BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sam Gallagher Returns

23 minutes ago, USABlue said:

My memory could be playing tricks but iirc we started trying to sign him well before the end of the window but only got the deal through at the death.

I am happy that he WANTS to be here.  My feel is this is going to be either a great signing or a massive flop.  No in between.  Goid5 luck young Gally.

Funny, I actually think it will be in between! Don't see him going superstar but don't see him being awful either, as we've already seen he is alright and has attributes.

• Like 1

I made my feelings known on the transfer thread but he's here now. Hope he can prove himself as a main man of the team rather than just a squad strengthener. Another bonus is he's probably better at defending corners in the air than most of our defenders!

Welcome back Gally.

• Like 1

• J*B unfeatured this topic
1 hour ago, Scotland1 said:

Being honest it’s a question which I’d like to see a journalist from the LT or the fans forum ask? It’s quite important in my eyes, if the clubs honest I think more fans would be understanding of rovers transfer business. Is there a forum soon? It’s a question which would allay fans fears of having a Dack sold this summer. By my maths I think we are good for 18 months but Dack is sellable to bring us under FFP and givesroom to reinvest some proceeds and offset a years loss. 

Is the latest account loss exempt from FFP and part of SCMP? Where a huge loss hit? We must be still at a 10 per annum plus trading costs deficit purely based on salaries exceeding income basis.

Our salary bill is quoted mid tier in the championship, given youth progression and under 24 and 10 appearances from memory including staff and academy how much of the cost of these is exempt? 

Given we’ve missed some targets on fees as they’ve rose with more bidders have we offset the wages against fee principle and signed the likes of Johnson?

We are safe as a club, nothing tangible to strip, ground ain’t disappearing soon,  it’s VLL the parent company owing the debt away from Rovers with guarantees from the VH group to operate and cover losses.

Reality is club is deep for the overdraft at the moment. I can’t believe the FL negotiated Media rights so low for this league the most sixth watched, buying PL reserves is what’s busting most clubs hence we can’t compete with out going away from the model. It’s sensible how we are operating at the moment, it’s like how we used to too, we are relying on selling a gem or in the case of this year promotion. 

Personally promotion sees venkys offset share value off for a PL team sale about 80million, bank a tranche of sky dosh and lose half the lost already. If they stay we don’t spend we go down with the last 7 years being de ja vu. SBOI surely don’t hold assets of what they’ve loaned. For me SBOI difference is probably an asset of securities held, venkys want that back as I believe it’s land has rocketed, SBOI won’t loan more won’t recall following this KPMG new business British model

I'm not having a go at you, Scotland1; but, as someone who hasn't paid as much attention as I probably should have to what's been going on at Ewood since the Walker Trust sold the club, I must say that I switched off from much of the argument you were making because you don't explain what the initials you used in the above text stand for on the first occasion you used them.

While I don't live in the Lancashire Telegraph's circulation area, I've learned that LT is the LET I knew when I lived in Blackburn in the 1970s. And because I follow I football in general, I know what FFP stands for; and because I'm aware of financial institutions in general, KPMG. But initials like SCMP & SBOI mean absolutely nothing to me. So I ignore the point you're trying to make because I don't know what those initials stand for.

So, not just to Scotland1, but to all posters on here; please, please can you explain what the acronyms you use on here actually mean the first time you use them?

Who knows; it may give more weight - and give more support - to your argument?

• Like 3

• Backroom
Just now, m1st said:

I'm not having a go at you, Scotland1; but, as someone who hasn't paid as much attention as I probably should have to what's been going on at Ewood since the Walker Trust sold the club, I must say that I switched off from much of the argument you were making because you don't explain what the initials you used in the above text stand for on the first occasion you used them.

While I don't live in the Lancashire Telegraph's circulation area, I've learned that LT is the LET I knew when I lived in Blackburn in the 1970s. And because I follow I football in general, I know what FFP stands for; and because I'm aware of financial institutions in general, KPMG. But initials like SCMP & SBOI mean absolutely nothing to me. So I ignore the point you're trying to make because I don't know what those initials stand for.

