BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers in Netflix football series

On 18/03/2020 at 08:06, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

"As is the dramatist's prerogative, Julian Fellowes has taken some artistic licence. The 1883 FA Cup Final was contested between Old Etonians and Blackburn Olympic. But Suter never played for Blackburn Olympic."

"He actually played for local rivals Blackburn Rovers, who went on to lift the cup for the subsequent three years. For the purposes of the TV show, the two teams have been merged to make one club simply called Blackburn."

So it's a Historical period Drama that's Historically incorrect and the ultimate insult, they have 'Blackburn' playing in ferking shyte Claret and Blue?...what a piss take!!<_<

How disappointing, neither Rovers or Olympic mentioned possibly to avoid 'Waggott tax' film royalties?.As mentioned,our club should have been all over this.

and of course filmed some of it in Burnley too ?

I binged watched this on the day it was released.  Really enjoyed it as the light drama it was. Fell asleep during the middle parts with the rioting.  Wish it had been a bit more factually correct and the football scenes were appalling.  I think Escape to Victory had better action.

I think it is getting unfair reviews in most media.  It passed the time quickly enough.

Also, appreciating the posts on here which have filled in some of the back story.

5 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Not sure where you got that from. I spoke to a guy who was on the film set as a mill worker and he said it was filmed in Saltaire. No mention of Burnley.

They definitely filmed in the borough at least. Their base was our car park for a few days when they were at and around Queen Street Mill.

20190415_092616.jpg

10 hours ago, CD_93 said:

They definitely filmed in the borough at least. Their base was our car park for a few days when they were at and around Queen Street Mill.

20190415_092616.jpg

Presumably then, they must have used some inside shots from the Textile Museum. The guy I spoke to mentioned a mill in Shipley for the bulk of the mill shots.

On 31/03/2020 at 16:17, Claytons Left Boot said:

Not sure where you got that from. I spoke to a guy who was on the film set as a mill worker and he said it was filmed in Saltaire. No mention of Burnley.

Much of it was however they filmed at Queen Street Mill in Burnley as well.

On 31/03/2020 at 15:27, K-Hod said:

Absolutely. It was set over 100 years ago and they wanted it to look authentic ?.

?

Edited by longsiders1882

On 19/07/2019 at 19:19, bluebruce said:

This is fantastic! Really stoked for this! I wonder if the footballer they're following is Fergus Suter, the first professional, given the mention of moving towns and a focus on Darwen FC too. Unofficially he was probably the first professional when he was at Darwen, though it was illegal at the time and he claimed to be a stonemason. He then moved to Rovers and officially became the first professional when it was allowed.

I've always been fascinated by the early history of both clubs. As a would-be writer, I've considered whether there was a good story to be told about Darwen's early history, particularly the incredible comeback against Old Etonians in the FA Cup (semi final I think it was) where they came from 5-0 down to draw 5-5 and earn a replay. If I remember rightly they didn't score til about 15 minutes from time! Has to be the greatest comeback ever, against the team who were the top dogs at the time. Back then the replays had to take place at the same ground, so Darwen had to travel down to London for it. At the time that cost a hell of a lot for a football club, and it nearly bankrupted them. Locals gathered funds for them, only for them to draw the replay and have to do it again! No extra time or penalties back then. Think the replay was 0-0.

Another whip round was done, they went down and got pasted this time. Excuse my memory if it errs, but I believe it was a big factor in replays taking place at the other ground. Not sure when extra time etc came in.

Lot of football's early history at Darwen, it was a shame they got wound up over such a small bill (a few grand I think it was?) and weren't saved by Rovers or local fundraising. Rovers have helped save other clubs in the region before, like Accy. In the AFC format it's basically the same, but technically that history isn't theirs now.

That was a good shout! 

