BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Charlton

• Backroom
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

It's crazy. Why doesn't he play Graham there? What's the reason like. I mean Gallagher there is just as bizzare in my opinion. But there is obviously some reason why he won't play graham there... 

Two reasons I think. Firstly he's the only proper "target man" striker we've had during his time here, with the possible exception of Gallagher who did start up top today. We played the most long balls in the division last season I believe, might have been joint with Ipswich, but it makes sense to have a target man up there. In fact it's the only way we could make that system work. Secondly I think the link-up between Dack and Graham has been so solid that you can't really seperate them. He tried today and the result was Dack being totally ineffectual. Dack is such an important player for our team that having somebody up top he can link with is, again, crucial to the way we play.

Why he's persisted in bringing strikers to play on the wing I cannot fathom. I think Downing might be the first proper wide man, other than Chapman, that he's brought in to actually play wide. Chapman however is eternally unfit, so, we end up with strikers on the wing again. It's just poor recruitment. I really don't understand what he's trying to do. Brereton will surely end up out on the wing this season again, if and when he plays, as he's got Gallagher, Graham and possibly Dack to get past before he'd be in a position to play as a striker. 

Bennett searching for his name on twitter it seems. Has pulled  a few fans up who were saying he is shite. Coming accross like a bit of a b***h to be honest. He's just saying stuff like "thanks for the positivity". Like obviously the best thing would be to ignore them, but if he really wants to engage, I would expect something a bit more manly than "thanks for the positivity" followed by the thumbs up emoji. 

I think another manager would have shipped him and Mulgrew out this summer. Absolutely no chance they would have started under someone like Warnock  

I think Bennett has been unfairly targeted at times, but not today. He was fucking dreadful. Should just keep his head down and count himself lucky he's one of the manager's favourites, because at most clubs today's performance would see him dropped for a long time. 

• Like 5

Negative

Mulgrew and Bennett must go, Lenihan Very Poor, Bell always half asleep, Gallagher ineffective second half, poor subs, that diagonal pass never works. Boring to watch

On the plus side

Johnson composed on the ball, Travis complemented him well, 1st choice pair for me.

Walton was ok

My ratings

Walton 6

Could do nothing about the goals, and an outstanding save to stop it going to 3-1. Looks to have a mistake in him when he rushed out and the defender had it in the first half

Bell 5

Half a sleep and always needs 3/4 touches, never beats a man cleanly and struggled to put any good balls in to the box.

Lenihan 5

Too many cross field ball that missed the target and too slow.in possession. Zero threat at corners.

Mulgrew 4

Got caught out by the high ball and hardly won an aerial duel. No leadership qualities to pull the team thought. His body language when we conceded was horrible.

Bennett 5

Struggled all afternoon going forward, no idea what to do and failed to get the ball in the box, needs to pick his head up and play the right pass.

JOHNSON 8

MOM used the ball well with some neat touches and turns, picked out some brilliant passes. Dominated midfield,  class above also managed to get in a cheeky nutmeg. Great bullet header for the Goal

Travis 7

Did well to break up play and showed neat footwork at times, works well with Johnson and got forward more than he has previously.

Armstrong 6

Started brightly but held on to the ball far too long on more than one occasion . Plays better cutting in from the left, but his final ball barely beat the first man.

Dack 5

no influence on the ball on a quiet afternoon although I enjoyed him turning Jonny Williams inside out 4 times in one run. Hand injury playing a part I think. 

Downing 7

Neat and tidy on the ball, showed his  passing ability and his awareness with his flicks. Could be a good signing, proved he still has the ability.

Gallagher 5

I feel harsh with this but missed a sitter first half and needed to be more aggressive up against Charlton number 6. So poor second half I forgot he was playing.

Never done this before so please don't slate me. ???????

• Like 9

OK Bennett is calling loads of fans out on Twitter. Accusing lads of "trolling" when they aren't actually trolling, just stating the facts. He had an awful game. 

Not a good look for Benno. 

Some of them are tweets he isn’t even tagged in so he’s obviously searching for his name. One tweet he replied too said “how the fuck is Elliott Bennett a professional footballer” which is probably taking it a tad too far but some are just valid points..  It’s the modern game all this twitter and social media stuff but too be one game into the season and seeing a player arguing with fans on Twitter is not good.. Bennett needs a break from the first team and in particular playing at right back that’s for sure, I wouldn’t mind him coming on for the last 10 or 15 in midfield too chase about and see out a win (if we are in a winning position anytime soon) but that’s it. What a bad start too the season all round. 

• Like 3

Said it before and will say it again, Mowbray's time is up here. Admitted the defence isn't up to it last season and then spunks his budget on another shit striker to add to Armstrong and Brereton. Refuses to play his one spark in Rothwell yet sticks by shite like Bennett.