So, not just to Scotland1, but to all posters on here; please, please can you explain what the acronyms you use on here actually mean the first time you use them?

Who knows; it may give more weight - and give more support - to your argument?

SCMP - Salary Cost Management Protocol, essentially the equivalent of FFP for L1+2, I think.

SBOI - State Bank of India.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, des said:

I think for a forward at this level 5mill is not bad hope it works out for us all

If he gets 15 goals plus he’s doubled in value. Asset sales against what we know will always be losses so how long have we got?

persinally for me it’s this season or we strip and start again 

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

SCMP - Salary Cost Management Protocol, essentially the equivalent of FFP for L1+2, I think.

SBOI - State Bank of India.

FFP-Financial Fail Play.

At least that's what I like to believe people are saying when they use those initials.

Edited by Vinjay17
  • Like 3

Just now, Scotland1 said:

If he gets 15 goals plus he’s doubled in value. Asset sales against what we know will always be losses so how long have we got?

persinally for me it’s this season or we strip and start again 

I think they've done some front loading ready for this so one big sale every few seasons is doable without ruining the squad. Batting from a position of relative strength on that score now with value already in the squad rather than the desperate fire sale last time.

Trading club as opposed to a selling one which is good, could all change in blink of an eye though obviously.

11 hours ago, Scotland1 said:

Our wage slips to rovers employees have been from a trust, the accounts suggests venkys group I don’t think they’ve actually inflated sums to cream off us as none are VH employees only VLL. They’ve stood the costs of bad singings, pay offs, umpteen managers and trading at a loss on income to salary for years that is where it’s gone.

Im no venky fan I’ve protested handed out flyers at Ewood you name it but actually they’re behaving and making decisions at the moment worthy of a custodian of a football club. Good luck to them hope it continues, I hope we go up they recoup half there debt which seemed unlikely 2 years ago and sell us recouping even more. 

We can’t complain at the moment, we can’t begrudge legacy issues but we are where we are and they seem to be actually along with Cheston and Co putting a plan together quietly which might against odds work. 

Souness once said said “we’ve got to wee with the willy we’ve got” seems to me we are doing that

8 hours ago, Scotland1 said:

Being honest it’s a question which I’d like to see a journalist from the LT or the fans forum ask? It’s quite important in my eyes, if the clubs honest I think more fans would be understanding of rovers transfer business. Is there a forum soon? It’s a question which would allay fans fears of having a Dack sold this summer. By my maths I think we are good for 18 months but Dack is sellable to bring us under FFP and givesroom to reinvest some proceeds and offset a years loss. 

Is the latest account loss exempt from FFP and part of SCMP? Where a huge loss hit? We must be still at a 10 per annum plus trading costs deficit purely based on salaries exceeding income basis.

Our salary bill is quoted mid tier in the championship, given youth progression and under 24 and 10 appearances from memory including staff and academy how much of the cost of these is exempt? 

Given we’ve missed some targets on fees as they’ve rose with more bidders have we offset the wages against fee principle and signed the likes of Johnson?

We are safe as a club, nothing tangible to strip, ground ain’t disappearing soon,  it’s VLL the parent company owing the debt away from Rovers with guarantees from the VH group to operate and cover losses.

Reality is club is deep for the overdraft at the moment. I can’t believe the FL negotiated Media rights so low for this league the most sixth watched, buying PL reserves is what’s busting most clubs hence we can’t compete with out going away from the model. It’s sensible how we are operating at the moment, it’s like how we used to too, we are relying on selling a gem or in the case of this year promotion. 

Personally promotion sees venkys offset share value off for a PL team sale about 80million, bank a tranche of sky dosh and lose half the lost already. If they stay we don’t spend we go down with the last 7 years being de ja vu. SBOI surely don’t hold assets of what they’ve loaned. For me SBOI difference is probably an asset of securities held, venkys want that back as I believe it’s land has rocketed, SBOI won’t loan more won’t recall following this KPMG new business British model

Never forgive, never forget. 

