BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Charlton

I called Bennett out on Twitter after a shocking performance last season and he searched for a tweet from like a year ago when I said he'd played well and retweeted it the oddball.

I've calmed down a bit after yesterday, refrained from posting after the game or I'd have got banned again ?

Charlton are such a shithouse team, it was like watching 11 Lee Bowyers playing. No wonder they celebrated like they'd won the world cup, they know they got very lucky indeed.

Doesn't change the fact we were piss poor though.

It may be a godsend in a way, if it makes him realise Bennett is absolutely shite as a full back or that Mulgrew is the biggest ball watcher in world football, wont hold my breath though. 

On a plus side the fan zone was great, hats off to the club on that 

• Like 1

Bennett obviously went searching for tweets about himself because he’ll have known he was bloody awful.

Seasons often start with players given a chance too many and they quickly disappear from the side, I’m thinking all the way back to the days of Dominic Matteo et al.

So normal circumstances that would be it for the likes of Mulgrew and Bennett, alas I doubt it this time, TM just isn’t the ruthless type. 

He's apologised in fairness now and said a family member alerted him to the tweet, sounds like nonsense but hey ho.

As he's pointed out though, he will play for the club in any position the manager asks him to, not really his fault the manager is playing him in a position he's useless in!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

As I said it's the manager's choice who he signs.  If you believe you can influence his decision - great, please tell him to get an experienced centre-back.

Ultimately, manager's who get the majority of decisions wrong get the sack.  That's the one constant in football.  Mowbray is no different from any other manager in that regard.

After almost sixty years of supporting Rovers I can now, finally, take results in my stride without getting too carried away with a string of wins or too depressed with a run of defeats. 

If Rover had thousands like you we'd be OK. But we don't. Some/most want to be entertained for their money.

Just now, davulsukur said:

Just opened Twitter and this was at the top.

20190804_075943.jpg

That posts is exactly why I’m sick to death of so called “fans” or “experts” with their throw away faceless criticisms. Well hard.

• Like 1

Another one;

And for all the “I pay good money I get an opinion” responses, it’s not hard to see why (someone as hard working as EB) might react badly.

Performance is one thing, questioning his character? We ever had a rovers player work hard as Bennett? Or engage with the fans, or seemingly love the club?

If this Nyambe argument was as black and white as many perceive - I’m sure TM, Johnson et al would’ve started him.

I’ve seen nobody mention that Nyambe might be a better defender, but he ain’t going to improve us going forward as an advanced full back - he’s simply not good enough technically.  Especially considering this is a team now trying to keep the ball!

Just now, Harry The Bass said:

That posts is exactly why I’m sick to death of so called “fans” or “experts” with their throw away faceless criticisms. Well hard.

I know, for sure,but all Bennett did is just draw attention to it. The guy had one like before that. He should let his football do the talking. 

Another one;

And for all the “I pay good money I get an opinion” responses, it’s not hard to see why (someone as hard working as EB) might react badly.

Performance is one thing, questioning his character? We ever had a rovers player work hard as Bennett? Or engage with the fans, or seemingly love the club?

If this Nyambe argument was as black and white as many perceive - I’m sure TM, Johnson et al would’ve started him.

I’ve seen nobody mention that Nyambe might be a better defender, but he ain’t going to improve us going forward as an advanced full back - he’s simply not good enough technically.  Especially considering this is a team now trying to keep the ball!

I don't think Bennett is that technically better than Nyambe though. I can understand Downing playing left back instead of bell, because he is undoubtedly technically superior. Mowbray has Bennett in becuase he likes him and sees something in him a lot of people don't. He is killing Bennett by playing him there. Case in point, one of the most liked players is now fighting with fans on twitter on the opening day. It's so avoidable. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 5

Lots to improve upon but also some decent things too, it’s not a case of scrap it all and start again.

Goals - Downing is covering and let’s his man go, he’s the free to tap in. Walton probably should’ve come for it but will have been anticipating the two defenders and attackers it went over to maybe get a touch.

Lenihan should’ve won his head but Travis just lets his man go to again tap in. 

So so whilst the defence was generally poor yesterday, that was actually more in an attacking/ in possession sense, Bennett gave the ball away across his box a couple of times and this highlighted him, Bell needs to be more single minded when in possession, when he slows it down he takes too long to decide what to do and often loses it. Whilst I absolutely think we could improve upon these two positions and I also think the centre half pairing struggled last season, we wouldn’t have conceded but for two midfielders not doing the basics.

Mowbray - had those two done their jobs we’d be debating this much less but for me Gallagher looked quite a way off th pace, would’ve liked to see him go off rather than Armstrong and pity Brereton didn’t get a sniff having been good in pr season, however his strengths do not lay in his back to goal and with Charlton being so deep I can see why he didn’t come on. Buckley was brought on to quicken up transitions as Travis needs to work on this, Rothwell was the right move, as was Graham. Whilst the formation generally worked well I think having Downing so deep and narrow can mean the opposition can solely focus on Armstrong and mark him out of it, relies heavily on pinpoint balls over hit full backs’ head and Armstrong having a perfect first touch. 

The result in isolation is what it is, the problem is with 4 tough games coming up it puts more pressure on them, however those teams won’t sit back against us and I think that is when we’ll come in to our own. I do worry speed in which we can transition into defence though, we still seem slow to turn and through the middle of the park I fear we will be exposed on the counter.

• Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I don't think Bennett is that technically better than Nyambe though. I can understand Downing playing left back I stead of bell, because he is undoubtedly technically superior. Mowbray has Bennett in becuase he likes him and sees something in him a lot of people don't. He is killing Bennett by playing him there. Case in point, one of the most liked players is now fighting with fans on twitter on the opening day. It's so avoidable. 