After watching this I read the 442 article on our contribution to football. We forget how influential we are has a shit hole place made up of 140000 people including darwen ( Blackburn south).

we changed the game of football. Teams whose colours followed ours

dynamo zegrab

grasshoper Zurich 

athletico Madrid and Bilbao 

Our history which didn’t fall away ( the seventh most successful team decade on decade) stands up with the best.

Our role call of success for our size is endless. 

6 fa cups. 7 if you count olympic

22 fa cup semi finals

3 championships including the premiership

One of 3 founders of the football league and premiership 

Im not sure there is a small town that could match us. I include success, support and identity.

COYB 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Boroblue said:

After watching this I read the 442 article on our contribution to football. We forget how influential we are has a shit hole place made up of 140000 people including darwen ( Blackburn south).

we changed the game of football. Teams whose colours followed ours

dynamo zegrab

grasshoper Zurich 

athletico Madrid and Bilbao 

Our history which didn’t fall away ( the seventh most successful team decade on decade) stands up with the best.

Our role call of success for our size is endless. 

6 fa cups. 7 if you count olympic

22 fa cup semi finals

3 championships including the premiership

One of 3 founders of the football league and premiership 

Im not sure there is a small town that could match us. I include success, support and identity.

COYB 

Blackburn south?

Wash your mouth out boroblue ??

There are plenty of fully paid-up members of Darwen Blues on here and without Darwen FC alongside their noisy neighbours of the time things might have been very different for BRFC.

B462EB69-806D-4044-87A9-E17DFC1217C7.jpeg

• Like 2

The town of Darwen is absolutely pivotal for the club. As Blackburn continues to change demographically and more and more Rovers supporting Blackburners move further afield, Darwen is a bedrock of support in the borough.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Blackburn south?

Wash your mouth out boroblue ??

There are plenty of fully paid-up members of Darwen Blues on here and without Darwen FC alongside their noisy neighbours of the time things might have been very different for BRFC.

B462EB69-806D-4044-87A9-E17DFC1217C7.jpeg

I was just teasing for a reaction. I remember the old bikers the Darwen jesters.

Darwen are Rovers that is a full stop no discussion.

• Like 1

Watched it all now and it was good really enjoyed it although the inaccuracies do grate a bit. I've already had people ask why there's no 'Rovers', did they add that years later !!!!!!

Most non Rovers fans watching in wouldn't bat an eyelid though and the fact it should stick in the craw of plenty big club fans that footballs real origins are in Blackburn and Darwen is very nice.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Just watched it all , really enjoyed it ..ok it might not be 100% factually accurate but I really enjoyed it , and I think it's something that ANY football fan or Anybody who is fond of a period drama would enjoy to

• Like 1

X

On 19/07/2019 at 20:09, Claytons Left Boot said:

There’s a great book by Keith Dewhurst titled Underdogs. Darwen FC are the central figures and their early FA Cup exploits but the book also tells how football developed from games in the Darwen and Penistone (nr Barnsley) districts. They used to have ‘goals’ down at the Boundary, probably just two trees. The other goals were up at Bull Hill and there were around 50 a side with games lasting all day. The forerunner of the modern game.

Before the Football League was formed, Darwen and Turton were two of our areas biggest teams. Rovers and Bolton hadn’t really got going. There was an account of 500 Darwen fans travelling to Turton by train. One of the first football specials lol.

Great reading, especially if you’re from Darwen as there are many references to the town and its mill owners and other buildings etc. I’ve lent the book to someone and never got it back. Trouble is, I can’t remember who. 

It’s still available on Amazon.

That book in hard back is going for £1000 on their site.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Underdogs-Unlikely-Story-Footballs-Heroes/dp/0224083139

Edited by Tabula Rasa

Just started watching this.  One thing I will give this lockdown,  is that it's giving me chance to watch stuff that I otherwuse wouldn't get round to.

Only 2 episodes in but I'm really enjoying it. Ok it's not 100% factually correct, but it's not supposed to be. 

I do love the way they show the 'FA' in the 'jobs for the boys' way.  Nowt much has changed there!!

• Like 1