The club cannot and will not progress under him now and I fear we will be in serious trouble if he's allowed until the clocks go back.

• Like 9

Just now, iSeeRed said:

Elliot bennett is a disgrace, if people still fall for his twitter nice guy facade after tonight they are braindead.

Ya, he's coming across very badly. It's bad form. I wonder if one of the young lads was on twitter fighting with fans what would Mowbray do. Seems different rules for different players. 

Just now, Butty said:

Some of them are tweets he isn’t even tagged in so he’s obviously searching for his name. One tweet he replied too said “how the fuck is Elliott Bennett a professional footballer” which is probably taking it a tad too far but some are just valid points..  It’s the modern game all this twitter and social media stuff but too be one game into the season and seeing a player arguing with fans on Twitter is not good.. Bennett needs a break from the first team and in particular playing at right back that’s for sure, I wouldn’t mind him coming on for the last 10 or 15 in midfield too chase about and see out a win (if we are in a winning position anytime soon) but that’s it. What a bad start too the season all round. 

No, they are pretty harmless tweets to be fair. The only response he should be giving is "ya, I did play shite and I'm going strive to do better". What he is doing is very childish. 

• Like 2

Good job the root cause of Midfielder Elliot Bennett's displays at right back is not on twitter eh !

Just had a look at the tweets and it is not Bennett who is coming out of it badly, he is being very restrained 

Edited by perthblue02
  • Like 1

Ya, he's coming across very badly. It's bad form. I wonder if one of the young lads was on twitter fighting with fans what would Mowbray do. Seems different rules for different players. 

No, they are pretty harmless tweets to be fair. The only response he should be giving is "ya, I did play shite and I'm going strive to do better". What he is doing is very childish. 

He’s not handled it well at all. If I was him after his performance today I’d have stayed off social media for a while... It’s annoying me though, Bell Bennett Smallwood Williams Mulgrew Evans Leutweiler Samuel are all players taking up wages and squad numbers and are all players we should have got rid of this summer and replaced. Dead fucking wood. Three of them started the game today though. Long season ahead. I’m too pissed too care right now though, depressing day☹️

Edited by Butty
  • Like 5

Just now, perthblue02 said:

Just had a look at the tweets and it is not Bennett who is coming out of it badly, he is being very restrained 

Bollocks. He will make millions of pounds during his career as a professional footballer, that money comes from supporters pockets via ticket sales and TV money. People passing an opinion on their performance is par for the course. I can’t log in to twitter without seeing someone in the public eye being criticised. Imagine an actor having a tantrum if someone said they didn’t like their performance in a film. Should Donald Trump or Boris Johnson be off limits?

Bennett has acted like an absolute child. If he can’t handle it he should find another profession or at least stay off bloody twitter. The sycophants telling him how great he is and slating the fans are just as bad. Nothing said to Bennett on there has been what any right minded person could consider too far.

• Like 3

Just now, LDRover said:

Said it before and will say it again, Mowbray's time is up here. Admitted the defence isn't up to it last season and then spunks his budget on another shit striker to add to Armstrong and Brereton. Refuses to play his one spark in Rothwell yet sticks by shite like Bennett.

The club cannot and will not progress under him now and I fear we will be in serious trouble if he's allowed until the clocks go back.

Spot on.

I thought it was obvious he needed to go in February in order to give a new man time to assess the squad and clear out all the deadwood in summer.

However that didn't happen so having kept him and allowed him to spend more money and bring in various players I suppose you have to give him at least ten games to see if he can make things click.

16 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Bollocks. He will make millions of pounds during his career as a professional footballer, that money comes from supporters pockets via ticket sales and TV money. People passing an opinion on their performance is par for the course. I can’t log in to twitter without seeing someone in the public eye being criticised. Imagine an actor having a tantrum if someone said they didn’t like their performance in a film. Should Donald Trump or Boris Johnson be off limits?

Bennett has acted like an absolute child. If he can’t handle it he should find another profession or at least stay off bloody twitter. The sycophants telling him how great he is and slating the fans are just as bad. Nothing said to Bennett on there has been what any right minded person could consider too far.

Does not look to me like he his having a tantrum he is responding to the criticism as he responds to any positive tweets he gets. Surely he has the right to reply?

Now if he responded to some of the criticism with for example "that F****** xxxxxxxx didn't sing once at the game , what a S*** supporter, what a waste of oxygen" he would look bad.