It’s subjective but on technical ability I disagree - Bennett is a converted wide player. Nyambe is a defender. There are pro’s and con’s to both.

I think it’s simple - they’re both one side of the two sided footballer we need. Same will Bell and Del for left back.

On the subject of Amari - I think he’s technically decent and at times goes past players, but I’ve never seen a player lack urgency like him in 27 years of watching football.

• Like 1

Just now, Mattyblue said:

I recognise that Chris Martin fella. Goes everywhere following the team, spending thousands presumably. 

That is fairly mild criticism to me. You need a thicker skin as a footballer, surely?

There’s worse things you can say, but I guess it shows the pride of the player to react to a character jibe - cares a lot about his perception obviously. I think he deserves better treatment.

Just now, 47er said:

If Rover had thousands like you we'd be OK. But we don't. Some/most want to be entertained for their money.

The solution for you is simple 47er.  If you don't find watching Rovers entertaining find something that does entertain you.  You've followed Rovers long enough to know that we have good times, bad times and pretty mediocre times.  At the moment it's pretty mediocre but we continue to follow the club because we are supporters - it's why supporters of Bolton and Notts County etc are still supporting about their clubs despite some pretty dire years in recent times.  There are thousands who have walked away from Ewood and will probably only return when Premier League is on offer.  Personally, I think the Championship is pretty exciting but the quality of the football at times is not the best and full of mistakes that better players wouldn't make - perhaps that's what makes the Championship what it is in that any team is capable of beating any other team.

Until Mowbray made the substitutions yesterday I couldn't see us not winning that game.  The substitutions completely changed the game and for that the manager must take the blame.

I understand why the manager wants Bennett in the team but he is not a right-back and is doing the lad no favours by playing him there. 

As for twitter etc.  I really can't understand why any player would want to get involved in social media looking at some of the nonsense that is put on there.

• Like 8

It’s subjective but on technical ability I disagree - Bennett is a converted wide player. Nyambe is a defender. There are pro’s and con’s to both.

I think it’s simple - they’re both one side of the two sided footballer we need. Same will Bell and Del for left back.

On the subject of Amari - I think he’s technically decent and at times goes past players, but I’ve never seen a player lack urgency like him in 27 years of watching football.

Bell looks good coming forward but there is rarely any end product. He has no positional sense at all, even looking for a short pass from a fellow defender he invariably gores the wrong way! When he is in a good position to pass or cross, he delays until either the player is covered or he is. At that point he plays it back 5 yards.

Defensively he's woeful.

We've been waiting a while for him to improve and I don't believe its going to happen. He's a League 1 player as are several of his team-mates.

Just now, Parsonblue said:

The solution for you is simple 47er.  If you don't find watching Rovers entertaining find something that does entertain you.  You've followed Rovers long enough to know that we have good times, bad times and pretty mediocre times.  At the moment it's pretty mediocre but we continue to follow the club because we are supporters - it's why supporters of Bolton and Notts County etc are still supporting about their clubs despite some pretty dire years in recent times.  There are thousands who have walked away from Ewood and will probably only return when Premier League is on offer.  Personally, I think the Championship is pretty exciting but the quality of the football at times is not the best and full of mistakes that better players wouldn't make - perhaps that's what makes the Championship what it is in that any team is capable of beating any other team.

Until Mowbray made the substitutions yesterday I couldn't see us not winning that game.  The substitutions completely changed the game and for that the manager must take the blame.

I understand why the manager wants Bennett in the team but he is not a right-back and is doing the lad no favours by playing him there. 

As for twitter etc.  I really can't understand why any player would want to get involved in social media looking at some of the nonsense that is put on there.

I know you'll be the last man standing PB----and you'll still enjoy it!

Just now, 47er said:

Bell looks good coming forward but there is rarely any end product. He has no positional sense at all, even looking for a short pass from a fellow defender he invariably gores the wrong way! When he is in a good position to pass or cross, he delays until either the player is covered or he is. At that point he plays it back 5 yards.

Defensively he's woeful.

We've been waiting a while for him to improve and I don't believe its going to happen. He's a League 1 player as are several of his team-mates.

I'm inclined to agree on Bell, he looks like a nervous wreck all game and I'd have no confidence spraying a pass out wide to him at all.

Being critical of the players is right in my opinion as several were poor yesterday but they are professional footballers who are picked to play a certain way in certain positions. For me it's the man who picks them and puts them in positions where they simply aren't good enough who should get far more criticism than he does. I said last season that Mowbray has taken us as far as he can i.e. mid/lower Championship. His stubbornness is so frustrating. Three of yesterday's back four were here when he came in - that says it all to me.

In my book he gets away with it from far too many because he got us promoted and helped stabilise the club. To push on he has to realise his and his players shortcomings and address them immediately.

• Like 4

Just now, arbitro said:

In my book he gets away with it from far too many because he got us promoted and helped stabilise the club. To push on he has to realise his and his players shortcomings and address them immediately.

The way this is washed over as a simple achievement after Coyle and with our owners is hard to read.

• Like 3

The way this is washed over as a simple achievement after Coyle and with our owners is hard to read.

Maybe but its looking like this was the peak of his achievement and he can't take us any farther.

Disappointted about the result but I wont let it get me down or sploit my weekend. 

I was encouraged by parts of our play but as soon as Armstrong and Downing went off we stop playing the short passing, high pressing game that got us back into the game. Bring on Graham was the wrong tactic and Dack should have been sub not Armstrong. Dack wasnt in the game. 

Not going over the goals we conceded cos it been covered by the rest of you. 

Very impressed by Johnson in midfield. 

But 4 fancied teams for top 2/promotion also lost so that is slight positive

• Like 1