BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sam Gallagher Returns

1 hour ago, den said:

The academy is there for the future.  £12m spent in this league, by a club like ours must provide first team regulars.  There really can’t be any arguments with that. 

I totally agree Den. A £12m investment with the first team should hopefully produce a future profit. 

3 hours ago, Stuart said:

Interesting points.

It seems a little like Mowbray is building for 2020/21 but forgetting a little about 2019/20.

We have no divine right to think that we can be promoted by planning slowly and methodically any more than we have to believe that we can get away with not planning for this season and not flirt with relegation. And right now we have a relegation-battle standard back 5.

IMHO:

A861341F-D4FC-45BF-AAA5-60E39CD83C28.thumb.jpeg.796e955676a2886cd12fb0b7cca3a03c.jpeg

Black = gone; Red = planning without; blue = current first team; white = understudy; orange = challenging for squad place (yes, Williams is listed twice).

I just can’t see how we can fit Adam and Butterfield into that already congested midfield - even if Smallwood and Evans left - unless Mowbray has already written off Butterworth and Buckley.

I would bet they are well down his pecking  order.  One or both will have to have a Travisesque opportunity to force Mowbary to have to take a longer look.  I am firmly in the camp the believes we would not have seen Travis again for some time had it not been for Richie's red card.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, tonygreenbank said:

I totally agree Den. A £12m investment with the first team should hopefully produce a future profit. 

Pretty sure he's not talking about future profit, but first team regulars now.

After years of moving on loan from club to club let's hope Gallagher can put down some roots and blossom into a decent player. Gallagher and Brereton up front with Dack operating between them might work. What I do not want to see is Gallagher playing as one of Mowbray's quasi winger /wide players. 

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

After years of moving on loan from club to club let's hope Gallagher can put down some roots and blossom into a decent player. Gallagher and Brereton up front with Dack operating between them might work. What I do not want to see is Gallagher playing as one of Mowbray's quasi winger /wide players. 

You are going to be disappointed then jim I'm afraid.

4 hours ago, roverandout said:

I will get behind the club when venkyscum clear off. As it is mowbary is a useless clueless manager, his signings are mediocre to say the least. Johnson could turn out to be a decent signing but his priorities are all wrong. Defence. Defence, defence. His scattergun approach is baffling. Dean Smith had the ability at Brentford to pick a player, maupay being a good example. Mowbary has no imagination. He just goes for former players and players he's worked with. He's a clown. We need a manager that can inovate 

Brentford wanted Gallagher

• Like 1

Like the lad, he likes it here - about as close as we're probably gonna get for a Graham replacement right now. DG is still head and shoulders the man at the front but at his age, this can change almost overnight. 

In isolation the signing is a good one - in my opinion anyway. Just bring in a CB (or two) and a GK and this moany old fcker will shut up til January.

6 hours ago, USABlue said:

I would bet they are well down his pecking  order.  One or both will have to have a Travisesque opportunity to force Mowbary to have to take a longer look.  I am firmly in the camp the believes we would not have seen Travis again for some time had it not been for Richie's red card.

Completely agree. He absolutely forced his way in. Yet Mowbray still continues to increase the competition for Travis.

• Like 1

Because he wanted to sign him last summer but missed out. Ergo the Gallagher ‘pot’ for a young, English forward went on BB in the dying embers of the window.

All in my humble, non ITK opinion, of course.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Scotland1 said:

New

New Lenihan New Williams

Rothwell Dack Johnno

Arma Graham Gally

Like Balajis total football 

For me I only really see Lenihan as first choice and I prefer William's at CB over LB. But he ain't good enough to play at CB all season

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Because he wanted to sign him last summer but missed out. Ergo the Gallagher ‘pot’ for a young, English forward went on BB in the dying embers of the window.

All in my humble, non ITK opinion, of course.

Fair enough. Unlikely in my opinion (which is probably less ITK than yours).

Why unlikely? 

What seems unlikely to me is buying an English £7million young 6 foot plus forward in the same summer of purchasing another English 6 foot plus forward for £5million.

But maybe you’re right and that was the plan, it would’ve been some statement of intent for a club straight out of the third division, though odd priorities, no?

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

I think that Mowbray really likes Gallagher but missed out on him for various reasons. I think scouts gave him glowing reports about Brereton and recommended signing him as a player with rich potential on being told that he might be available. I don't see the owners sanctioning the Gallagher transfer if Brereton was signed as an alternative and is yet to make an impact. That would, in essence, make Gallagher a 12m signing.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

We’ll see at the close of the window, let’s await these defenders, net spend of about £1.5 million thus far...

I take it you don’t count Phil Jones as a defender because our net spend is surely less than zero...