BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Charlton

14 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Utterly depressing and sadly inevitable way to start a new season.

Charlton are shite, playing essentially 5 at the back and only Taylor and maybe Williams who could be considered attacking players.

The full backs are as bad as any in the division, make no mistake. Bell looks repeatedly lost as to what hes supposed to be doing on a football pitch. Messed up a 2 yard pass at one point. Bennett is teachers pet but his performance was summed up by slipping them in on goal near the end. Both cannot continue to play if we want top half, never mind bloody top 6. Neither are Championship players.

We know Mulgrew is finished, its not a surprise.  Lenihan loves a pass into touch still, and Walton doesnt inspire much confidence but made a good save at the end. The defence is a repeatedly neglected shit show, we need a left back, centre back and right back in this week, plus a keeper. It needs overhauling. It hasnt been. If Mowbray wont do it then someone else should come in and do it. 

Gallagher didnt impress me either, ran in behind a couple of times but didnt really achieve anything with it, mind you when we needed an equaliser he was practically stood in the Riverside. More square pegs in round holes.

Dack was quiet again, although his turn and then through ball which Gallagher couldnt do anything with was a delight, looked frustrated. Armstrong wasnt great either, always feel hes better right than left. Travis wasnt at his best either.

Johnson was by far our best player barring once when he surrendered the ball in a stupid position. Played some lovely passes, a few great turns and added some bite. Downing was poor on the right first half, our whole right side was non-existent, when he moved onto his natural left he was much better and I thought it was a strange decision to sub him.

How Rothwell and Nyambe didnt start I have no idea, and the Brereton farce continues to baffle.

Why the hell Downing should be on there right and Armstrong on the left is another question for our Genius manager.

• Like 4

Just now, DE. said:

Does that make us the better team, though, or them? Sounds like we were set up completely ineffectively and weren't able to create anything useful, whilst they had a counter-attacking system which targeted our poor defence and worked. We had more possession for sure, but it doesn't sound like we did much with it, whereas Charlton made the most of what they had. 

They did make the most of what they had. Its not easy to break down a team with 10 men behind the ball.

However that begs the question how did they score 2 goals? 

Our defence is piss poor, apart from Lenihan the other 3 would not get in any of then top 10 teams.

TM MUST address this!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Spankus Munky said:

Well Sheff Utd lost 2-1 @ home on opening day last season and they did alright ?

He has 5 days to get at least 1 proper centre-back in or we are in a season of abject mediocrity

They also lost their second game 3 nil. I used Sheff Utd as an example to be hopeful after our bad start in league one but I'm not sure lightning will strike twice.

Just now, tugayislegend said:

Wigan fan I know rates Walton very highly, to the extent he thinks he may play for England one day. 

Brighton rate him highly as he was not for sale only available on loan!

Funny how those who haven't even seen him play are making judgements.

I thought he was OK, probably wondering what he's let himself in for! Didn't see him directing the defence at all mind.

Didn't see much point I suppose.

• Backroom
Just now, tugayislegend said:

They did make the most of what they had. Its not easy to break down a team with 10 men behind the ball.

However that begs the question how did they score 2 goals? 

Our defence is piss poor, apart from Lenihan the other 3 would not get in any of then top 10 teams.

TM MUST address this!

Agreed, unless we have 100% possession our defence is always going to be vulnerable. Lesser teams will counter attack us, whilst better teams will simply pulverise us. We won't lose all of those games, but we'll get a lot less points because we simply don't have the quality at the back to keep the ball out of our net. We can't progress without the back line being addressed, it will undo any of the good work our forwards manage.  

Well that was disappointing, not made any better by seeing Lyle Taylor at Charnock Richard services.

Not fair to judge on 1 game but not convinced by Walton at all. Got to blame the first goal on him, should’ve been claiming that cross all day long. Can’t remember him coming for a cross all match tbh. Maybe that’s being used to playing behind Dan Burn. Have to say I’d be picking Leutwiller next week on that performance.

Johnson was excellent, just the sort of nasty bugger cm we’ve been crying out for yonks. Thought Downing did well also but Rothwell was probably our form player at the end of last year, shouldn’t be on the bench.

All in all a very bad day + with the fixtures coming up this month hard to see us with many points before September.

