BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Charlton

Just now, DE. said:

If Gallagher is starting on the bench I will be pretty flabbergasted that we spent £5m on another player to sit and watch. We can argue Brereton is young, needs time to develop, flex, whatever else. Gallagher is a 23 year old we bought from a Premier League club who has plenty of experience in this league. I can't imagine many other clubs in our position spending £5m on a player and then putting him on the bench and then using him as a rotation option. 

Over the course of the season, would have to agree with you. Some very difficult choices to be made about leaving out one of Rothwell, Gally and AA assuming that Graham or BB play as a lone out and out striker.

That said, both Rothwell and Armstrong have done enough to warrant starting berths for me. Gally on the bench for round one, let's see how quickly he can earn his place.

Just now, DE. said:

If Gallagher is starting on the bench I will be pretty flabbergasted that we spent £5m on another player to sit and watch. We can argue Brereton is young, needs time to develop, flex, whatever else. Gallagher is a 23 year old we bought from a Premier League club who has plenty of experience in this league. I can't imagine many other clubs in our position spending £5m on a player and then putting him on the bench and then using him as a rotation option. 

I know, but we also know how Tony is about these things. He could surprise us. I actually think he would start Brereton up there before Gallagher. I think Gallagher will eventually end up as first choice striker this season though, or Brereton. I'm confused :) 

Mowbray has said that everyone is starting from scratch this season, so it could be a really interesting team. Listened to an interview with him on break earlier. He was bigging Rankin-Costello up as a right back option. Going off what he was saying, it sounded like he has impressed him the most of all the young players. 

• Backroom
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I know, but we also know how Tony is about these things. He could surprise us. I actually think he would start Brereton up there before Gallagher. I think Gallagher will eventually end up as first choice striker this season though, or Brereton. I'm confused :) 

Mowbray has said that everyone is starting from scratch this season, so it could be a really interesting team. Listened to an interview with him on break earlier. He was bigging Rankin-Costello up as a right back option. Going off what he was saying, it sounded like he has impressed him the most of all the young players. 

Brereton's strong pre-season just re-affirms my thoughts that we really didn't need Gallagher. We're in a situation where you could argue none of our strikers (Graham, Brereton, Gallagher) deserve to be third choice and would be an absolute waste of resources that far down the pecking order. I really wish that £5m + wages had gone towards the defence and we'd brought in a Rothwell/Davenport type either from our u23's or elsewhere to challenge across the midfield/striking position. 

• Like 2

Just now, DE. said:

Brereton's strong pre-season just re-affirms my thoughts that we really didn't need Gallagher. We're in a situation where you could argue none of our strikers (Graham, Brereton, Gallagher) deserve to be third choice and would be an absolute waste of resources that far down the pecking order. I really wish that £5m + wages had gone towards the defence and we'd brought in a Rothwell/Davenport type either from our u23's or elsewhere to challenge across the midfield/striking position. 

I think Gallagher will be a good addition and we will get goals out of him and sell for a profit. In the short-term though, yes, I would have liked us to spend money on the defence. Hopefully we get one of these European targets in. 

Just now, BankEnd Rover said:

Do people think Adarabaiyo will start this weekend? I'm not convinced.

Doubt it and wouldn't be bothered either. 3 days to fit in to a back line isn't a lot of time.

As Mulgew is our club captain he should be more than able to play against a newly promoted Charlton side and hold his own. 

I reckon we still start:

-----------------Walton

Benno---Lenihan--Mulgrew--Downing

----------Travis---Johnson

Gally---------Dack--------Armstrong

--------------Graham

I can't see him starting the city lad, nor can i see him paying £5m for Gally and not playing him either.

Brereton might start upfront ahead of DG too, after bagging a couple in preseason

• Like 2

I think Bennett may actually start over Nyambe, but I think this is what we'll end up using throughout the season, probably with JRC and Buckley pushing for that CM and RB slot. Brereton could also challenge DG for that striker role too. But based on pre-season this seems to be the style

Blackburn Line-Up Prediction.png

11 minutes ago, JoeHarvey said:

I think Bennett may actually start over Nyambe, but I think this is what we'll end up using throughout the season, probably with JRC and Buckley pushing for that CM and RB slot. Brereton could also challenge DG for that striker role too. But based on pre-season this seems to be the style

Blackburn Line-Up Prediction.png

Armstrong over Rothwell & that i think will be the team. As much as i want it to happen, really can't see Rothwell starting over Arma.

1 hour ago, philipl said:

We have strong competition for places in midfield and forward line which augurs well.

I agree. We need competition to freshen things up when somebody is flagging or off form. You need a depth of squad to get promoted, especially as rotation will be needed for the twice weekly games and injuries. Another CB after Tosin and we could be looking good for the season. 

Ps I wouldn’t be surprised if Reid doesn’t rock up next Thursday when he doesn’t get in the Southampton team. 

Just now, FGS5635 said:

Its been a long time since an opening day team selection had this much anticipation. Not sure if thats good or bad, but everyone is certainly keen to see what it is

Think it's both good and bad. If Rothwell doesn't play, then that's the wrong call, but in fairness it's been a long time since we've had the options there that a call like that can be semi-justified, which it can be with the curren squad.

8 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Think it's both good and bad. If Rothwell doesn't play, then that's the wrong call, but in fairness it's been a long time since we've had the options there that a call like that can be semi-justified, which it can be with the curren squad.

I think whatever team he picks a some will be unhappy. Hardly anyone has the same lineup in here, which does show the options we have.

The only thing that really matters is that by 5pm sat we are sat there with 3 points :)

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Doubt it and wouldn't be bothered either. 3 days to fit in to a back line isn't a lot of time.

As Mulgew is our club captain he should be more than able to play against a newly promoted Charlton side and hold his own. 

Means absolutely nothing.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, roversinmyblood said:

I agree. We need competition to freshen things up when somebody is flagging or off form. You need a depth of squad to get promoted, especially as rotation will be needed for the twice weekly games and injuries. Another CB after Tosin and we could be looking good for the season. 

Ps I wouldn’t be surprised if Reid doesn’t rock up next Thursday when he doesn’t get in the Southampton team. 

See who leaves (midfielders)  I heard a similar tale earlier today !