BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sam Gallagher Returns

I've said all along, if you put him in the right positions and supply him, he will score goals.

He's far removed from the Chris Browns and Ashley Wards, however limited he is in certain areas.

I like Sam; he's honest and hardworking, a nice lad and will end the season on 10-15 goals - to say he's playing mainly as a 'wide forward', that's not bad at all.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, BRFC4EVA said:

Couldn't find another Sam Gally thread..

I think today shows that if you play him in the right position and give him some service he can do a job at this level. 

Yes he is inconsistent and yes he misses plenty of good chances, but stop all this wide forward bollox and you've got a guy who can get many 15 goals a season..

Works hard, good in the air and a powerful strike on him

2 out of 3 isn’t bad but for a really tall guy he’s not a good header of the ball.

I have always said Gallacher was never worth the £5M repaid for him at that time but I have also always said there's a footballer in there somewhere.

That goal yesterday showed what can do. His progress has been hampered by constantly being played out of position.

He's a central striker and he should play there or not play at all. And I agree that he'll score 10-15 goals a season if he plays there regularly.

As for his heading, he has done well but he's very inconsistent with it and not as good as you'd expect from his height and strength.

Edited by 47er
  • Like 1

A superb first half from Gally yesterday, but it doesn't half make me thing of an old Charlie Munger fable.

“A man has this wonderful horse, it's got an easy gait, good-looking, but occasionally it gets dangerous and vicious. The man goes to the vet and says ‘What can I do about this horse?’ And the vet says ‘That’s a very easy problem and I’d be glad to help you. The next time your horse is behaving well, sell it."

• Like 1

It was good to see what Gallagher can do when played central. I also think he benefited from being central with a strike partner in Diaz. 

His lack of technical quality does mean that he can struggle even when played centrally if he's on his own. He needs other players close to him. The formation yesterday needs to be persisted with. Gally and Diaz up top and personally I can even see Dack slotting in there too as part of a 2 with the instructions to stick close to his strike partner. Not that we'll ever see that mind since he's seemingly being frozen out. 

1 hour ago, ben_the_beast said:

It was good to see what Gallagher can do when played central. I also think he benefited from being central with a strike partner in Diaz. 

His lack of technical quality does mean that he can struggle even when played centrally if he's on his own. He needs other players close to him. The formation yesterday needs to be persisted with. Gally and Diaz up top and personally I can even see Dack slotting in there too as part of a 2 with the instructions to stick close to his strike partner. Not that we'll ever see that mind since he's seemingly being frozen out. 

All strikers need service tailored to their abilities. You wouldn’t have expected Graham to be first to lots balls played into the channels but you could play balls up to his feet and know he wouldn’t lose the ball.  With Gallagher his first touch isn’t great so you really need balls played in front of him so a shot is really his first touch. Balls coming in from the wings or threaded up from midfield.

I saw the Dingles goals yesterday and they get a lot of balls coming in from the wings with plenty of pace on them. Hard to defend against. You could see why Kompany signed half a dozen wingers.

• Like 1

I know Gallagher isn’t prolific but if he had a run of games down the middle he would score goals. I thought 5 million was a lot at the time but I still believed he would be a good signing. I can’t believe how badly mismanaged his whole career has been since his original loan spell. Regardless of the fee now and I’ve no idea when his contract is up, he is still the best option we have up top and should be played there .

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

All strikers need service tailored to their abilities. You wouldn’t have expected Graham to be first to lots balls played into the channels but you could play balls up to his feet and know he wouldn’t lose the ball.  With Gallagher his first touch isn’t great so you really need balls played in front of him so a shot is really his first touch. Balls coming in from the wings or threaded up from midfield.

I saw the Dingles goals yesterday and they get a lot of balls coming in from the wings with plenty of pace on them. Hard to defend against. You could see why Kompany signed half a dozen wingers.

Banging crosses into the box has always been hard to defend against and always will be. I can't for the life of me understand why you would want to eschew the use of wide players.

There's a reason 442 was the standard for so long. It'll come back round again. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Upside Down said:

Banging crosses into the box has always been hard to defend against and always will be. I can't for the life of me understand why you would want to eschew the use of wide players.

There's a reason 442 was the standard for so long. It'll come back round again. 

I think it is more of a case that two central midfielders does not work, because they get over-run. I woud like to see 3-3-2 down the center, with two wing-backs.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, arbitro said:

He has his detractors but I've just read that we have won 10 out of the 11 games he has started this season.

Hopefully he is fit for next Sunday then. 😂😂

With that record even if he's not fit,start him and take him off 5 mins in 😀

• 4 months later...

Think this is worth a bump.

I've been super critical of Sam through the bulk of this season, all the physical attributes were there but very little quality or instinct was displayed. However, since his couple of goals at QPR the lad has been very good and turned things around brilliantly. Suddenly he is winning the bulk of headers, giving us a genuine out option instead of always playing it around at the back. I've noticed JRC and Pickering really utilising this and that must stem from the extra confidence that they have in Sam right now. He's making himself a handful, freeing up space for others and that coupled with his workrate (which has always been there) means we have a very good striker for this division. He's linking up well with those around him and for me deserves a starting spot ahead of the likes of BBD and Dacky while he plays like this.

Fairplay for the turnaround Sam!

Edited by Feed the Yak

Happy to echo the praise for Gally over the recent weeks, but we shouldn't forget that lots of his very forgettable performances this year have come as a centre forward. 

He has real strengths which he has showcased well over the last few games, but he also has two or three serious flaws which hamper him as a centre forward as much as they did when he was playing further wide. 

It has been good to see him be more of a handful for defenders though. If he can keep that up and chip in with another 5 goals before the end of the season, he'll have contributed very well.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

It helps he's not being played as a winger. 

This is the first little run he's had playing week-in week-out as a striker. Good player, works hard, winning lots of headers (despite people talking shite about him being shit in the air), turning into a decent target man. 

He has been “ shit in the air “ . It’s only recently he’s been winning flick ons. They don’t really go anywhere but that’s not his fault. At least the guys marking him have to turn and chase back after the ball. Better than nothing. Maybe JDT has been on his case.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He has been “ shit in the air “ . It’s only recently he’s been winning flick ons. They don’t really go anywhere but that’s not his fault. At least the guys marking him have to turn and chase back after the ball. Better than nothing. Maybe JDT has been on his case.

He hasn't. He was good in the air under Coyle and now that he's been restored to his favoured position he's back to being good in the air. 

Unfortunately he was Mowbrayed for a few years out on the wing.