BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers in Netflix football series

On 08/04/2020 at 13:24, bluebruce said:

Yeh, my memory had a few factual errors though! Then again, so did the show...

You're not kidding!

I am late to the party with this one. I have only just watched it. I didn't expect it to be literal, but why they should deviate quite so far from the historical facts I don't know.

I had forgotten quite a lot of Rovers' history, but I knew we had been in the final against Old Etonians before Olympic actually won it. I was surprised to see that Old Etonians had hardly won it at all in real life.

Also, I am sure others will know that Suter never played for the first Blackburn team to win the FA Cup. Also, Rovers were never even questioned about the payment of players. I don't know about Olympic. Others were actually expelled from the competition. I think PNE were one such club. Bastards, even then lol

Making "Blackburn" play in claret rankled a little, but I suspect someone on the production team is having a laugh.

At least, they painted Monkey Hornby, as an all-round good egg!

3 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

You're not kidding!

I am late to the party with this one. I have only just watched it. I didn't expect it to be literal, but why they should deviate quite so far from the historical facts I don't know.

I had forgotten quite a lot of Rovers' history, but I knew we had been in the final against Old Etonians before Olympic actually won it. I was surprised to see that Old Etonians had hardly won it at all in real life.

Also, I am sure others will know that Suter never played for the first Blackburn team to win the FA Cup. Also, Rovers were never even questioned about the payment of players. I don't know about Olympic. Others were actually expelled from the competition. I think PNE were one such club. Bastards, even then lol

Making "Blackburn" play in claret rankled a little, but I suspect someone on the production team is having a laugh.

At least, they painted Monkey Hornby, as an all-round good egg!

I think most of those changes were for the story to follow the protagonist, Suter, experiencing the big moments, even the ones he didn't. Dramatic purposes, essentially. It would have meant less dramatically and thematically if he wasn't in the first working class team to win it. Even though he wasn't.

Plenty of films etc have taken plenty more liberties than this in fairness.

4 hours ago, DanielMB said:

As a dane who knows nothing about the geographical and historical ways of Lancashire is there any connection between Brockhall and Brockhall from the show?

It’s quite accurate. The land was previously owned by a women’s refuge.