Jump to content
Neal

Rovers v Charlton

Recommended Posts

Just now, Harry The Bass said:

The way this is washed over as a simple achievement after Coyle and with our owners is hard to read.

I did fear we would be down there for a while and spare the thought, wondered if we would drop even further. After the ridiculous appointment of Coyle I guess the only way was up and thankfully we have moved in the right direction. Understandably fans now want success in this division and a return to the top flight, so Mowbray's credit has now run out with most people and he is about to feel a real backlash, unless the next 5 games, show an improvement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a lot I can add that already hasn’t been said.

johnson looks a great signing. It became so obvious how desperate and lacking we have been in that area yesterday after his display. Strong , commanding, composed, wins tackles and headers and provides a goal threat. Johnson and travis looks like a promising midfield pairing. 

I thought Armstrong did well, always wanted and showed for the ball, skinned his man but failed with the delivery, why, because he isn’t a winger and never will be one. 

I cant defend bennet or mulgrew but for me bell was by far the worst of the lot. He has a lack of awareness which kills attacks, he slows the game down far to much and constantly looks caught in two minds. That’s before you can criticise him for everything Bennett did I.e giving the ball away etc.

bell has been with us long enough to have started improving. Nyambe had all the same problems at the start and took a while but ended up improving before being thrown into the wilderness for a reason I will never understand. Bell doesn’t seem to be improving and he needs to, fast. Sadly we have no other options at left back other than playing a 35 yr old winger. Is that the answer ? Well it may have to be

if Walton and/or Lenihan get injured we are in serious trouble. It’s no good having all this attacking talent on the pitch with there hands on there hips watching the ball being picked out of our net.

again at home hardly any shots or much to get excited by, some decent build up that fizzles out with no end product. When the better teams come we are going to get outplayed and concede for fun.

forget a top half finish, it isn’t going to happen. As predicted it’s going to be an identical season to last year , ups , downs but mainly frustration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Harry The Bass said:

After 1 game in a season?

No---and you are being deliberately obtuse. Post after post has told you its not about this one game. This is a continuing theme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

The solution for you is simple 47er.  If you don't find watching Rovers entertaining find something that does entertain you.

I think I'll stay and continue to argue for better if its alright with you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Harry The Bass said:

There’s worse things you can say, but I guess it shows the pride of the player to react to a character jibe - cares a lot about his perception obviously. I think he deserves better treatment.

Where's the character jibe in the second tweet? He actually kind of praises his character at the end, but simply says he isnt good enough. I dont think theres anything wrong with that tweet.

Your basically saying that you shouldnt give your opinion on your.own personal twitter at all unless its positive. 

If Bennett is searching his name on twitter for abuse, he probably reads this board too. In which case, Elliot you are an ok midfielder who can also cover wide but you are bobbins as a full back. 

Edited by Hasta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hasta said:

 

Your basically saying that you shouldnt give your opinion on your.own personal twitter at all unless its positive.

I’m not at all. “What does he bring to the team” besides 3 fairly back handed compliments? I think that’s a bit unfair - it’s not even relevant to his actual performance 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Harry The Bass said:

I’m not at all. “What does he bring to the team” besides 3 fairly back handed compliments? I think that’s a bit unfair - it’s not even relevant to his actual performance 

Admittedly he should have said "What does he bring to this team at full back", but its a very good.question.

I think Nyambe is as good going forward and better defensively. So other than energy and working hard, what does he bring at full back?

The first tweet is a definite jibe and ive no issue with Bennet responding, but the second one he's on dodgy ground calling that lad out as hes asking a genuine question we all asked in the pub after the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ossydave said:

Charlton are such a shithouse team, it was like watching 11 Lee Bowyers playing. No wonder they celebrated like they'd won the world cup, they know they got very lucky indeed.

Fair play to them. It's what we SHOULD be doing instead of being walkovers.

Case in point - Downing had the chance to pull down the Charlton lad in the run-up to the first goal and take a yellow card for the team. He didn't do it, they scored. In the second half, someone (Dack? Travis? Can't remember) was threatening a breakaway. The Charlton player pulled him down, received a yellow card on behalf of his side and the team regrouped. 

We need a bit more shithousery in blue-and-white shirts, that's for sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 47er said:

I know you'll be the last man standing PB----and you'll still enjoy it!

I'm sure you be there alongside me still supporting the only club we could both only ever support!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 47er said:

Bell looks good coming forward but there is rarely any end product. He has no positional sense at all, even looking for a short pass from a fellow defender he invariably gores the wrong way! When he is in a good position to pass or cross, he delays until either the player is covered or he is. At that point he plays it back 5 yards.

Defensively he's woeful.

We've been waiting a while for him to improve and I don't believe its going to happen. He's a League 1 player as are several of his team-mates.