• Like 2

On 13/07/2019 at 17:50, roversfan99 said:

Very underwhelmed, didnt particularly rate him when he was here last time and that season was by far the best hes had in his career, was dreadful at Birmingham and has spent the last year either injured or in the wilderness.

Think its incredible that we have spent 12m on 2 strikers not as good as the 33 year old we already had, and have spent a couple of hundred grand in the same time period on failing to fix our horrendous defence. Unless Gallagher is joined by a good goalkeeper and the few defenders Mowbray promised to come in, then hes a wreckless and quite frankly idiotic spend of a substantial amount of money. If they do come in then I would consider Gallagher to be much closer to pushing Graham than Brereton has. Hoping for the latter scenario.

Dreadful? Bit harsh.  He played under 4 different managers that season- Harry Redknapp, Lee Carsley, Steve Cotterill and Garry Monk and ended up their top scorer in the league. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 4

Not sure what to make of this. He was okay when he was here, but he doesn't seem to have done much in his year away. The deal does have somewhat of a feeling of an agent saying "these plonkers paid £78 million for Brereton, they'll pay you loads and only expect lower mid-table mediocrity play in return, it's your last chance Sam"

8 minutes ago, Husky said:

Not sure what to make of this. He was okay when he was here, but he doesn't seem to have done much in his year away. The deal does have somewhat of a feeling of an agent saying "these plonkers paid £78 million for Brereton, they'll pay you loads and only expect lower mid-table mediocrity play in return, it's your last chance Sam"

£78 million - no wonder so many question BB signing ?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Husky said:

Nixon will probably be well in the know on this one given the agent and he said 3 mill initially paid which isn't too bad in the grand scheme of things although it seems Raya fees gone directly into this.

That could mean loans or frees for any keeper / defender.

Just now, tomphil said:

Nixon will probably be well in the know on this one given the agent and he said 3 mill initially paid which isn't too bad in the grand scheme of things although it seems Raya fees gone directly into this.

That could mean loans or frees for any keeper / defender.

Nixon hasn't a clue. Some of the tweets he puts out after the fact claiming he was in the know are pathetic. 

A lot of assumptions in the highlighted part, I won't ask for your source :P

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Nixon hasn't a clue. Some of the tweets he puts out after the fact claiming he was in the know are pathetic. 

A lot of assumptions in the highlighted part, I won't ask for your source :P

You're like a stuck record pal most of the stuff on here is assumption and opinion you should know you've just assumed Nixon hasn't a clue when it's well known that in certain cases he has when dots join whether we like it or not, yeah most of the time he's a fantasist obviously but probably not on this one.

As for the other bit we've just sold Raya for a reputed 3 mill before add ons and just signed Gallagher for a reputed 3 million before add ons..........

Sell to buy said the Scottish fool  :) 

• Like 5

Don't agree at all with people saying the forward line is not a priority as imo replacing Graham is equally as much of a priority as the defence.

However, still a very strange signing for me. I'd say even on the best form of his career to date he's clearly not the man to take us forward if we have aspirations of challenging for promotion.

However we're stuck with him now (and vice versa) for the forseeable future so we have to hope his season with us was not the high watermark of his career and that he can improve substantially on the form he showed at Birmingham.

Hope he doesn't just get shunted onto the wing to accomodate Graham though. That would be a waste of (another) 5m.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Don't agree at all with people saying the forward line is not a priority as imo replacing Graham is equally as much of a priority as the defence.

However, still a very strange signing for me. I'd say even on the best form of his career to date he's clearly not the man to take us forward if we have aspirations of challenging for promotion.

However we're stuck with him now (and vice versa) for the forseeable future so we have to hope his season with us was not the high watermark of his career and that he can improve substantially on the form he showed at Birmingham.

