BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sam Gallagher Returns

9 hours ago, briansol said:

He was injured for the first half of the season.  Hughes clearly rated him before he got the sack. Got some very brief sub appearances under their new manager in PL.

“He (Gallagher) is still injured. He isn’t an option and will be a number of weeks yet,” Hughes said.

“It’s a shame because he is very close and this year I was hoping to give him a little bit of game time in the League Cup, but injuries stopped us having that option.

“Sam has got a lot of attributes that would help us. He is a big guy, young, talented and a lot of power and pace.

“It’s a shame he is unavailable.”

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/17243898.southampton-striker-sam-gallagher-is-still-injured/

Yeah, so my point still stands.

15 hours ago, tomphil said:

You're like a stuck record pal most of the stuff on here is assumption and opinion you should know you've just assumed Nixon hasn't a clue when it's well known that in certain cases he has when dots join whether we like it or not, yeah most of the time he's a fantasist obviously but probably not on this one.

As for the other bit we've just sold Raya for a reputed 3 mill before add ons and just signed Gallagher for a reputed 3 million before add ons..........

Sell to buy said the Scottish fool  :) 

You are inferring that we needed to sell Raya to sign Gallagher. I don't think that is the case as we have been chasing him  for 3 windows and it has been reported , by Nixon, that we had bids in for him previously. He's a fud. 

6 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You are inferring that we needed to sell Raya to sign Gallagher. I don't think that is the case as we have been chasing him  for 3 windows and it has been reported , by Nixon, that we had bids in for him previously. He's a fud. 

So Nixon has been has reported that we've been after him for 3 windows so that's gospel but i'm repeating Nixons sell to buy which looks to have happened in the case of Raya yet I'M inferring it and Nixon is a fud ????

You're getting worse mate ?

Just now, tomphil said:

So Nixon has been has reported that we've been after him for 3 windows so that's gospel but i'm repeating Nixons sell to buy which looks to have happened in the case of Raya yet I'M inferring it and Nixon is a fud ????

You're getting worse mate ?

No, I am just pointing out that he regularly changes his story and moves the goalposts to suit reality. 

5 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

Yeah, so my point still stands.

Yeah sure, I was just providing context why there was little game time. I'm worrying less when I know that he wasn't sent on loan last season because Hughes thought he had a chance to make an impact in PL. Injuries prevented that under Hughes, and when he was fit he was considered good enough for a few appearances under the new boss.

15 minutes ago, briansol said:

Yeah sure, I was just providing context why there was little game time. I'm worrying less when I know that he wasn't sent on loan last season because Hughes thought he had a chance to make an impact in PL. Injuries prevented that under Hughes, and when he was fit he was considered good enough for a few appearances under the new boss.

Yep, although injuries can be a concern sometimes, especially for players who use pace as a key part of their game. Any idea what kind of injuries?

19 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Yep, although injuries can be a concern sometimes, especially for players who use pace as a key part of their game. Any idea what kind of injuries?

Hamstring I think, but was fit for second half of season. 

• Herbie6590 unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later...

Thought I'd give this a bump as he's had a few games to bed in. Looking promising.

While he has improvement areas he always offers a threat. Also unlike a lot of players where it's quite hard to pin down what they need to do to be a success, Gally is pretty straightforward. Work on his knockdowns and get in the box and finish. If he does that he's going to be a big player for us. Both are solvable things that can be trained.

He's got a combination of pace, strength and aerial ability which is pretty rare. I was skeptical when he first joined but I'm pretty sure he's going to be a success. Think he's good for 10 goals in the season already but I can see him getting 15-20 if he makes his potential.

• Like 1

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

Thought I'd give this a bump as he's had a few games to bed in. Looking promising.

While he has improvement areas he always offers a threat. Also unlike a lot of players where it's quite hard to pin down what they need to do to be a success, Gally is pretty straightforward. Work on his knockdowns and get in the box and finish. If he does that he's going to be a big player for us. Both are solvable things that can be trained.

He's got a combination of pace, strength and aerial ability which is pretty rare. I was skeptical when he first joined but I'm pretty sure he's going to be a success. Think he's good for 10 goals in the season already but I can see him getting 15-20 if he makes his potential.

Not a chance he’s hitting those figures unless he plays up top. He hasn’t really looked like scoring, Tuesday aside, apart from at Fulham. TM needs to work on him being the 1 up top - big time in training, or in a 2. 

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

Have to agree. Before Tuesday you could see why he hadn't scored in 20 odd games.

If he stays on the right hand side he wont hit double figures, play him through the middle every game and stop messing about then he might do.