To be honest I don't follow any of the players and apart from sponorship don't really know why players don't set their accounts to private

For those missing the  tweets from Bennett here they are 

https://twitter.com/Ebenno88/with_replies

Edited by perthblue02

Having let the beer wear off and let the result sink in, my thoughts; the good the bad and the ugly:

Good:

• Johnson looked the part, the polar opposite to all the dross we've had in CM since N'Zonzi left. He won balls in the air, he can pass, he was commanding. A professional CM at last.
  • We dominated the ball well and played with pace. In the first half we got the ball forward quickly, on the deck and got into good positions consistently. Last season (and basically every season since Bowyer) we've either been able to control the game slowly around the back four without ever looking threatening or hoofed it up to someone and got a break of the ball occasionally. This was different and much more accomplished football.
  • I didn't feel anywhere near as nervous when Walton had the ball at his feet compared to when Raya did.
  • Downing decent, Walton ok, Gallagher was a handful.

Bad

• We can't defend balls into the box. It's either Mulgrew is that bad or they just aren't being coached properly. If the players are out of position when the ball is about to come into the box, then it's poor play. If they're in place and still can't defend it then it's just bad coaching. We know what players we have, we know what players they have, there are a finite amount of places you can cross from, we have to have a plan for what our defence needs to be doing to defend it. If that isn't working (and it hasn't for 2 seasons) then the plan, the coaching, is wrong.

Ugly

• What was that formation we switched to when Graham and Rothwell came on? We went from dominating, looking like we were the only team remotely likely to win the game - to 10 mins later being behind and not looking like equalising. We created absolutely nothing after going behind. As soon as they scored their second, we'd lost.
  • I forgot Dack was on the pitch after the 80th minute. Couldn't tell you where he was playing, had to check the BBC site to see if it was him that went off for Buckey.
  • Like 5

Urgh... 

So frustrating.

Positive: We dominated the majority of the match and if we’d clicked around the box we’d have got a bag full.  We will play worse than this and take 3 points.

Travis and Johnson looked good.

Plenty of other surprise results today, hopefully 1st match upsets, not a trend!

Negative: Gallagher an average target man on the wing, yet another panic buy f ok Mowbray.  A wobbler for Walton. We still can’t defend for toffee.

Lets hope we quickly bounce back, we could and should.

Edited by JPTSwindon

Day 1 same shit different season.  When will Tony ever learn? We all love Mulgrew and Bennett, but we are only hurting ourselves by playing these friendly faces. Bench them gaffa and bring in some players who are in their prime and are recognized defenders.  Can we hope these areas are addresses rapidly before we take on the big boys? Could be a nasty month otherwise.

Big thanks to Ian Herbert and Lewis Stubbs who this week game me their opinion both before and after kick off. Plus the gaffa and his harsh analysis...

Downing should have been at left back and Rothwell left wing. Nyambe should have started for Mulgrew, and Rankin Costello should be given the nod at right back. Brereton should have started for Gallagher. That’s if we are going off preseason/end of season form. 

Charlton parked the bus, and absolutely schooled us in shithousery. They pretty much spent 3mins in our half, the entire second half. 

Controversial : Will be chuffed if someone panics and goes balisitc and offers 12m+ for Dack before Thursday. Apart from a couple of flashes, it was like playing with 10men for most of the game. For all the ball we had, he barely got involved. And we have to play this putrid formation around him, it’s not worth it. Both Lenihan and Dack have gotten away scot free today, arguably our two star players. Dack was useless and Lenihan got beat for the second goal, and his distribution was shocking. 

What can you say about Mulgrew and Bennett that hasn’t been said on here already. Mulgrew has had it, and he knows it too, he is now nervous and adapting himself to not making major blunders. Bennett has been an imposter for me for years. This surely must be the end. I have seen him play well maybe twice in the 3 years, and both times was at centre midfield. Don’t wish him ill will and he has been a good servant, but he isn’t good enough for a decent championship side.

I really wished we had spent the entire summer working on the 3-5-2 formation. With Johnson and the young lads all experienced playing it, I thought I was a foregone conclusion. The problem is we had no centre half’s.

—Tosin-Anton*-Lenihan—

JRC——————Downing

——Travis —Johnson——

——--Rothwell—————

—-Brereton Gallagher——

*Anton is the boy we are tracking from Hannover

Edited by Fraserkirky
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

OK Bennett is calling loads of fans out on Twitter. Accusing lads of "trolling" when they aren't actually trolling, just stating the facts. He had an awful game. 

Not a good look for Benno. 

The guy there is a regular at home/away games as well as development games. He has spoken to Bennett in person at club events - to the point that even Bennett knows his name. I know him by sight and name and have had a couple of very casual conversations with him.

It’s one thing us anonymous folk being critical (within reason), it probably felt more personal. He also said a family member showed it to him.

Still, players should not get involved in social media arguments. However, annoying it is, they need to switch off and ignore.

Personally I like Bennett. I wish everyone played with his passion. It’s not his fault he is being played at full back. The question is, if Mowbray doesn’t rate Nyambe why hasn’t he bought a new one. He’s turning into a stubborn old man, surrounded by his mates (including above him). I wonder what influence DJ will be able to have in that environment.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Miller11 said:

Can't imagine who that is ?