• Like 2

We simply don’t have a championship level full back in the squad (Nyambe the best but doesn’t get a sniff).

Bell and Williams are L1 level and that’s been clear since we were in that division. 

Armstrong seems to do no wrong, always starts but the guy is simply not a good footballer, just has speed which is fine in preseason against part timers but he’s also not championship level. 

I’d say the only area of strength we maybe have is through the centre; Johnson/Travis/Dack/Rothwell. 

We need a RB, LB and CB before the window closes. We cannot start Armstrong and Downing as we’re weak on both wings then. 

Just now, 47er said:

Why the hell Downing should be on there right and Armstrong on the left is another question for our Genius manager.

Armstrong was left Downing right? wow....

I find the Nyambe situation strange as I actually rate him highly at right back. Must have had a fall out at some point. 

• Like 1

Went to today.  Plus points for me - Johnson in centre mid is a definite upgrade over Smallwood or Evans.  Also thought Gallagher did press a lot really well, until moved to the wing.  Minus points were that by the end I was thinking that I would rather have Charltons back 4!

Edited by pjt
  • Like 3

Just now, 47er said:

That's OK then? No need for any new defenders? No anger that we haven't signed them?

Other than simply attending with friends, I'm not sure what you're looking for but we've had this discussion before.

I not sure what your point is 47er.  The manager signs the players he wants and can afford.  You or I have no influence over that so why waste energy being angry.  At the end of the day it's his job that's on the line if he gets it wrong.  Like all supporters I want us to be the best we can be but at the moment I honestly believe that we are a mid-table Championship club, one who will finish somewhere between 10th and 16th.  I honestly don't believe this squad is poor enough to take us down but I'm not convinced they are good enough to take us up.   Like last season they'll string results together and then go on a losing run.

At the end of the day much will depend on how the likes of Gallagher and Brereton develop this season along with the new lad from City.  A fit Williams would add competition in the centre of defence as I thought he and Lenihan did OK towards the end of last season.

There is still a week left in the transfer window so we'll see if the manager can bring in the players who give us what we need.  A commanding centre half of the McNamee, Hawkins, Moran variety would be my wish but I'm not buying the players or paying the wages so I can't really influence who we bring in.

Yes I enjoy attending matches at all levels with friends and yes I want us to win every game.  But a lifetime of supporting Rovers has taught me that disappointment is never far away.   

• Like 5

Just now, Parsonblue said:

I not sure what your point is 47er.  The manager signs the players he wants and can afford.  You or I have no influence over that so why waste energy being angry.  At the end of the day it's his job that's on the line if he gets it wrong.  Like all supporters I want us to be the best we can be but at the moment I honestly believe that we are a mid-table Championship club, one who will finish somewhere between 10th and 16th.  I honestly don't believe this squad is poor enough to take us down but I'm not convinced they are good enough to take us up.   Like last season they'll string results together and then go on a losing run.

At the end of the day much will depend on how the likes of Gallagher and Brereton develop this season along with the new lad from City.  A fit Williams would add competition in the centre of defence as I thought he and Lenihan did OK towards the end of last season.

There is still a week left in the transfer window so we'll see if the manager can bring in the players who give us what we need.  A commanding centre half of the McNamee, Hawkins, Moran variety would be my wish but I'm not buying the players or paying the wages so I can't really influence who we bring in.

Yes I enjoy attending matches at all levels with friends and yes I want us to win every game.  But a lifetime of supporting Rovers has taught me that disappointment is never far away.   

"The manager signs the players he wants and can afford"? So he can sign 2 strikers for £12M but, by your logic, can't  afford or doesn't want to sign decent defenders?

And you don't mind?

I'm honestly not trying to pick a fight with you but I think you're happy just to go and enjoy whatever is served up.

I simply couldn't be like that. 

And by the way, today was the perfect answer to those who moan about negativity and tell us to"get behind the lads FFS"

As far as I could see, everybody did.There was an excellent atmosphere and no getting at the players, collectively or individually. It won't last with displays like this one. It made no difference anyway because this team was outplayed where it counts and out-managed.

Finally every fan has influence if they choose to use it. Make no mistake TM is on borrowed time. This was a shambles.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I was dismayed at how poor Gallagher looked today, he makes Brereton look like Messi in comparison imo. And Brereton still has a long way to go.

