BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers in Netflix football series

Just finished binge-watching this, enjoyed it I have to say, best not to get hung up on the factual inaccuracies & watch it as if it’s a football Chariots of Fire I would suggest.

Old Fergie seems to have been quite a guy if even only half of the story is true.

A very enjoyable series. The factual inaccuracies are there to sharpen the Interpersonal and inner conflicts which drive all drama. Each character is conflicted by some element of the football story presented: Toffs vs factory lads; amateurs vs pros (between and within teams); Blackburn vs Darwen. The football story was changed (and had to be imo) to sharpen those conflicts.

Olympic was the first working class team to win the cup but had no pros. Rovers had pros and dominated the game but were stacked with public schoolboys. It would’ve been far too confusing, and detrimental to the drama, to stick to reality.

• Like 6

There is a discussion on one of the Darwen Facebook sites where a guy commented that he was one of the mill workers in the programme  and was ‘on set’ for a month. I asked him where both the moorland and town scenes were filmed as I knew they weren’t Darwen. The town was actually Saltaire, near Shipley and the moorland was nearby in Yorkshire.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

There is a discussion on one of the Darwen Facebook sites where a guy commented that he was one of the mill workers in the programme  and was ‘on set’ for a month. I asked him where both the moorland and town scenes were filmed as I knew they weren’t Darwen. The town was actually Saltaire, near Shipley and the moorland was nearby in Yorkshire.

I thought the stonework looked West Yorkshire pennine towns

3 hours ago, Mike E said:

Even the moors would've been tricky, pre-Darwen Tower.

There’s some great moorland up behind that massive house at the top of Bury Fold Lane. Can’t remember its name. Between there and Cadshaw Valley and Hanging Stones. Most Darreners won’t have heard of it, let alone walked there because it’s way beyond the tower. Beautiful countryside but I guess it’s rather isolated and would have been problematic getting the camera gear etc up there. A shame.

• Like 1

On 25/03/2020 at 20:56, Claytons Left Boot said:

52 minutes ago, Proudtobeblue&white said:

Saltaire.

??

Well just finished watching it and really enjoyed it. I don’t think we’ll ever see anything again based around the emergence of the professional game, certainly not focussing on Darwen and Blackburn. 
Even though some of the facts might not have been too precise, the overall story was and this was the only time I’ve ever come close to really understanding what those times might have actually been like. 
some of the posts on this thread have also brought some reality to those days, so thanks to those that helped there. It’s the nearest I’ve been to feeling any kind of reality to our history, even though it was just a TV production.

I also took the time to refresh my memories of Lord Kineard, Old Etonians ( who still play in the Arthurian league), the Wanderers and the Engineers.

I would recommend anyone who’s interested in the evolution from the amateur game to the professional game, or is simply interested in the early days of football to watch it. 

why did they never call us Blackburn “ROVERS”? That baffles me.

Edited by den
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, den said:

Well just finished watching it and really enjoyed it. I don’t think we’ll ever see anything again based around the emergence of the professional game, certainly not focussing on Darwen and Blackburn. 
Even though some of the facts might not have been too precise, the overall story was and this was the only time I’ve ever come close to really understanding what those times might have actually been like. 
some of the posts on this thread have also brought some reality to those days, so thanks to those that helped there. It’s the nearest I’ve been to feeling any kind of reality to our history, even though it was just a TV production.

I would recommend anyone who’s interested in the evolution from the amateur game to the professional game, or is simply interested in the early days of football to watch it. 

why did they never call us Blackburn “ROVERS”? That baffles me.

Because it’s an amalgamation of Rovers and Olympic. Olympic were in the final against Old Etonians but Suter played for Rovers.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Because it’s an amalgamation of Rovers and Olympic. Olympic were in the final against Old Etonians but Suter played for Rovers.

Right, gotcha. Thanks. So Suter didn’t even play in that final versus old etonians - amazing. However the history of those days was basically correct and still fascinating. Love it.