BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Charlton

1 hour ago, tugayislegend said:

It's not their expectations were low , contrary to a lot of the negativity on here we did have A LOT of possession in the final third and after our equaliser there only looked like 1 winner us. we had a period of immense pressure for about 15 mins but could not carve out any clear chances. 1st goal Bennett passed straight to them and they countered, 2nd goal their number 9 beat Lenihan in air to head home. Hence why tosin at 6ft 5 must start next game! 

P.S Bradley Johnson - cant remember the last time I saw such an accomplished all round performance from a CM

There's no negativity on here----just realism. We were crap and it would be a lie to pretend otherwise. And this is not criticism based on a single game---its a continuum carried on from most of last season and the aftermath of another poor transfer window where the underlying issues haven't been addressed. This is despite the manager admitting them and promising to do something about them.

• Like 4

We are always Poor in the first 3-4 games in to a season. Really dont know Why? Last season and the season before in league one we started badly. It was obvious today what was wrong and the manager and Venus/Johnson and co should take notice. Even Fulham lost against Barnsley so it will be an open league this season and everyone can beat everyone but utterly disappointed today.

Stating the obvious but Bell, Mulgrew, Bennett are not good enough. How on earth are these players still starting after the shambolic defensive record last season? 

Lenihan is good, Nyambe has potential, Walton will be good, and Williams is an ok back-up centre half but that’s the extent of any quality we have in defensive areas.

Big week ahead on the transfer front. 

• Like 7

A very amateurish pre-season has culminated in a home defeat to a relegation favourite. A game we really needed to win considering the quality of our upcoming opponents. The quality of the pre-season opposition was laughable, but the biggest failing though is our inability  to recruit the defenders we so desperately need. It has been clear since the New Year that we needed a defensive overhaul and TM even stated as much in the spring and here we are starting the season with Mulgrew, Bell and Bennett. TM told our only firm long term defensive target that he is not assured a starting position so he chose to go to PNE. Looks like he told Tosin something similar which nearly meant he changed his mind. Peak stupidity from TM. If we fail to recruit by Thursday then fans will not be especially patient if we struggle in our first 5 matches. 

Edited by Gamst
  • Like 7

25 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

I not sure what your point is 47er.  The manager signs the players he wants and can afford.  You or I have no influence over that so why waste energy being angry.  At the end of the day it's his job that's on the line if he gets it wrong.  Like all supporters I want us to be the best we can be but at the moment I honestly believe that we are a mid-table Championship club, one who will finish somewhere between 10th and 16th.  I honestly don't believe this squad is poor enough to take us down but I'm not convinced they are good enough to take us up.   Like last season they'll string results together and then go on a losing run.

At the end of the day much will depend on how the likes of Gallagher and Brereton develop this season along with the new lad from City.  A fit Williams would add competition in the centre of defence as I thought he and Lenihan did OK towards the end of last season.

There is still a week left in the transfer window so we'll see if the manager can bring in the players who give us what we need.  A commanding centre half of the McNamee, Hawkins, Moran variety would be my wish but I'm not buying the players or paying the wages so I can't really influence who we bring in.

Yes I enjoy attending matches at all levels with friends and yes I want us to win every game.  But a lifetime of supporting Rovers has taught me that disappointment is never far away.   

I always look at your posts with the up most respect for your knowledge and objectivity. For me however mediocrity is unacceptable Particularly if it’s compounded by Managerial incompetency

Mulgrew is and never was a championship standard defender.

Bennett is at best an average championship midfielder and would be ok from the bench but to shoehorn him to any position particularly at right back in exchange for nyambe is an odd decision and that is just to be polite

amari bell league one at a maximum.

The reality is Mowbray is a nice chap but we are drifting into an acceptance of mediocrity. The team is better than he makes it and even when he recognises a weakness he doesnt change it.

I’m just fed up of watching what was served up today. It lacks passion and defensively it’s inept. He says its not the players and to confirm this he picks the same guys every week. Therefore it’s either the coaching or the managers team selection/formation both are his responsibility.

If he continues down the current projectory he will not make Christmas. 

This would be my suggestion drop mulgrew bennet and bell and buy/ loan replacements and do that ASAP or your out of a job

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

I thought the game turned the moment he withdrew Armstrong and Downing and introduced Graham and Rothwell.  We lost all momentum at that point and the two subs did nothing to justify the change as it completely upset the balance of the team.

I thought Downing and Johnson look positive additions but I'll reserve judgment on Gallagher and Walton at this point.

Once again we conceded two very soft goals - although in fairness we also scored a soft goal.

On the evidence of pre-season and today I would think that Hart will be given a chance at left-back when fit as I thought Bell and Bennett were poor today.

Early days but I still think we have more than enough in the squad for a comfortable mid-table season.  Looking at the results today it just shows how difficult and unpredictable the Championship is. 