Hope he doesn't just get shunted onto the wing to accomodate Graham though. That would be a waste of (another) 5m.

We could have coped without Graham a heck of a lot easier than we would cope without Lenihan.

Hmm, so the talk of shunting him onto the wing got me wondering, did Brum shunt him there? According to the stats I found, they did on 4 occasions. So if you write those off (yes goals can be scored from the wing but it's a lot harder) he scored 7 goals in 30 appearances as a striker for them. That's just under 1 in 4.

Not great, about what you expect from an averageish or slightly poor striker perhaps. However, in his season with us he notched 12 goals in 46, which is just over 1 in 4.

Point being, not actually too dissimilar so he may not have fallen off as badly as suggested. Changes in system or just a bit of bad luck can sometimes account for that level of discrepancy.

One thing with those stats though, transfermarket says he only played one game at left wing for us that season? I thought it was more though. Maybe he moved around during games? Also 4 assists for us and none for Brum in either role.

Still, it has made me feel slightly more upbeat that he might not have regressed as much as we think in the goalscoring stakes. Maybe the right team, environment and system for him can bring more out of him, as I do expect a bit more than 1 in 4 really.

He does also have a bit of a nuisance factor.

• Backroom
1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

Hmm, so the talk of shunting him onto the wing got me wondering, did Brum shunt him there? According to the stats I found, they did on 4 occasions. So if you write those off (yes goals can be scored from the wing but it's a lot harder) he scored 7 goals in 30 appearances as a striker for them. That's just under 1 in 4.

Not great, about what you expect from an averageish or slightly poor striker perhaps. However, in his season with us he notched 12 goals in 46, which is just over 1 in 4.

Point being, not actually too dissimilar so he may not have fallen off as badly as suggested. Changes in system or just a bit of bad luck can sometimes account for that level of discrepancy.

One thing with those stats though, transfermarket says he only played one game at left wing for us that season? I thought it was more though. Maybe he moved around during games? Also 4 assists for us and none for Brum in either role.

Still, it has made me feel slightly more upbeat that he might not have regressed as much as we think in the goalscoring stakes. Maybe the right team, environment and system for him can bring more out of him, as I do expect a bit more than 1 in 4 really.

He does also have a bit of a nuisance factor.

Hard to tell how he's going to fare based on his career so far. Being settled somewhere and (hopefully) playing regularly may well get the best out of him. 

1 hour ago, MarkBRFC said:

Also need to factor in he played next to no football at all last season.

He was injured for the first half of the season.  Hughes clearly rated him before he got the sack. Got some very brief sub appearances under their new manager in PL.

“He (Gallagher) is still injured. He isn’t an option and will be a number of weeks yet,” Hughes said.

“It’s a shame because he is very close and this year I was hoping to give him a little bit of game time in the League Cup, but injuries stopped us having that option.

“Sam has got a lot of attributes that would help us. He is a big guy, young, talented and a lot of power and pace.

“It’s a shame he is unavailable.”

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/17243898.southampton-striker-sam-gallagher-is-still-injured/

I think people have generally slightly under estimated how good Gallagher was whilst he was on loan here, he got 12 goals (one behind Graham who was our top league goalscorer with 13 goals that season). I suspect again he will be used both upfront or as a wide forward depending on how Tony sees fit. I must admit I'm a lot more confident having him as back-up central striker than I was last season when it was Brereton or Nutall filling that role.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, grizfoot said:

I think people have generally slightly under estimated how good Gallagher was whilst he was on loan here, he got 12 goals (one behind Graham who was our top league goalscorer with 13 goals that season). I suspect again he will be used both upfront or as a wide forward depending on how Tony sees fit. I must admit I'm a lot more confident having him as back-up central striker than I was last season when it was Brereton or Nutall filling that role.

Absolutely - definitely an upgrade in terms of backup/competition to DG. Nuttall and Samuel must surely be off (probably loans). Might even spur BB to kick on now too seeing as he has real competition to grab the spot that DG will surely be vacating in a season or two.