BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Charlton

Just now, CheshireRover said:

Laughable.

“It’s a bit simplistic to say ‘same back four, same results’”

He doesn’t see what everyone else does, is he unwell?

He must be the easiest Football manager to interview and put a piece together for the LT.

Ask no questions, stick a mike in from of him and let him run his mouth,

Mowbray is a known expert in the 'blame' game and a prime example was 'Chickens coming home to roost' and that's from his Coventry days when his mistakes in the market and his mistakes in team selection/tactics led to him running before sacking.

At Ewood however, he, Mowbray, runs the Show.

• Like 2

Just now, DE. said:

I think both Gallagher and Brereton would work well in the right team... but it isn't ours. They're never going to come close to their potential playing under Mowbray. They'll either be shunted out wide as ineffective wingers or asked to be Danny Graham clones, and I'm afraid neither of them are that. We'll need a new manager and a totally new way of playing to get the best out of either of them - and considering the outlay we really do need to get the best out of them. 

I was dismayed at how poor Gallagher looked today, he makes Brereton look like Messi in comparison imo. And Brereton still has a long way to go.

The bloke sat behind me today thought Gallagher had a great game today, funny how two people can view the same game so differently, I can't see a player there or any potential in him at all.

I'm convinced people are blinded to just how poor he is by the fact he runs about a lot which cons people into thinking he's a decent player and a bit of a handful but in reality he doesn't have any physical presence at all.

• Like 3

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

I was dismayed at how poor Gallagher looked today, he makes Brereton look like Messi in comparison imo. And Brereton still has a long way to go.

The bloke sat behind me today thought Gallagher had a great game today, funny how two people can view the same game so differently, I can't see a player there or any potential in him at all.

I'm convinced people are blinded to just how poor he is by the fact he runs about a lot which cons people into thinking he's a decent player and a bit of a handful but in reality he doesn't have any physical presence at all.

Yes and he didnt even give Brereton a chance and brought the kid on who looked out of his depth. Poor decisions all afternoon 

• Like 1

Mowbray :"We came away with a defeat because of our inability to deal with a corner..."

No mention of Bennett giving the ball away then darting diagonal across the pitch in order to correct his error which resulted in Charton's opening goal. 

• Like 1

Just now, tugayislegend said:

Watch skysports highlights, on 27 seconds, under no pressure mulgrew cant head a simple ball, their striker is straight on goal 1 on 1. This is identical to the mistakes he made in game cant remember near end of last season. 

Please watch it...

He does that all the time as well as letting balls bounce in front of him outside the box he really isn't a muck and bullets defender which you need to be in this league probably more than any other.

• Like 3

Just now, Parsonblue said:

I thought the game turned the moment he withdrew Armstrong and Downing and introduced Graham and Rothwell.  We lost all momentum at that point and the two subs did nothing to justify the change as it completely upset the balance of the team.

I thought Downing and Johnson look positive additions but I'll reserve judgment on Gallagher and Walton at this point.

Once again we conceded two very soft goals - although in fairness we also scored a soft goal.

On the evidence of pre-season and today I would think that Hart will be given a chance at left-back when fit as I thought Bell and Bennett were poor today.

Early days but I still think we have more than enough in the squad for a comfortable mid-table season.  Looking at the results today it just shows how difficult and unpredictable the Championship is. 

I'd say that's an extremely rose tinted view of proceedings. 

Our equaliser was a complete fluke, we created next to naff all, and based solely on that 90 mins there's nothing whatsoever to suggest we can finish mid table.

We might improve of course. But by Christ we'll need to.

If you want a crash course in how to make the fanbase rapidly lose faith with you then follow what Mowbray is doing.

The performance and lineup just groundhog day stuff again. Only minor surprise was not having Graham in the team from the start. Usual positive first 10 minutes before regression for the remainder of the first half. Usual 0 goals at half time. Usual routine of the opposition countering to score with their first attempt after a silly mistake. Usual 'brave' fightback. Usual bucket-loads of possession with little to show for it. Usual sucker punch at the other end from a corner. Boring. Tiring. Frustrating. 

Nothing has changed. Despite promising to do so much we're no further on than this time last year. As expected the new lad nowhere to be seen. Nyambe making up the numbers. 

Sick and fed up with it already.

Another opening day failure to win. Is that now 10 years in a row? All by chance or a result of woeful pre-seasons and poor preparation?

Charlton a very limited side but did the job on us. More idea and more of a plan than our lot. 

I can see the fanbase turning quickly on Mowbray without big changes soon. He's made a rod for his own back and he's had ample time and money to address it. That was appalling and horrendous to watch. 

After Charlton's second went in it was game up for us. Heads dropped and that was that.

Last ten minutes, 2-1 down at home and we've Gallagher on the wing. He should be in the box at that point winning headers. 

I haven't seen it again since but couldn't see where the corner came from for their 2nd goal?

We won't go anywhere gifting goals away.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

http://bit.ly/2LXwP0X

“It’s harsh to say it’s the back four, or his fault and his fault."

Didn't mind doing it to Raya though did you Tony. Can't be doing it to Bennett or Mulgrew though.

And Nayambe. TM's hipocracy is what gets me the most. He's thrown a few players under the bus just not his favourites. Spineless on both counts. 

• Like 3

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Yes and he didnt even give Brereton a chance and brought the kid on who looked out of his depth. Poor decisions all afternoon 

Have to admit I don’t get why Travis was subbed for Buckley. 

I think he looks a talent but surely the straight forward change at that point is an extra forward?