So Mowbray joined us in season 2016/17 (after we finished 15th in 2015/16) and failed to keep us up even though that was what he was brought in to do, has spent some £15million on strikers in last 12 months and you would be happy for a mid table finish 11th/12th !!!

You are easily suited !!!

I think he should have been bombed out some time ago.  After today's shambles, I think his departure is long overdue.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, neophox said:

We are always Poor in the first 3-4 games in to a season. Really dont know Why? Last season and the season before in league one we started badly. It was obvious today what was wrong and the manager and Venus/Johnson and co should take notice. Even Fulham lost against Barnsley so it will be an open league this season and everyone can beat everyone but utterly disappointed today.

Micky mouse pre seasons playing Barrow and Bury trialists whilst rivals are off in Europe playing top division clubs.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, neophox said:

Were we not unbeaten in our first few games last season? 

15 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Barnsley started 2 new centre halves today. One signed from Belgium, one from Denmark. One 6’ 2, one 6’ 5, both aged 21. Players are out there, and not signing one to go straight into the first team is gross negligence. All this talk of “men’s leagues” and not being ready is bollocks. 

I actually can’t believe that Mowbray is so stupid that he hasn’t strengthened the defence. There must be more to it, and I believe that is Venky’s... however his persistence with Bennett over Nyambe is equally ridiculous, so it’s not impossible he’s an idiot.

While Lenihan is the best of a bad bunch, he’s not fantastic. We need a proper out and out no nonsense centre back next to him. Nyambe should hand a transfer request in for his own good. 

All utterly predictable I’m afraid. Seems that the more pessimistic among us might just be realistic instead!

This post sums it up in a nutshell and I don’t believe it’s venkies he’s just to loyal to players that need moving on, Thats why he’s not a winner he believes his role is to create a happy dressing room not a winning mentality. Success requires ruthlessness and in our leader it’s just not there.

• Like 4

We havent won an opening day fixture since this lot bought the.club and started 'running' it from annual Indian board meetings.

It's not rocket science. Waiting for their approval in late May is too late. Need a comprehensive and testing pre season schedule arranging early. Even Mowbray has suggested he wasnt happy with our pre season games this year.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Barnsley started 2 new centre halves today. One signed from Belgium, one from Denmark. One 6’ 2, one 6’ 5, both aged 21. Players are out there, and not signing one to go straight into the first team is gross negligence. All this talk of “men’s leagues” and not being ready is bollocks. 

I actually can’t believe that Mowbray is so stupid that he hasn’t strengthened the defence. There must be more to it, and I believe that is Venky’s... however his persistence with Bennett over Nyambe is equally ridiculous, so it’s not impossible he’s an idiot.

While Lenihan is the best of a bad bunch, he’s not fantastic. We need a proper out and out no nonsense centre back next to him. Nyambe should hand a transfer request in for his own good. 

All utterly predictable I’m afraid. Seems that the more pessimistic among us might just be realistic instead!

Barnsley, like Brentford, are on another level to us in terms of management, strategy and scouting. Limited resources but clued up.

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

Micky mouse pre seasons playing Barrow and Bury trialists whilst rivals are off in Europe playing top division clubs.

It’s a good point and very frustrating. It’s been the same for a few years now. 

• Like 1

My worry in defence is that we can sign two good quality championship players. But our back line looks so uncoordinated, no communication with each other, the set up is just wrong. While I’m certainly not advocating the likes of Mulgrew, Bennett or Bell. A back line like that could have been sufficient against a poor Charlton side but Mowbray doesn’t have the tactical nous. Whoever we sign the defence will look grim cause he can’t organise it. 

Just now, TheWeasel said:

My worry in defence is that we can sign two good quality championship players. But our back line looks so uncoordinated, no communication with each other, the set up is just wrong. While I’m certainly not advocating the likes of Mulgrew, Bennett or Bell. A back line like that could have been sufficient against a poor Charlton side but Mowbray doesn’t have the tactical nous. Whoever we sign the defence will look grim cause he can’t organise it. 

Mulgrew is the main issue. He isn't a great captain. Not vocal, I never see him getting angry. The captain should be dishing out bollockings when things go badly, he drops his head. Lenihan is worse playing with him. 

It's actually ridiculous that he is still captain and starting games. What is Mowbray playing at? I really believed this talk of "new beginnings for every player and that those who perform will get in on merit." Brereton should have started ahead of Gallagher of that is the case. I just don't understand why we signed him if having a good pre season doesn't get him a game A BLOODY SEASON LATER, what's it about?? It looks very apparent that we don't need him and Gallagher. We need proper defenders. If we don't sign at least 1, then Mowbray must either be thick or is toeing some venky red line. Either way, it's bollox. To be 100% honest after seeing the team he picked today, Im starting to think he might be a bit thick. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 2

• Backroom
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

And I do have to add, why is he putting Gallagher on the wing again? The guy is a 6 foot 5 striker. 