Finally something we both agree on - Bell needs replacing.  Agree that defensively he is all over the place and for all his pace going forward he rarely delivers a dangerous ball and seems to lack the confidence to take people on at times.  Good League One player, as you say, but at this level and if we want to go forward we need better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Harry The Bass said:

If this Nyambe argument was as black and white as many perceive - I’m sure TM, Johnson et al would’ve started him.

I’ve seen nobody mention that Nyambe might be a better defender, but he ain’t going to improve us going forward as an advanced full back - he’s simply not good enough technically.  Especially considering this is a team now trying to keep the ball!

To be honest, it doesn't even really matter. Mowbray is making a rod for his own back as Nyambe won't be worse than Bennett. Even if he doesn't work at RB then it won't cost us anything as Bennett isn't working, but at least the fans will see that he has noticed the situation and is TRYING to rectify it.

As it stands, it looks like he either doesn't know there is a problem or doesn't want to try to find a solution. Or both. 

He must know how much the fans want to see Rothwell starting. So then, he doesn't start him. Whenever Ben shows promise, he's on the bench.

If you keep making decisions which the fans are going to be annoyed about, you at least get some of them right once in a blue moon. It hasn't happened for a while though and that's what's bringing extra pressure on Mowbray. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Parsonblue said:

Finally something we both agree on - Bell needs replacing.  Agree that defensively he is all over the place and for all his pace going forward he rarely delivers a dangerous ball and seems to lack the confidence to take people on at times.  Good League One player, as you say, but at this level and if we want to go forward we need better.

I'm sure there's lots more things we could agree on if you tried harder!  :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RoverAbroad said:

To be honest, it doesn't even really matter. Mowbray is making a rod for his own back as Nyambe won't be worse than Bennett. Even if he doesn't work at RB then it won't cost us anything as Bennett isn't working, but at least the fans will see that he has noticed the situation and is TRYING to rectify it.

As it stands, it looks like he either doesn't know there is a problem or doesn't want to try to find a solution. Or both. 

He must know how much the fans want to see Rothwell starting. So then, he doesn't start him. Whenever Ben shows promise, he's on the bench.

If you keep making decisions which the fans are going to be annoyed about, you at least get some of them right once in a blue moon. It hasn't happened for a while though and that's what's bringing extra pressure on Mowbray. 

I’d hope TM makes his decision based on what he and his staff see, not his perception of what the fans want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ossydave said:

He's apologised in fairness now and said a family member alerted him to the tweet, sounds like nonsense but hey ho.

As he's pointed out though, he will play for the club in any position the manager asks him to, not really his fault the manager is playing him in a position he's useless in!

I doubt if it has ever happened ,or if it will ever happen . But if Bennet has the Rovers at heart, he should perhaps say to Tony Mowbray, I am not at ease at full back and if I was to be dropped for the good of the team, so be it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Firstly I must admit I didn't go yesterday as Garstang Show was on. Any point I make might get countered by: "In the ...th minute, they did this...". It does seem though that the pattern all through pre-season which everyone, including Mowbray, could see carried on into the proper stuff.

1. Certain players really slow our play down. Bell and Mulgrew stood out in this for me against Bury and Blackpool.

2. The ONLY player capable of breaking past players and disrupting the opposition's shape is Rothwell. Without him they are able to sit in banks relatively easily.

3. Dack has seemingly lost himself somewhere in midfield.

4. Playing strikers on the wings in folly. They're not in a place to score (the thing they're supposedly best at), they can't cross as well as proper widemen and, MOST IMPORTANTLY FOR US, they are inexperienced at helping out full backs. This also means that full backs will hesitate to bomb on as they know the winger isn't able to cover them if they're left high up the pitch in a counter attack.

5. Point 4 would matter a little less if a decent full back was played. No-one has ever argued that Bennett is better than Nyambe. As far as I know, Mowbray hasn't ever claimed this either. WHY IS HE PLAYING?!

Edited by Riverside under the drip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sponsor
34 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Not a lot I can add that already hasn’t been said.

johnson looks a great signing. It became so obvious how desperate and lacking we have been in that area yesterday after his display. Strong , commanding, composed, wins tackles and headers and provides a goal threat. Johnson and travis looks like a promising midfield pairing. 

I thought Armstrong did well, always wanted and showed for the ball, skinned his man but failed with the delivery, why, because he isn’t a winger and never will be one. 

I cant defend bennet or mulgrew but for me bell was by far the worst of the lot. He has a lack of awareness which kills attacks, he slows the game down far to much and constantly looks caught in two minds. That’s before you can criticise him for everything Bennett did I.e giving the ball away etc.

bell has been with us long enough to have started improving. Nyambe had all the same problems at the start and took a while but ended up improving before being thrown into the wilderness for a reason I will never understand. Bell doesn’t seem to be improving and he needs to, fast. Sadly we have no other options at left back other than playing a 35 yr old winger. Is that the answer ? Well it may have to be

if Walton and/or Lenihan get injured we are in serious trouble. It’s no good having all this attacking talent on the pitch with there hands on there hips watching the ball being picked out of our net.

again at home hardly any shots or much to get excited by, some decent build up that fizzles out with no end product. When the better teams come we are going to get outplayed and concede for fun.

forget a top half finish, it isn’t going to happen. As predicted it’s going to be an identical season to last year , ups , downs but mainly frustration.

