good header on him if hes attacking the goal and gets a yard on his man. He was forever offside, often lacked intelligence (somewhat understandable at the age he came in at, but nothing to suggest hes developed since) hes obviously nowhere near prolific at this level and he cant hold the ball up at all.

I'm also unsure that he fits into this supposed technical side Mowbray wants to play, he is quite ungainly and clumsy and technical ability doesnt rank as one of his best attributes.

All this being said, my main gripes with the deal are the cost baring in mind our frailites elsewhere, rather than with the actual player. But he wouldnt get into my team v Charlton.

A genuine concern.

• Like 1