Just now, Cherry Blue said:

Mowbray :"We came away with a defeat because of our inability to deal with a corner..."

No mention of Bennett giving the ball away then darting diagonal across the pitch in order to correct his error which resulted in Charton's opening goal. 

To be fair- no mention of Bell backing off and then ducking for Williams cross on the first goal either 

Just now, Doug said:

Lol

Well that was an anti climax, typical timid opening game!

I hope that's the last time we see that back four, and in particular, Bennett at RB.

Positives - Thought Downing, Johnson, Travis, Rothwell, had decent games, was disappointed when Travis was taken off and I presume he's protecting Downing.

Negatives - Bennett, Armstrong, Dack, Bell, Charlie

Neither + or - Walton, Gallagher, Lenihan.

Very poor that Rothwell and Nyambe didn't start and I'd have taken Bradley off before Travis.

Walton had a few shakey moments but need to see him over a few games before any reasonable judgement van be made.

Anyway, that's the first one out of the way, hopefully TM has seen where his strengths and liabilities are.

COYB

Thought Armstrong and Dack were ok.

Walton - would have to see the goals again - but wondered why he didn't come for either goal.

We ran out of steam in the second half against a very average team - that defended very well and ran their socks off.

Thought Bennett was my pick for worst player on the day - Johnson rightly MOM.

Going forward - at least we have time to bring in some defensive improvements - for the first match of the season I thought we played reasonably well - just undone by a couple of defensive lapses (sounds familiar).

Not certain what we do about Rothwell - we have to find space in the team for him - just not certain who we drop to accomodate. As you said - Downing looked good today - and we looked poor without the pace of Armstrong to force them to play a little deeper.  

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, imy9 said:

Tbf the LET interview is a better read... 

'I’ve brought Tosin in so that won’t be the back four soon.' 

So clearly expect changes in the next week or two. 

As has been said before on this board, one change isn't going to rescue our back 5.

If TM thinks it is, then that worries me even more.

3 changes and we might be getting somewhere.  

• Like 3

Just now, Silas said:

As has been said before on this board, one change isn't going to rescue our back 5.

If TM thinks it is, then that worries me even more.

3 changes and we might be getting somewhere.  

Goalkeeper changed, Tosin in. But we need a left back and Nyambe at RB. So essentially a brand new back line... 

Charlton seriously threatened 5 minutes all game? Scored 2 from utterly half hearted defending. Remember their main goal threat was out injured today too...

Had Gallagher and Downing connected with ball rather than fresh air in the first 30 minutes when they had just the keeper to beat, we might have been talking of a win but that would have masked the real problems we have.

Just now, imy9 said:

Tbf the LET interview is a better read... 

'I’ve brought Tosin in so that won’t be the back four soon.' 

So clearly expect changes in the next week or two. 

In a week or two we could be on zero points and struggling. The time to bring new defenders in was several weeks ago not waiting until the last minute (that is if any come in at all). In all honesty I've given up taking notice of what Mowbray says anymore.

• Like 4

Just now, philipl said:

Charlton seriously threatened 5 minutes all game? Scored 2 from utterly half hearted defending. Remember their main goal threat was out injured today too...

Had Gallagher and Downing connected with ball rather than fresh air in the first 30 minutes when they had just the keeper to beat, we might have been talking of a win but that would have masked the real problems we have.

For all our ponderous possession, how many saves did their keeper have to make?

They even gave us a chance by scoring a comedy goal for us.

The whole performance was a dog's dinner, and even a late leveller wouldn't have masked that.

• Like 1

I don't think putting in a young centreback with 30+  games in the Championship will fix this.

We need a guy age 26-30 who actually have played at a higher level.

It certainly will cost, but buying quality things these days usually does that.

Edited by Swanson
  • Like 2

Just now, martonrover said:

For all our ponderous possession, how many saves did their keeper have to make?

They even gave us a chance by scoring a comedy goal for us.

The whole performance was a dog's dinner, and even a late leveller wouldn't have masked that.

Ponderous possession is an excellent , summing up !!

• Like 2

Utterly depressing and sadly inevitable way to start a new season.

Charlton are shite, playing essentially 5 at the back and only Taylor and maybe Williams who could be considered attacking players.

The full backs are as bad as any in the division, make no mistake. Bell looks repeatedly lost as to what hes supposed to be doing on a football pitch. Messed up a 2 yard pass at one point. Bennett is teachers pet but his performance was summed up by slipping them in on goal near the end. Both cannot continue to play if we want top half, never mind bloody top 6. Neither are Championship players.

We know Mulgrew is finished, its not a surprise.  Lenihan loves a pass into touch still, and Walton doesnt inspire much confidence but made a good save at the end. The defence is a repeatedly neglected shit show, we need a left back, centre back and right back in this week, plus a keeper. It needs overhauling. It hasnt been. If Mowbray wont do it then someone else should come in and do it. 

Gallagher didnt impress me either, ran in behind a couple of times but didnt really achieve anything with it, mind you when we needed an equaliser he was practically stood in the Riverside. More square pegs in round holes.

Dack was quiet again, although his turn and then through ball which Gallagher couldnt do anything with was a delight, looked frustrated. Armstrong wasnt great either, always feel hes better right than left. Travis wasnt at his best either.

Johnson was by far our best player barring once when he surrendered the ball in a stupid position. Played some lovely passes, a few great turns and added some bite. Downing was poor on the right first half, our whole right side was non-existent, when he moved onto his natural left he was much better and I thought it was a strange decision to sub him.

How Rothwell and Nyambe didnt start I have no idea, and the Brereton farce continues to baffle.

• Like 3