BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Charlton

Don't know if I'm stepping on the toe's of anyone wanting to do the match thread but I thought I'd do one to get the conversation started. 

Not long till kick off now, doesn't seem that long ago since the last season finished and the manager currently has us in a weaker position (defensively) than what we were in last season. We have a tough start to the season so for me this is already a must win game, considering our home form is what kept us from being in a relegation battle last season. 

As far as our starting 11 goes, it's hard to predict right now considering we could still sign 3 first team players. In an attacking sense the manager will have somewhat of a headache but I imagine Graham will start ahead of Gallagher and I think Dacky, Armstrong and Rothwell will still be nailed on starters, though I would like to see more of Chapman. I imagine Johnson and Trav will play holding midfield. 

Trying to guess our defence right now is almost impossible. Will he still play Bennett at right back? (please god no) Hopefully it will be Nyambe following some stand out performances in the African Cup of Nations. Lennihan is nailed on to start at centre half, along side who is anyone's guess. Left back is a position I felt strongly about improving and I'm sure many of us felt the same but obviously the manager doesn't agree (how? I have no idea), so it's looking like Bell will continue there. 

All this is based on the presumption we will play 4231 but strong rumours we might go back to the dreaded 5 a the back and false 9 experiment that brought about our worst results last season. It's a great formation if you have the personnel to pull it off but I don't think we do. When I've seen other sides who have played this formation they appear to fully commit to it and I think that's a must if you want the players to fully buy into the idea. I just don't see it working. I just hope the manager keeps it simple this season and plays players in their best positions instead square pegs in round holes and just to fit in his favourites, if he does this he will find the fans on his back pretty sharpish, me included. 

Charlton will be a tricky test, no games are easy in the championship, they've lost key players in Bielik and our main defensive target in Bauer to Preston and Joe Aribo to Rangers. With regards to incomings, they don't appear to have added any proven quality to their first 11 so currently it's looking like Bowyer is going to have a real job on his hands to keep them up because they're very much weaker than last seasons side who didn't exactly walk it into the Championship following a late promotion push. Also, their absolute bastard of an owner has neglected the club, openly admitting that he has no real interest in owning them (scumbag), so it doesn't appear likely that they're going to add anymore quality to their ranks either before our game. 

I know its the first game of the season but this has to be a must win, a draw and a cagey match is most likely but we need to go for it if we have any intentions of doing something this season. The manager can't have the same mentality as he had last season, he frequently referenced Sheff United who had a manager with a very positive and attacking mindset, he needs to adopt the same to push us on this season. 

Prediction 2 - 1 Rovers (Dack, Graham) and typically we will be hanging on for a win. 

• Like 5

• K-Hod pinned this topic

If there was a better chance to beat off our first game hoodoo of over the last 10 years, it is this. 

That said, promotion bounce, our poor defence (currently) the early stages of an apparent new/system and possibly formation could mean that this will not be as easy as it might look on paper. 

One thing is for sure, with the games coming up after it - we certainly need to bank these points.

• Like 1

Just now, Stuart said:

0-0

I think many people will be thinking this too and I can completely see why but... I'm not sure I can see Charlton keeping us out. I think we've got quality and options going forward and I'm not sure they have the quality to deal with it. On the flip side we always seemed to find a way to concede last season, hopefully with Raya gone that will not be the case quite as much in this next season, providing we bring in the right keeper. 

Just now, Neal said:

I think many people will be thinking this too and I can completely see why but... I'm not sure I can see Charlton keeping us out. I think we've got quality and options going forward and I'm not sure they have the quality to deal with it. On the flip side we always seemed to find a way to concede last season, hopefully with Raya gone that will not be the case quite as much in this next season, providing we bring in the right keeper. 

4-4

• Like 2

I have friends who are diehard CAFC. We look with competitive zeal to defeat each other’s team. As a club they are much like Rovers. I’m going for a 2-0 Rovers win. 

• Like 1

Have we helped our defending? No. 

Have we helped our scoring? Yes.

Theres gonna be some high-scoring affairs this season, we will score in bunches possibly, but the better defending teams will have their way with us. Schedule-maker was nice to us in giving us a winnable opener, so, 2-1.

Rovers 1    Charlton 2  

Shock, horror, derision and blame laying before we bounce back with a win in the next one. It's going to be one topsy turvy season i reckon.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, roverandout said:

0-1 with plenty of rovers fans saying we need to give him till Christmas

Is that some sort of advocation for sacking him if we do lose the first game? ;) 

• Backroom

If we line up with Leutwiler, Mulgrew, Bennett and Evans in the starting 11 Mowbray should be sacked before the game even kicks off.

That aside, I'll wait until I know who we've got in before predicting a scoreline. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Don’t pull a Mercer, Phil! We never thrash anyone. 

Rovers 5 Wolves 1 first day of a new season not that long ago.

Charlton coming up with big ownership issues having lost key players and on paper, so-so replacements. So big on motivation, enthusiasm and vulnerabilities.

MMP is right, I have equivocated. But simples, we will pay for it if we don't stick our foot on the Robbins' necks from the kick-off.

Just now, philipl said:

Rovers 5 Wolves 1 first day of a new season not that long ago.

Charlton coming up with big ownership issues having lost key players and on paper, so-so replacements. So big on motivation, enthusiasm and vulnerabilities.

MMP is right, I have equivocated. But simples, we will pay for it if we don't stick our foot on the Robbins' necks from the kick-off.

Might seem not that long ago but in truth, its more than a quarter of my lifetime ago.

40 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

1-1 all over it.

Starting 11...

New GK, Bennett, Lenihan, Mulgrew, Bell, Armstrong, Evan's, Johnson, Downing, Dack, Graham

Attendance- 12763

Ill be really annoyed if Mulgrew is ahead of Williams or new signing, and absolutely furious of Travis is dropped entirely.

• Like 1