The bloke sat behind me today thought Gallagher had a great game today, funny how two people can view the same game so differently, I can't see a player there or any potential in him at all.

I'm convinced people are blinded to just how poor he is by the fact he runs about a lot which cons people into thinking he's a decent player and a bit of a handful but in reality he doesn't have any physical presence at all.

I thought he was poor last time he was here, but again people around me thought he was a really promising player. Doesn't have enough about him for mine.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Rubbish the save he pulled off at the end was evidence enough he will do well with us. He is not to blame for the goals we conceded Bennett and rothwell are

Thought he could have done better with the first - you have to command your six yard box as a goalkeeper. Admittedly Bennett was nowhere to be seen at the back post.

Just now, 47er said:

"The manager signs the players he wants and can afford"? So he can sign 2 strikers for £12M but, by your logic, can't  afford or doesn't want to sign decent defenders?

And you don't mind?

I'm honestly not trying to pick a fight with you but I think you're happy just to go and enjoy whatever is served up.

I simply couldn't be like that. 

And by the way, today was the perfect answer to those who moan about negativity and tell us to"get behind the lads FFS"

As far as I could see, everybody did.There was an excellent atmosphere and no getting at the players, collectively or individually. It won't last with displays like this one. It made no difference anyway because this team was outplayed where it counts and out-managed.

Finally every fan has influence if they choose to use it. Make no mistake TM is on borrowed time. This was a shambles.

As I said it's the manager's choice who he signs.  If you believe you can influence his decision - great, please tell him to get an experienced centre-back.

Ultimately, manager's who get the majority of decisions wrong get the sack.  That's the one constant in football.  Mowbray is no different from any other manager in that regard.

After almost sixty years of supporting Rovers I can now, finally, take results in my stride without getting too carried away with a string of wins or too depressed with a run of defeats. 

• Like 4

First game of the season and the calls for Mowbrays head in my opinion are justified, how many transfer windows has he had to sort out the defence?  He’s a decent manager and should be thanked for the work he’s done but I don’t think he can take this club forward, too negative, loyalty to past it players and sometimes bewildering substitutions/tactics. We will not be promoted under Mowbray, thank you Tony but time to go. 

• Like 2

Despite the result it will not ruin my life or weekend and I won’t be up there shouting rubbish about TM and that he should be sacked ! 45 games left 27 wins to get promotion ? it’s a long season with ups and downs. Mowbray righted a sunken ship and is steering the good ship BRFC to calm waters have a beer take a pill and relax 

• Like 3

Just now, Parsonblue said:

Ultimately, manager's who get the majority of decisions wrong get the sack.  That's the one constant in football.  Mowbray is no different from any other manager in that regard.

Kean. Thus Venkys.

• Like 1

Garnersfags/JH Rover –perceptive and spot on.

Just a few things other than the mountains of posts which rightly bemoan the obvious defensive efforts.

-Did their keeper make a save in the first half despite our more or less total control of the game?

-Downing certainly isn’t going to beat several players and finish but his class in terms of receiving the ball and keeping it was apparent. Ditto Johnson.  Downing and Bell actually linked up quite well in terms of attacking.

-So our subs completely changed the game. At 1-1 we were on top. Rothwell brought on (all on here glad?), Danny brought on (cheers from all here who thought he should start?) But shape all changed. Gallagher (still the same talentless runner he always was –nice lad and willing though he is) pushed out wide (not his fault) and totally ineffective. They score. And with 20 to go we proceed to play hoofball and look bereft of ideas. Simply stopped playing properly. Picture this in the last 20 countless times. They are ahead and running down the clock obviously (well done ref +6mins). Every man behind the ball for Charlton, 5 across the back. Lenihan picks up the ball half way line. Looks up. Countless times launches it long. Graham offside at least twice. Into touch at least twice. Gallagher stuck out on right not even competing. Rothwell, our most creative player hardly touched the ball for last 20 but just watched as it sailed over his head. Utterly useless tactics. We wouldn’t’ have equalised if we had played another 20.

-Mowbray antedelluvian. What exactly is the plan?

- If you were to draw up a league table of wages and transfer fees in relation to league success, where would we be last season and predictions for this season?

• Like 2