26 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Not a chance he’s hitting those figures unless he plays up top. He hasn’t really looked like scoring, Tuesday aside, apart from at Fulham. TM needs to work on him being the 1 up top - big time in training, or in a 2. 

I'm assuming that he will move up front. I think that is Tony's plan ultimately.

That said I think he can make 10 goals a season from wide right one he, Downing, Armstrong and Dack click.

• Like 1

Just now, 47er said:

That was a great cross and header at Sheffield though. Shows we have another route to goal which has been almost completely ignored. Wide strikers my arse!

Cross the ball to a very tall lad who thumps a header home. Football can be so simple.

Mind you the SU defence was AWOL

• 5 weeks later...

I read he’s not scored in his last 24 league appearances. This is one hell of a damming statistic. We couldn’t afford to waste money on another non-scoring, expensive striker, but I have a strong feeling Tony’s found one. 

I’m far from their biggest fan but I wouldn’t begrudge the V’s one bit for telling Tony to get on his bike when he comes cap in hand in January.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

8 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

I read he’s not scored in his last 24 league appearances. This is one hell of a damming statistic. We couldn’t afford to waste money on another non-scoring, expensive striker, but I have a strong feeling Tony’s found one. 

I’m far from their biggest fan but I wouldn’t begrudge the V’s one bit for telling Tony to get on his bike when he comes cap in hand in January.

Needs a goal once he gets one he will get firing. Strangely he was like this under TM last time. Was under Coyle where he flourished.

22 minutes ago, Scotland1 said:

Needs a goal once he gets one he will get firing. Strangely he was like this under TM last time. Was under Coyle where he flourished.

Got 1 in the cup and its made no difference. Its a terrible sign as a striker if you arent even getting chances, hes not getting into the positions, not anticipating where the ball will fall. He also quite cowardly passed the buck on at least two occasions when he could have got a shot away instead misplacing passes to no one.

First thing Graham did was peeled off his marker brilliantly and got a shot on target. He also peeled off his marker again soon after and it took a superb defensive block which led to a corner. He also did a couple of lay offs to get a bit of life out of Dack, whereas Gallagher repeatedly lost aeriel duels as he often does in the centre.

Its an embarrassment on behalf of the manager that our only competent striker is our freebie 34 year old when hes blown 15m on incompetent strikers. We seem totally toothless at the moment. 

• Like 8

• Backroom

10 games in and our second highest scorer is Derrick Williams with two. Dack leads the way with three. None of our recognised strikers have more than one and the £12m duo have zero between them -  although at least Brereton has the excuse of being injured at the moment. 

Edited by DE.

Ben Brereton's 2018/19 compared to Sam Gallagher's 2019/20 (similar game time as ST)

Ben Brereton:
Shots PG - 0.6
Successful Dribbles PG - 0.4
Unsuccessful Dribbles PG - 0.4
Unsuccessful Touches PG - 1.2
Dispossessed PG - 1.4
Headers Won Per Game - 1
Percentage of Aerial Duels Won PG - 39% (rounded up)
Accurate Passes PG - 5.3
Inaccurate Passes PG - 1.3
Goals in League - 1
Assists in League - 1

Sam Gallagher:
Shots PG - 1.3
Successful Dribbles PG - 0.8
Unsuccessful Dribbles PG - 0.9
Unsuccessful Touches PG - 2.8
Dispossessed PG - 1.8
Headers Won Per Game - 5.7
Percentage of Aerial Duels Won PG - 45% (rounded up)
Accurate Passes PG - 6.6
Inaccurate Passes PG - 7
Goals in League - 0
Assists in League - 1

Nowhere near good enough, either of them. At least BB has four years on SG to improve.

Mowbray offers explanation for Gallagher's slow start at #Rovers as he backs the £5m to come good https://t.co/l0GdNTB55J

"Sam has to score goals." #Blackburn boss Tony Mowbray admits Sam Gallagher has struggled following his move from Southampton. #bbcfootball #rovers https://t.co/v7fqlBj4VC

Edited by chaddyrovers

51 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mowbray offers explanation for Gallagher's slow start at #Rovers as he backs the £5m to come good https://t.co/l0GdNTB55J

"Sam has to score goals." #Blackburn boss Tony Mowbray admits Sam Gallagher has struggled following his move from Southampton. #bbcfootball #rovers https://t.co/v7fqlBj4VC

“He has to learn the way we play"

We have a way we play?

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Amo said:

“He has to learn the way we play"

We have a way we play?

He means he has to control a ball thumped at him, at height, on the wing, beat 2 defenders and get a cross in for someone who isn't there.

Oh, and get back to defend when his cross is thumped up-field. :)

• Like 1