BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sam Gallagher Returns

I wasn't doing cartwheels when we signed Gallagher. Although he scored his share of goals in a poor team last time he was here I thought he was a bit lightweight for a guy his size.

Also he'd done nothing since that time so I thought we weren't getting what we needed ie Danny Graham MK 2. In recent games the lad has put his self about and done his level best to make an impression up front for us. I put a lot of store in guys who look like they actually want to wear the shirt, recently we've had too many who were just going through the motions. 

• Like 5

Gallagher, who I have never been overly impressed by, has looked a bit quicker and sharper in recent games. More like the player here on loan a couple of years ago. I'd still be starting Graham if possible but at least Gallagher is starting to look like a viable replacement.

As for Brereton, I still don't see the potential there. If I was Dominic Samuel, with something like 6 goals in 4 appearances for the under 23's, I'd be a bit miffed I wasn't getting on the bench in his place. Chapman is told to do it for the under 23's before he gets a chance, yet Brereton is given chance after chance.People say his fee shouldn't come in to it, but his fee is the only reason he is getting picked.

• Like 5

Just now, Hasta said:

Gallagher, who I have never been overly impressed by, has looked a bit quicker and sharper in recent games. More like the player here on loan a couple of years ago.

Probably because he has had 4/5 months of regular football against men.

Have to remember that he hardly played any real football for the whole of last season.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Hasta said:

Gallagher, who I have never been overly impressed by, has looked a bit quicker and sharper in recent games. More like the player here on loan a couple of years ago. I'd still be starting Graham if possible but at least Gallagher is starting to look like a viable replacement.

As for Brereton, I still don't see the potential there. If I was Dominic Samuel, with something like 6 goals in 4 appearances for the under 23's, I'd be a bit miffed I wasn't getting on the bench in his place. Chapman is told to do it for the under 23's before he gets a chance, yet Brereton is given chance after chance.People say his fee shouldn't come in to it, but his fee is the only reason he is getting picked.

Well, we don't see him in training, so we can't say that is the only reason. Although I do take the point fro what we do see, it does look a bit odd. 

Think Gallagher has had some harsh critisnbsince coming back, hung out to dry on the wing on many occasions, too many games where all he's received are floated balls up to him where all he can do is jump with the man. First real occasion I saw proper crosses from the byline into him was Preston away and he smashed that header. Feed him these types balls and he will score us goals. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Neal said:

Think Gallagher has had some harsh critisnbsince coming back, hung out to dry on the wing on many occasions, too many games where all he's received are floated balls up to him where all he can do is jump with the man. First real occasion I saw proper crosses from the byline into him was Preston away and he smashed that header. Feed him these types balls and he will score us goals. 

Yes a striker needs service, ideally from the flanks. You have to be International class to make something out of a throat ball from the half way line.

• Like 2

I think Gally is coming on slowly but surely, good shot well saved at the weekend, wish it had gone in.  The lad almost always puts in a shift, wish Armstrong worked as hard.  If Gally can keep up the steady improvement and add a few.more.goals he'll be fine for me.

• Like 1

I can see us playing 2 ways going forward. The tried and tested 4231 against teams that sit deep against us. Dack to try and pick holes in compact defences. 

Then away from home a compact 442 like we played against Bristol. Replace brereton with Armstrong. Him and gally to work their socks off up front and the 4 in midfield to be narrow and compact. Perfect for a counter attack. 

In Gallagher i trust him to lead the line. The goals haven't come yet but he offers enough in his all round game to merit his place. I think in time he will show himself to be a quality addition with a 10 to 20 mil resale value 

Gallaghers got enormous potential, he's a big lad, quick, decent feet, good first touch can score with his head and feet- I think he'll go from strength to strength and eventually land in the Premiership- unlike someone like Rhodes, SG has all the attributes to go right to the top, you don't get many lads of his size with pace he has.

To contrast, Brereton, seems slow, poor infront of goal, poor first touch and worst of all lacks any work ethic- his body lanuage on the pitch is appalling- they're like chalk and cheese.

I agree that Samuel and/or Chapman should be given an opportunity on the bench for the Rovers.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lie_still_Rover said:

Gallaghers got enormous potential, he's a big lad, quick, decent feet, good first touch can score with his head and feet- I think he'll go from strength to strength and eventually land in the Premiership- unlike someone like Rhodes, SG has all the attributes to go right to the top, you don't get many lads of his size with pace he has.

To contrast, Brereton, seems slow, poor infront of goal, poor first touch and worst of all lacks any work ethic- his body lanuage on the pitch is appalling- they're like chalk and cheese.

I agree that Samuel and/or Chapman should be given an opportunity on the bench for the Rovers.

Have you been Sam's agent for long ? I don't think he has a good first touch and for a very tall player he's not the greatest header of the ball I've ever seen. 

• Like 2

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Have you been Sam's agent for long ? I don't think he has a good first touch and for a very tall player he's not the greatest header of the ball I've ever seen. 

Hahaha, I'm a big fan! I can see him going on to be a bit of Madzukic type or a fast Harry Kane ;) I think he'll be worth a few bob by the end of the season.

