BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Charlton

Just now, DE. said:

You got 1/2 right, although to be fair most of us predicted Mowbray wouldn't start Rothwell. It seemed like an inevitability that the one player the fans were most excited about would sit on his arse for 70 minutes watching the manager's favourites labour through yet another unimpressive performance. There was no excuse for him to be on the bench today, but going forward he simply must start. If he's still being used as backup/rotation by the time January rolls round he needs to be looking for a move, because he will be wasting his time here. 

I agree about Rothwell he's at the stage where being a bit part player is stunting his development, there isn't enough young legs in that starting 11 in important areas, I watched the game today and thought it was to slow in the build up, I would give the young lads a go and see how it went as after watching today to many of the old guard when the chips are down go through the motions

Oh and I did get the starting 11 right? 

There is a game tomorrow behind closed doors at United, it will be interesting to see how that goes as it will contain those who didn't play today and thosse not involved

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Tosin, Nyambe, Rothwell Chapman and Brereton need to come into the line up but probably won't.

Incredibly long season ahead.

...and that's the most depressing thing. If that performance wasn't a wakeup call then nothing ever will be.

I think TM's next selection will tell us all we need to know. Like you, I don't have too much hope, though...

Talk of Mowbray out is mad. But, today was a disaster, can’t be classed as anything else.

Johnson and Travis look like good pairing. Downing has some quality in his boots and that will help us over the course of the season. Everything was bang average.

Our big issue is at full back. Bennett is not a defender (and it shows) and Bell is poor all around - can’t defend, too many touches, no final ball.

The net result is unbelievable pressure on our central defence. I don’t subscribe to the Mulgrew should be dropped nonsense. Once Nyambe and Williams are either side, we’ll be stronger.

Edited by Martin
  • Like 2

I’ve not read any off the post to prevent being influenced  

Really poor a repeat of most of last season. Slow and ponderous going foward. Not able to defend, The whole four of our defence need replacing. Lenihan best of a bad bunch.

im not bothered about Mowbrays dressing room. He will not last till Christmas if he doesn’t sort our that defence.

finally on a side note he has spoilt Travis as a player  now side to side no driving runs. 

I assume like reed he had to learn from Evans and Smallwood.

really disappointing 

• Like 4

• Backroom
Just now, SkipDonoghue said:

I agree about Rothwell he's at the stage where being a bit part player is stunting his development, there isn't enough young legs in that starting 11 in important areas, I watched the game today and thought it was to slow in the build up, I would give the young lads a go and see how it went as after watching today to many of the old guard when the chips are down go through the motions

I imagine Downing will get the benefit of the doubt with it being his first game for the club. Fair enough I suppose. Bennett and Mulgrew though... what do they have to do to get benched? A Shane Duffy? It was so, so obvious last season that neither of them were up to the required standard and yet here they are, starting another season as if nothing is wrong. "Defensively we're alright"... no, Tony, you were right the first time way back in April. We aren't alright. 

• Like 1

Just now, Martin said:

Our big issue is at full back. Bennett is not a defender (and it shows) and Bell is poor all around - can’t defend, too many touches, no final final.

Bell didn't play well, but he was a damn sight better than some of those more experienced players around him.

He came to Rovers at 23 and was then stuck in a defence like that. Is it any surprise he's regressed since then? 

Surely TM saw today the need for Tosin and Nyambe to be in for the next match.

• Like 1

Just now, Martin said:

Talk of Mowbray out is mad. But, today was a disaster, can’t be classed as anything else.

Johnson and Travis look like good pairing. Downing has some quality in his boots and that will help us over the course of the season. Everything was bang average.

Our big issue is at full back. Bennett is not a defender (and it shows) and Bell is poor all around - can’t defend, too many touches, no final ball.

The net result is unbelievable pressure on our central defence. I don’t subscribe to the Mulgrew should be dropped nonsense. Once Nyambe and Williams are either side, we’ll be stronger.

Mulgrew is a terrible player at this level.

• Like 3

Just now, garnersfags said:

Whether we'll do well this season is an impossible question but what isn't in doubt is our inability to strengthen our undoubtedly leaky defence. 

My main concern today was the weirdly timed double substitution when we were totally on top. Moving Downing to the left had transformed us as an attacking force and we'd had 10+ minutes of wave after wave of attacks and it genuinely felt like a 2nd goal was coming. 

Making a double substitution seemed guaranteed to interrupt this momentum, and that's exactly what happened. 

That, for me, is the reason we didn't get at least a point as it allowed Charlton back into the game and gave them their 3 minutes if pressure, from which our League One defence presented them with the winner. 

I thought Downing was leading and creating plenty when he was removed.

When Travis went off, we just reverted to unsuccessful long balls, as Johnson had too much to do on his own in centre midfield.  

I predict Gallacher is Brereton Mk2., causes problem with his athletic prowess and strength, but still little evidence if footballing ability. I really hope I'm proved wrong on this. 

3 main reasons we lost:

1.  Mowbray's inability to recognise our defensive frailties  

2.  The decision to play Downing on the right in the 1st half

3.  The badly timed double substitution when we were dominant

Where does that point......?

Exactly my thoughts also. The starting 11 would’ve won that game I felt.

We all knew that the back 4 wasn’t good enough last season. He’s not only decided not to sign another right back but not to start are actual right back who whatever you think about him an actual right back.

Mulgrew is done at this level and isn’t good enough, we knew this and has to be dropped for then new lad no excuses.

