BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers in Netflix football series

I’ve always thought the club doesn’t make enough of its fantastic heritage.

And anything that shows old Lancashire as THE heartland of the game and not the ridiculous notion that it is the north east with its 3 League clubs is fine with me.

• Like 7

This is fantastic! Really stoked for this! I wonder if the footballer they're following is Fergus Suter, the first professional, given the mention of moving towns and a focus on Darwen FC too. Unofficially he was probably the first professional when he was at Darwen, though it was illegal at the time and he claimed to be a stonemason. He then moved to Rovers and officially became the first professional when it was allowed.

I've always been fascinated by the early history of both clubs. As a would-be writer, I've considered whether there was a good story to be told about Darwen's early history, particularly the incredible comeback against Old Etonians in the FA Cup (semi final I think it was) where they came from 5-0 down to draw 5-5 and earn a replay. If I remember rightly they didn't score til about 15 minutes from time! Has to be the greatest comeback ever, against the team who were the top dogs at the time. Back then the replays had to take place at the same ground, so Darwen had to travel down to London for it. At the time that cost a hell of a lot for a football club, and it nearly bankrupted them. Locals gathered funds for them, only for them to draw the replay and have to do it again! No extra time or penalties back then. Think the replay was 0-0.

Another whip round was done, they went down and got pasted this time. Excuse my memory if it errs, but I believe it was a big factor in replays taking place at the other ground. Not sure when extra time etc came in.

Lot of football's early history at Darwen, it was a shame they got wound up over such a small bill (a few grand I think it was?) and weren't saved by Rovers or local fundraising. Rovers have helped save other clubs in the region before, like Accy. In the AFC format it's basically the same, but technically that history isn't theirs now.

• Like 9

Just now, oldjamfan1 said:

Most of the external filming taking place in Yaaaaarkshire and Bewton, wtf?

They'll be trying to create a more Victorian feel, so of course they'll be using those backwards shitholes ? 

Edited by bluebruce
Snap, AllRoverAsia!
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Tim Southampton Rover said:

You'd hope the club will be planning to be all over this trying to reap the rewards from the exposure of the club, especially if it is well made.

Hmmm ..the formation of Rovers and Darwen FC ..all about a working class team and lad  ..I can see Darwen Fc portrayed as the working class team and Rovers the villains ..after all its a drama and needs heroes and villains !

I really hope they don't , my relative was the Rovers goalkeeper in 1879 Arthur Woolfall ...relative also of Daniel Burley Woolfall who Im sure some will know as the only English FIFA  President also from Blackburn and the President before some geezer called Jules Rimet ..?

Heres a couple of extracts from a book called "From Cowpit To Cupholders "" involving Arthur Woolfall … mark the words "It was the start of a bitter feud with Darwen which was to burst into flames the following year "

I like the fact Arthur got lost on the Underground  meeting a relative on the day of the game ..probably half cut !

I think we may not come out of this in a very good light ..heres hoping ...

20190719_163624.jpg

20190719_162848.jpg

Edited by HowieFive0
  • Like 2

Weren't they both working class teams?

If it is about Suter, Rovers did pretty much 'poach' him so there's an element of conflict there. Darwen were meant to be paying him, which wasn't allowes yet. Rovers overtook Darwen, who were briefly reckoned a better side, and the area probably wasn't big enough for both clubs to flourish. Plenty of room for drama and some villains within both clubs without either club being villified entirely. He played for both so with him being the protagonist I don't expect either club to be slammed. If one is, it'll probably be Darwen, as the protagonist finished playing for Rovers.

We will see. Let's not get a persecution complex though, this is a good thing. Looking forward to it.

Just now, bluebruce said:

If it is about Suter, Rovers did pretty much 'poach' him so there's an element of conflict there. Darwen were meant to be paying him, which wasn't allowes yet. Rovers overtook Darwen, who were briefly reckoned a better side, and the area probably wasn't big enough for both clubs to flourish. Plenty of room for drama and some villains within both clubs without either club being villified entirely. He played for both so with him being the protagonist I don't expect either club to be slammed. If one is, it'll probably be Darwen, as the protagonist finished playing for Rovers.

We will see. Let's not get a persecution complex though, this is a good thing. Looking forward to it.

Olympic were ‘working class’

Rovers were founded by public schoolboys.

• Like 1

Just now, bluebruce said:

See above Bruce ..ive just edited my original post ..sorry.

3 hours ago, bluebruce said:

This is fantastic! Really stoked for this! I wonder if the footballer they're following is Fergus Suter, the first professional, given the mention of moving towns and a focus on Darwen FC too. Unofficially he was probably the first professional when he was at Darwen, though it was illegal at the time and he claimed to be a stonemason. He then moved to Rovers and officially became the first professional when it was allowed.

I've always been fascinated by the early history of both clubs. As a would-be writer, I've considered whether there was a good story to be told about Darwen's early history, particularly the incredible comeback against Old Etonians in the FA Cup (semi final I think it was) where they came from 5-0 down to draw 5-5 and earn a replay. If I remember rightly they didn't score til about 15 minutes from time! Has to be the greatest comeback ever, against the team who were the top dogs at the time. Back then the replays had to take place at the same ground, so Darwen had to travel down to London for it. At the time that cost a hell of a lot for a football club, and it nearly bankrupted them. Locals gathered funds for them, only for them to draw the replay and have to do it again! No extra time or penalties back then. Think the replay was 0-0.

Another whip round was done, they went down and got pasted this time. Excuse my memory if it errs, but I believe it was a big factor in replays taking place at the other ground. Not sure when extra time etc came in.

Lot of football's early history at Darwen, it was a shame they got wound up over such a small bill (a few grand I think it was?) and weren't saved by Rovers or local fundraising. Rovers have helped save other clubs in the region before, like Accy. In the AFC format it's basically the same, but technically that history isn't theirs now.

A theatre play has been written  about their exploits Bruce  and I think it went on the road too ...The Giant Killers

https://blackburnlife.com/whats-on/570586_the-giant-killers-come-home-this-october-at-darwen-library-theatre/

• Like 2