Edited by Lie_still_Rover

1 hour ago, Lie_still_Rover said:

Hahaha, I'm a big fan! I can see him going on to be a bit of Madzukic type or a fast Harry Kane ;) I think he'll be worth a few bob by the end of the season.

I hope you're right. I can forgive lots of things if they have the right attitude. To be honest lots of good strikers don't have a particularly good first touch. Didn't Shearer once say he couldn't trap a bag of wet cement ? The thing is lots of times his first touch was usually a bullet like shot on goal !

A pal of mine was working behind the scenes at Old Trafford when they signed Ted McDougall ( Google him ) who was a prolific goalscorer back in the day. My mate had watched him in training and he was amazed at his lack of ball skills. But get the ball into the box and he'd do the business alright.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

• 2 months later...
  • Backroom

Danny Graham has called Rich Sharpe out on his Instagram for his latest article on Gallagher... to quote:

Verified

4 points from the playoffs with 11 games to go and I’m reading this negativity about a teammate who gives nothing but 110% every single time he’s out there ...how can @rich.sharpe write this rubbish this negativity at this stage of season .. anyway we sick together @sam9allagher we all behind u brother .... bring on sat

7 minutes ago, Madon said:

Danny Graham has called Rich Sharpe out on his Instagram for his latest article on Gallagher... to quote:

Verified

4 points from the playoffs with 11 games to go and I’m reading this negativity about a teammate who gives nothing but 110% every single time he’s out there ...how can @rich.sharpe write this rubbish this negativity at this stage of season .. anyway we sick together @sam9allagher we all behind u brother .... bring on sat

No wonder his legs have gone

• Like 1

He could give 200%. It doesn't mean he's any good. 

31 appearances, 3 goals

Still have no idea why we signed him. Aside from a purple patch under Coyle, he's been crap here, and he was crap on-loan at Birmingham as well. 

Maybe we need to bring back the donuts?

• Like 4

It was a decent piece by Sharpe to be fair it's exactly what most fans ask week in week out. Manager worshippers or not and likes of me who actually likes Gallagher but wouldn't have signed him at this juncture without a specific role in mind that fits his abilities.

Nice lad though willing to do a multitude of tasks so this present regime will pay big bucks for it. Nice to see the players sticking together but shows what 'nice' lads bring... think skin and fragile egos it's no wonder so many of them are so inconsistent.

As with a few others you really have to look to the manager with this one though, player never gives less than 100% but seems he's just been recruited as a water carrier. I'm sure there are plenty out there who'd charge up and down for a lot less than 5 million.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 3

• Backroom

Sharpe's article is more a criticism of the manager than SG. To try and paint it as a single-minded attack on Gallagher is little more than deflection and misdirection. I'm not sure Graham even read the article - if he did he either failed to understand the underlying theme or deliberately tried to alter the primary message which reflects worse on him than it does on Rich Sharpe imo. 

• Like 1

I think the article is fair enough I don't think anyone could label Sharpe critical or negative. I think he should be more critical at times. 

Gallagher had a stinker of a first half last night,awful. He was better second half, but he's just not a winger. If we do persist with playing him there, then we need to hit some diagonals to him and he needs to win the headers. Otherwise he is just a lanky striker on the wing. If he can't dominate centre halves ,fair enough,not ideal but they are generally big tough lads, but if he can't win headers against full backs at six four,something is very wrong 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Literally nothing wrong with that article, Graham is being soft. I’ve told him as much as well.

Agreed. One thing I will say though is much of this isn't Gallagher's fault. It's pretty much with the management on this one as Sharpe pointed out - him being asked to play RW every week must be as ludicrous to him as it is to us.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 2

• Backroom

Pathetic from Graham, they are getting paid silly money and whilst I never condone any sort of personal attack or abuse they are fair game for constructive criticism

• Backroom
13 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

If we do persist with playing him there, then we need to hit some diagonals to him and he needs to win the headers.

In fairness to SG he often does, the problem is it never leads to anything because we aren't set up to take advantage of that. It's like the old meme...

Hit diagonals to Gallagher
Gallagher wins header
????
GOAL

If we're going to persist with this stupidity then at least fill in the question marks so that it means something when he wins a header. rather than it leading to nothing more than the opposition collecting the ball.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think the article is fair enough I don't think anyone could label Sharpe critical or negative. I think he should be more critical at times. 

Gallagher had a stinker of a first half last night,awful. He was better second half, but he's just not a winger. If we do persist with playing him there, then we need to hit some diagonals to him and he needs to win the headers. Otherwise he is just a lanky striker on the wing. If he can't dominate centre halves ,fair enough,not ideal but they are generally big tough lads, but if he can't win headers against full backs at six four,something is very wrong 

The exact tactic employed at the start of the season, and it didn't work. We faffed about with the ball between the back 4, before Del went diagonal to Gallagher.....issue was, it kept bouncing off him to either an opponent or into no man's land where we were slow to pick up the second ball.

If we were going to employ that tactic again, I'd rather Samuel play there. He's shown more ability at controlling and holding up the ball in 2 games than Gallagher has all season.

• Like 1