Bells only redeeming feature is he’s a better left back Williams. Another position we could’ve chosen to improve but haven’t. Let’s just hope that Hart is better than we think

Dropping Rothwell imo was pathetic, was option for him. Downing was tidy and Armstrong ineffective. I just don’t see what more Rothwell has to do to be considered first choice.

id be more annoyed if I hadn’t seen this sort of team selection coming. 

Lets go back to february this year, Mowbray stated this defence is terrible new defenders are coming they know their days are numbered, fast forward to today same defence same crap defending, if i was the chap who reports for the LT i would be asking Mowbray if he actually knows what a disaster he made of today, 8500 season ticket holders 14,185 on the ground, okay about 1k from Charlton, but 3k turned up on the day, keep that performance and team selection up and i bet even ST holders wont bother. I am so so Pissed with Mowbray and his lack of defensive capabilities. 

• Like 4

• Backroom
Just now, garnersfags said:

I predict Gallacher is Brereton Mk2., causes problem with his athletic prowess and strength, but still little evidence of footballing ability. I really hope I'm proved wrong on this. 

I think both Gallagher and Brereton would work well in the right team... but it isn't ours. They're never going to come close to their potential playing under Mowbray. They'll either be shunted out wide as ineffective wingers or asked to be Danny Graham clones, and I'm afraid neither of them are that. We'll need a new manager and a totally new way of playing to get the best out of either of them - and considering the outlay we really do need to get the best out of them. 

• Like 2

Deja vu and Groundhog Day rolled into one. Same suit, different season.

Despite Mowbrays bluff and bluster about defending and a new style of football nothing has changed. We are so poor defensively I am worried about being in a relegation fight rather than pushing for a play off place. Mowbray has to bear the brunt of criticism for not bringing in defenders who can actually defend. Both goals were shockingly bad which Mowbray has acknowledged. But the question has to be asked why he didn't buy any. And why did he put Gallagher wide right when Armstrong went off. For me we needed two big lads up front but Gallagher was effectively out of the game. Dack was poor, Armstrong frustrating and Graham not at it. 

As I have said many times Mowbray gets an easy ride from the fans but that will change with many more results like this against a poor side.

How good was Lyle Taylor for them?

• Like 3

• Backroom
Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

http://bit.ly/2LXwP0X

“It’s harsh to say it’s the back four, or his fault and his fault."

Didn't mind doing it to Raya though did you Tony. Can't be doing it to Bennett or Mulgrew though.

“I thought there was some good stuff, domination of the ball, but the frustration was the quality of the ball in to the box, the final pass, the clinical side of the game to score and create chances."

A shame we didn't have a player available who has shown himself to have the ability to score and create chances. Somebody like a Joe Roth... oh, wait. 

• Like 3

Basic review;

Played ok in patches but defensive individual errors cost us points.

Sound familiar?

Subs killed us too: I’m not blaming anyone for it but putting Rothwell and Gallagher out wide basically turned the game back in Charlton’s favour.

Set pieces again a weakness. Another season of mid table after the investment we’ve had will/can only be seen as poor. Hopefully this is a stutter....

I thought the game turned the moment he withdrew Armstrong and Downing and introduced Graham and Rothwell.  We lost all momentum at that point and the two subs did nothing to justify the change as it completely upset the balance of the team.

I thought Downing and Johnson look positive additions but I'll reserve judgment on Gallagher and Walton at this point.

Once again we conceded two very soft goals - although in fairness we also scored a soft goal.

On the evidence of pre-season and today I would think that Hart will be given a chance at left-back when fit as I thought Bell and Bennett were poor today.

Early days but I still think we have more than enough in the squad for a comfortable mid-table season.  Looking at the results today it just shows how difficult and unpredictable the Championship is. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Inconsistent Dack? Lol 

Bennett should never ever be a regular.

Lol

Well that was an anti climax, typical timid opening game!

I hope that's the last time we see that back four, and in particular, Bennett at RB.

Positives - Thought Downing, Johnson, Travis, Rothwell, had decent games, was disappointed when Travis was taken off and I presume he's protecting Downing.

Negatives - Bennett, Armstrong, Dack, Bell, Charlie

Neither + or - Walton, Gallagher, Lenihan.

Very poor that Rothwell and Nyambe didn't start and I'd have taken Bradley off before Travis.

Walton had a few shakey moments but need to see him over a few games before any reasonable judgement can be made.

Anyway, that's the first one out of the way, hopefully TM has seen where his strengths and liabilities are.

COYB

Edited by Doug
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, garnersfags said:

Whether we'll do well this season is an impossible question but what isn't in doubt is our inability to strengthen our undoubtedly leaky defence. 

My main concern today was the weirdly timed double substitution when we were totally on top. Moving Downing to the left had transformed us as an attacking force and we'd had 10+ minutes of wave after wave of attacks and it genuinely felt like a 2nd goal was coming. 

Making a double substitution seemed guaranteed to interrupt this momentum, and that's exactly what happened. 

That, for me, is the reason we didn't get at least a point as it allowed Charlton back into the game and gave them their 3 minutes of pressure, from which our League One defence presented them with the winner. 

I thought Downing was leading and creating plenty when he was removed.

When Travis went off, we just reverted to unsuccessful long balls, as Johnson had too much to do on his own in centre midfield.  

I predict Gallacher is Brereton Mk2., causes problem with his athletic prowess and strength, but still little evidence of footballing ability. I really hope I'm proved wrong on this. 

3 main reasons we lost:

1.  Mowbray's inability to recognise our defensive frailties  

2.  The decision to play Downing on the right in the 1st half

3.  The badly timed double substitution when we were dominant

Where does that point......?

Which is why Gallagher should be used right down the middle to maximise his attributes and try and cause problems for the opposition the lad is quite mobile and will graft.