Nyambe's probably been chucked into the wilderness because he's a homegrown kid but Bell keeps getting a pass because Mowbray bought him after a chase and paid money probably under the young potential sell on mantra so he has to be justified imo.   He did the same with Samuel and will do again if he gets fit probably and i don't think it would surprise anyone to see him bench Travis as soon as he gets chance.

Good points about Nyambe he was raw but has shown signs of improvement and was ok when he pulled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Harry The Bass said:

I’d hope TM makes his decision based on what he and his staff see, not his perception of what the fans want.

Agreed, for sure, but he seems to have a worrying blind spot  for reverse reasons with regatds Bennett at right back and Rothwell starting. 

The Rothwell stuff is what is really annoying me, followed by not even giving Brereton a run yesterday. How can he not start Rothwell after what we saw of him last season? Then the treatment of Brereton is one thing, but the fact now is we spent £6 million on him, gave him a year to settle in, he hs a good pre-season and he still doesn't play him. Buckley came on, which is great, but why spend that money on Brereton with the defence as it is? It's worrying. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RoverAbroad said:

Fair play to them. It's what we SHOULD be doing instead of being walkovers.

Case in point - Downing had the chance to pull down the Charlton lad in the run-up to the first goal and take a yellow card for the team. He didn't do it, they scored. In the second half, someone (Dack? Travis? Can't remember) was threatening a breakaway. The Charlton player pulled him down, received a yellow card on behalf of his side and the team regrouped. 

We need a bit more shithousery in blue-and-white shirts, that's for sure. 

We revelled in it back in the day. The bully boys. You might not like how we play, but good luck taking any points from us, especially at Ewood. This lot wouldn't say boo to a goose. A side very much built in the image of the manager. Nice lads, but other than possibly Johnson not a leader amongst them. 

Edited by DE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Harry The Bass said:

I’d hope TM makes his decision based on what he and his staff see, not his perception of what the fans want.

Seeing as we've managed less than a point a league game over the past half a year or so, perhaps he could do with signing up for a BRFCS account!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, laughatthedingles said:

Fingers crossed this gives him the gentle reminder he needed that our defence has not magically improved. Need 2 full backs urgently!

there was nothing gentle about that defensive performance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Parsonblue said:

Finally something we both agree on - Bell needs replacing.  Agree that defensively he is all over the place and for all his pace going forward he rarely delivers a dangerous ball and seems to lack the confidence to take people on at times.  Good League One player, as you say, but at this level and if we want to go forward we need better.

In a nutshell, Bell is shit.  He doesn't get close enough to his man and the time it takes him to figure out what to do, the damage gets done. He also does that pub league jump and turn in the air to half-heartedly block the ball.  I'm more of a Stephen Warnock, smash into to them early so they know what they'll get for 90mins - kind of fan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Pedro said:

In a nutshell, Bell is shit.  He doesn't get close enough to his man and the time it takes him to figure out what to do, the damage gets done. He also does that pub league jump and turn in the air to half-heartedly block the ball.  I'm more of a Stephen Warnock, smash into to them early so they know what they'll get for 90mins - kind of fan. 

Yeap. He almost looks scared of what's around him. Not strong enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, garnersfags said:

 

More of a concern: Mowbray's decision to start Downing on the right, and his decision to sabotage our only free-flowing, sweet passing, neat interplaying, attacking, aggressive, skilful, slick passage of play by changing personnel and formation, was nothing short of tactically inept. It was as if he had decided to change it (with the double substutution) at a certain minute regardless of how the game was going. 

 

 

Think you are spot on with this. Gallagher and Charltons no 6 Pearce were having a running battle with Pearce becoming more and more irritated nailed on for a booking at least Gallagher gets moved away. Problem over for Pearce. Think DE made a very valid point about the link up between Dack and Graham that with Gallagher was none existent which is not surprising considering he has just arrived. Gallagher has a first touch worse than Mike Newell totally pointless playing him wide right.

For all the valid criticism of Bell he did play a peach of a daisy cutter cross across the six yard box in the second half but no one gambled on getting on the end of it.

Baffling substitution by Mowbray particularly removing Travis for Buckley which again has a sniff of predetermined about it.

Booed off at half and full time. Seasoned posters on here growing in numbers believe his time is up 4 days left to sign a brute of a centre half. Suspect I may be changing my vote in the poll on TM come the 8th

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, aletheia said:

Garnersfags/JH Rover –perceptive and spot on.

 

Just a few things other than the mountains of posts which rightly bemoan the obvious defensive efforts.

 

-Did their keeper make a save in the first half despite our more or less total control of the game?

 

 

No he didn't and I said the exact same thing to my mate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.