BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sam Gallagher Returns

Both him & BB are duds ... Just goes to show that even though TM had a good look at him a few years back he still went back and paid millions for him ... Shocking player .. Not even Birmingham would have him back ... 

• Like 4

Now whilst he is a prime dolloper it has to be said that even so TM doesn't have him playing anywhere near his limited best. He has put in the odd good performance but all of these have come centrally. So put him central. TM is delivering a master class on how to make a bad situation worse. I still maintain that with the right management Gally might hit the heights of a useful player but it would take a far greater manager than TM to do that. I'd get rid of Gally in a second but I don't think we will, no one will be interested based on his performances or wages so we have to find a way to make the most of a bad situation. That way is not arsing about on the right wing. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

I still maintain that with the right management Gally might hit the heights of a useful player 

He's 6ft 2 and shit in the air, his first touch is poor, takes ages to get to top speed by which time he's lost any advantage,  he has no trick to get past a player in tight spaces, easy to defend against and he's more bothered about how his hair looks.

He's lazy too.

22 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

He's 6ft 2 and shit in the air, his first touch is poor, takes ages to get to top speed by which time he's lost any advantage,  he has no trick to get past a player in tight spaces, easy to defend against and he's more bothered about how his hair looks.

He's lazy too.

The last two are what does my nut in most. That said he is big and bulky so has the physical attributes to be a problem for defenders and has a few goals for us too so there is a spark of potential. a quality manager might make him into a useful squad player. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

He's lazy too.

I remember when we were debating wether he was worth signing again somebody on here trying to tell me what a good header of the ball Gallagher was. Maybe he meant Kevin Gallagher. David Speedie was a foot shorter than either of the two young giants we have up front and he was a better header of the ball than both of them.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, rovers11 said:

Given that he's had a lot of stick this season, it's nice to say that he was excellent when he came on today. Pace, power and end product. Set up our goal and also set up the one on one for Davenport. 

All debates about the merits of playing him wide aside, he clearly has the pace and power to make life difficult for full-backs. Good on him for making the difference today, next season we'll have to expect him to deliver a bit more frequently. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

All debates about the merits of playing him wide aside, he clearly has the pace and power to make life difficult for full-backs. Good on him for making the difference today, next season we'll have to expect him to deliver a bit more frequently. 

He isnt rapid and he doesnt have the subtlety or the technical ability to play wide. He was much improved today but even his assist was scuffed a little bit although it was excellent work especially in the build up. He ran down the wing soon after and played a really poor cross, the role doesnt suit him at all. The touch for Davenport was also very clever after a superb Holtby pass and he definitely made a different in his cameo but a full back wouldnt be too worried facing up to him as weve seen on many an occasion.

• Like 1

Very much a confidence player. Can tell how well he’s going to play after his first couple of touches.

Scary for their defence today with a huge athletic forward coming fresh off the bench and he seemed well up for it.

Did well. More please! 

• Like 1

Impact sub like today, battering ram up top later in games we are chasing or just to close down and defend from the front. There are many uses for him but starting as a wide right striker/winger carthorse NOOOOOO

Would be interesting to give him a run of games playing up front with Armstrong I'm a two. Might suit him better.

---------------------Walton

Nyambe----Lebihan----Tosin----JRC

------------Travis-----Davenport

--Rothwell-----------------------Downing

---------Gallagher------Armstrong

12 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Would be interesting to give him a run of games playing up front with Armstrong I'm a two. Might suit him better.

---------------------Walton

Nyambe----Lebihan----Tosin----JRC

------------Travis-----Davenport

--Rothwell-----------------------Downing

---------Gallagher------Armstrong

That's how the Dingles play. It seems to work for them.  What do we do in training ? You'd think they odd full scale practice game would find out if it works or not. Having said that given the number of games we are having to play means we can't play those games at the moment.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That's how the Dingles play. It seems to work for them. 

Now imagine that team with the right ethics drilled into them over time and the right back up players to cover.

That's what is missing here Mowbray reminds me so much of the bread and butter version of Hodgson.  Constantly trying to make simple things unsimple allegedly to fox the opposition.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

I am very keen on getting a consistent way of playing that doesnt involve silly and non working gimmicks such as false 9's and inside forwards.

That being said, I wouldnt go down the 442 route. We need to build around a number 10, be it Dack ideally or Holtby, you need to build around your better players, or in Dacks case, best player.

Seeing as Mowbray doesn't like "flighty" wingers and loves number 10s, how about more of a 4222 formation? Seems like we went that way when we made the 4 subs yesterday.

Probably get the best of what ever limited player is in Gallagher that way too, as let's be honest he's going to play more often than not.

Problem is we would need two bloody good full backs to get that system to work.

• Like 1

On 11/07/2020 at 22:16, S8 & Blue said:

Very much a confidence player. Can tell how well he’s going to play after his first couple of touches.

Scary for their defence today with a huge athletic forward coming fresh off the bench and he seemed well up for it.

Did well. More please! 

Haha..Well, I can tell how he's going to play before kick-off!

• Like 1

Been here before, nice lad, fits in with the group, right agent... we'll find a position for him.

On the other side of the coin had we got him the summer before we probably wouldn't have signed Brereton so the next 5 million might have gone on the defense.....

Then again ?

• Like 1

I think I would get rid at any price really but there may not be any takers unless it's on loan? Maybe for a low fee £1-2 mill someone might take a punt but it'll not be easy to shift him. 

A Big Sam type manager probably could get a tune out of him, so a sale isn't out of the question, but his wages are perhaps another barrier. That said either here or elsewhere a Big Sam type manager could make his useful if not proficient and an asset not a liability. Frustratingly TM seems to be doing the opposite playing him away from a role he could perhaps do. .

Mind you I think there are a number of players who'd do well under a Big Sam type manager. I could see Bothwell's runs drawing fouls in dangerous areas. Downing or even Mulgrew whipping in dangerous balls to the box. I reckon a number of players would be more efficient under Big Sam. 

• 1 year later...

I think he’s shown some improvement this season thankfully.

I would say this is more opportunities in the centre but he scored with his first touch playing right (after switching second half on Saturday).

The more he scores and sets up, the more confident he will get. Also second in assists only to Rothwell this season so good signs for me.

Still has some issues with passing but his work rate has improved tremendously. Keep it up Gally.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JBiz said:

I think he’s shown some improvement this season thankfully.

I would say this is more opportunities in the centre but he scored with his first touch playing right (after switching second half on Saturday).

The more he scores and sets up, the more confident he will get. Also second in assists only to Rothwell this season so good signs for me.

Still has some issues with passing but his work rate has improved tremendously. Keep it up Gally.

You're easily pleased. If anyone offered money back for him or maybe even around two thirds I'd snap their arm off at the elbow.