It's like putting Peter Crouch there 

Madness 

Striker and Winger are interchangable terms from Mowbray's perspective to be fair. Other than Graham I think literally every striker we've had has played on the wing at some point, usually primarily. Antonsson, Samuel, Brereton, Gallagher, Armstrong... it's seriously bizarre. 

• Like 1

Just now, DE. said:

Striker and Winger are interchangable terms from Mowbray's perspective to be fair. Other than Graham I think literally every striker we've had has played on the wing at some point, usually primarily. Antonsson, Samuel, Brereton, Gallagher, Armstrong... it's seriously bizarre. 

It's crazy. Why doesn't he play Graham there? What's the reason like. I mean Gallagher there is just as bizzare in my opinion. But there is obviously some reason why he won't play graham there... 

2 hours ago, tugayislegend said:

Wigan fan I know rates Walton very highly, to the extent he thinks he may play for England one day. 

Brighton rate him highly as he was not for sale only available on loan!

Funny how those who haven't even seen him play are making judgements.

Suppose that goes both ways. I agree you can't write anyone off after one game (esp if you haven't seen the game!). 

However, as I have repeated endlessly, these match threads are for us to comment on and discuss this particular 90 minutes.

And, just as Gally didn't control the ball, or beat anyone, or score with his one siimple chance, Walton was shaky, and some of his decision making was rash and dangerous. That doesn't mean he won't go on to be England's No 1, it's just a review if his performance today. 

More of a concern: Mowbray's decision to start Downing on the right, and his decision to sabotage our only free-flowing, sweet passing, neat interplaying, attacking, aggressive, skilful, slick passage of play by changing personnel and formation, was nothing short of tactically inept. It was as if he had decided to change it (with the double substutution) at a certain minute regardless of how the game was going. 

Genuinely baffling. At least to me and one or two others.

Also, we continue to recruit relatively well, and although Tony is an improvement on G Bowyer, we still aren't getting the best out of our lesser players, which is essential to ensure season on season progress. This again partly comes down to questionable tactical line-ups, and substitutions. 

We often get away with it at home, but away we are repeatedly exposed, and Tony seems in total denial about the underlying reasons for this.

Ok, that's all off my chest, I live in hope he sees what we saw today and plays Downing on the left, Nyambe at right back, Rothwell instead of Armstrong, etc.

Fingers crossed, keeping the faith, etc, now back to the cricket season, which was rudely interrupted by the frustrating footy.... 

COYB!!!!!

Bennett searching for his name on twitter it seems. Has pulled  a few fans up who were saying he is shite. Coming accross like a bit of a b***h to be honest. He's just saying stuff like "thanks for the positivity". Like obviously the best thing would be to ignore them, but if he really wants to engage, I would expect something a bit more manly than "thanks for the positivity" followed by the thumbs up emoji. 

I think another manager would have shipped him and Mulgrew out this summer. Absolutely no chance they would have started under someone like Warnock  

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 3

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Bennett searching for his name on twitter it seems. Has pulled  a few fans up who were saying he is shite. Coming accross like a bit of a b***h to be honest. He's just saying stuff like "thanks for the positivity". Like obviously the best thing would be to ignore them, but if he wad going to engage I would expect something a bit more manly than "thanks for the positivity" followed by the thumbs up emoji. 

I think another manager woukd have shipped him and Mulgrew out this summer. Absolutely no chance they would have started under someone like Warnock  

Or he could have just responded " thanks, but i'm a midfielder not a right back regardless what Tony thinks"

• Like 2

The manager should be rightfully called out for today's result.  His relentless picking of the wrong team and poor man managing of certain individuals is so frustrating. His decision to not start Rothwell is unforgivable. Our standout performer from the last few games when our form picked up and he's sat on the bench for 70 mins. then bemoans our lack of a clinical cutting edge. Putting Downing on the right, Armstrong on the left. Strange. Benching our player of the season. Not bringing Brereton on when he's finally got some confidence. Persisting with his favourite Bennett over clearly a better defender, Nyambe. Replacing Raya with a keeper no better. Not signing a defender and then the one he does sign isn't ready and probably isn't ready to join the group on the grass for a few weeks. Even if he signs any this week, when wlll we see them? Probably need a few weeks of training. To get up to speed. It is infuriatingly incompetent when you see the dynamism of other managers in this division. And we are stuck with the same old same old sticking by certain players who took us down three seasons ago. It needs to change. But we could be stuck with very few points after five games. Maybe then the penny might drop. 

Play Rothwell Tony. It is the kind of shocking decision that Kean and Coyle would have been rightly ridiculed for. In Kean's case we would Ben more suspicious of such a strange non selection.

• Like 7