BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers in Netflix football series

47 minutes ago, old darwen blue said:

Lol, no we are all blue and white now. Ewood Park is technically in Lower Darren anyway as it’s on the south side of Ewood bridge. 

So which council did Ewood operate under before the pointless unification then? Blackburn. Nothing technical about anything.

Should point out that it's 6 parts. Perhaps only one will heavily feature Blackburn Rovers or it could be split over all the leading clubs at that time. 

Hooliganism in the 80's...1880's. Rovers have never had much of a reputation as a hooligan stronghold though there's been other incidents before the 1970's/80's as well. For example...

On 27.11.1926, during a Division 1 fixture, Blackburn Rovers v Manchester United saw ugly scenes of crowd trouble immediately after the final whistle was blown. Rovers player, 'our' Sid Puddefoot was seen by many Rovers fans to be lying on the ground after the final whistle. The Rovers fans believed he had been hit by a United player and began a pitch invasion. This led to a dangerous situation in which the Manchester United players were surrounded by hundreds of angry Rovers fans. The police intervened for the safety of the players and managed to clear a path to the player’s tunnel. However, hundreds of Rovers fans remained on the pitch and many efforts were made to attack the United players. Once inside their changing room, the United players locked the door in fear. Soon after, the police managed to disperse the crowd. Rovers won the game 2-1.

In 21 years of going to football matches (though maybe not so much in the last few) I haven't actually witnessed any violence. Other than on the field. ?

Edited by Vinjay17

• Backroom
18 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Olympic the first Club to bring the FA Cup back to Blackburn not the Rovers....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackburn_Olympic_F.C.

No other Town in the UK can boast of two different FA Cup winning clubs I believe..would be great for them to get a mention in this film.

Also the shortest distance travelled by the FA Cup between consecutive winners, isn't it? Hole I'th Wall to Leamington Rd.

Edited by Mike E
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, HowieFive0 said:

A theatre play has been written  about their exploits Bruce  and I think it went on the road too ...The Giant Killers

https://blackburnlife.com/whats-on/570586_the-giant-killers-come-home-this-october-at-darwen-library-theatre/

Ah yes I remember hearing about that now you mention it. I think film or book is a better medium for it personally, due to the visual nature of footy. Not that you can't describe games on stage, of course. Just think it's better suited to the other mediums.

1 hour ago, old darwen blue said:

Lol, no we are all blue and white now. Ewood Park is technically in Lower Darren anyway as it’s on the south side of Ewood bridge. 

Until I become a multi-billionaire, buy Darwen and take them to the promised land ?

Just now, bluebruce said:

Ah yes I remember hearing about that now you mention it. I think film or book is a better medium for it personally, due to the visual nature of footy. Not that you can't describe games on stage, of course. Just think it's better suited to the other mediums.

Until I become a multi-billionaire, buy Darwen and take them to the promised land ?

Town or club?

Just now, Vinjay17 said:

It was a joke about how much the town of Darwen is worth. Maybe not obvious?

No worries then, I wasn't sure. No offence, but with you it can be hard to tell if you're joking, as a lot of your posts are caustic. All good!

• Like 1

There’s a great book by Keith Dewhurst titled Underdogs. Darwen FC are the central figures and their early FA Cup exploits but the book also tells how football developed from games in the Darwen and Penistone (nr Barnsley) districts. They used to have ‘goals’ down at the Boundary, probably just two trees. The other goals were up at Bull Hill and there were around 50 a side with games lasting all day. The forerunner of the modern game.

Before the Football League was formed, Darwen and Turton were two of our areas biggest teams. Rovers and Bolton hadn’t really got going. There was an account of 500 Darwen fans travelling to Turton by train. One of the first football specials lol.

Great reading, especially if you’re from Darwen as there are many references to the town and its mill owners and other buildings etc. I’ve lent the book to someone and never got it back. Trouble is, I can’t remember who. 

It’s still available on Amazon.

• Like 1

Just now, Claytons Left Boot said:

Listen Vinjay, Blackburn is actually known as Darwen North. All Darreners are aware of this lol.

Darwen is a row of terraced houses between Blackburn and Bolton, let’s have it right.

• Like 2

Just now, Claytons Left Boot said:

The Tower is as yet an unused nuclear missile. Any more of that and we’ll press the red button.

How would anyone in Blackburn be able to tell even if you did?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

I’ve always thought the club doesn’t make enough of its fantastic heritage.

And anything that shows old Lancashire as THE heartland of the game and not the ridiculous notion that it is the north east with its 3 League clubs is fine with me.

You mean the 'Hotbed of Soccer™' as they'd have you believe?!????#Shakesheadsadly

• 7 months later...

Looks really good. Can’t wait. A lot of it was also filmed around Lancashire. Whilst on the subject Sunderland’s new series is aptly out April fools day where they lose two finals. Should be a good watch . Also Tottenham have one out near Xmas with the sacking of poch mourinho appointment and dier crowd surfing. Should be fun

Edited by Oldgregg86

Looks really good. As mentioned in the last page, the club have got to get all over this. They should've been interacting with Netflix on Facebook/Twitter about the series from the minute the trailer dropped. They could do all sorts with this if they are pro-active enough.