BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Charlton

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Disagree. Whatever occurred subsequently, the whole move stemmed from Bennett giving the ball away.

He doesn't do that, Charlton don't score.

Thank God for that! I thought I was imagining it all for a minute! Bennett needlessly gave the ball away and they scored.

Whether someone else  could have heroically saved us is speculation but the odds were against it. He stuffed up.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tonygreenbank said:

I don`t know if anyone has mentioned this already but we`ve not won our opening game for the last 9 seasons which is some achievement! 4 of those were home defeats! That is why I agree with posters like Parsonblue that over the years you have to be fairly sanguine when following our team; you hope for something better next time.

I disagreed with Parson when he said similar last night and I disagree now.

Surely if you don't care whether we win lose or draw, it's time to give up and get your enjoyment going down the Pub instead?

That stat you cite above should be enough on its own to have supporters hopping up and down and foaming at the mouth. It tends to confirm the view of many that our pre season schedules tend to be a bit of a joke and we go into every new season severely undercooked.

By way of contrast I heard a stat yesterday that Paul Cook has never lost an opening day game winning eight and losing one I think. Obviously he is doing something right in terms of preparation and we are not.

I know we're not Manchester City these days but there's no excuse for me for not being the best we can possibly  be in terms of preparation. That also extends to getting new players in early, allowing them time to gel so we can hit the ground running from day one.

No doubt if we do sign anyone this week then the complaint will be they need time to bed in by which time 15 points or more could have gone by the wayside.

I detest us losing, or even drawing a game at home. I'm never completely happy unless we're averaging two points a game. Even if that isn't feasible you can always do slightly better which is why it's so galling to see the manager fritter our chances away by playing players out of position, favouring certain players who are either past it or who were never any good in the first place or both, and fail to address areas that clearly need strengthening.

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, 47er said:

FFS! Read that again! No way does that make sense.

FFS! I don't need to read it again, I wrote it. Thanks for your concern. If you don't understand it, feel free to ask me to explain more clearly for you.

Edit - your other posts seem to agree with me that Bennett is the main culprit by the way, so I'm not sure what you're arguing about. Maybe I've not come across clearly enough on that in this single post.

Edited by bluebruce

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Surely if you don't care whether we win lose or draw, it's time to give up and get your enjoyment going down the Pub instead?

That stat you cite above should be enough on its own to have supporters hopping up and down and foaming at the mouth. It tends to confirm the view of many that our pre season schedules tend to be a bit of a joke and we go into every new season severely undercooked.

By way of contrast I heard a stat yesterday that Paul Cook has never lost an opening day game winning eight and losing one I think. Obviously he is doing something right in terms of preparation and we are not.

I know we're not Manchester City these days but there's no excuse for me for not being the best we can possibly  be in terms of preparation. That also extends to getting new players in early, allowing them time to gel so we can hit the ground running from day one.

No doubt if we do sign anyone this week then the complaint will be they need time to bed in by which time 15 points or more could have gone by the wayside.

I detest us losing, or even drawing a game at home. I'm never completely happy unless we're averaging two points a game. Even if that isn't feasible you can always do slightly better which is why it's so galling to see the manager fritter our chances away by playing players out of position, favouring certain players who are either past it or who were never any good in the first place or both, and fail to address areas that clearly need strengthening.

I think you misunderstand what I was saying and I’m pretty sure how Parson feels also. I do not like my team losing at whatever level but I have learned over a lifetime of supporting Rovers that you have to be rational about it and not get too downhearted.

Just now, tonygreenbank said:

I think you misunderstand what I was saying and I’m pretty sure how Parson feels also. I do not like my team losing at whatever level but I have learned over a lifetime of supporting Rovers that you have to be rational about it and not get too downhearted.

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I get worse as I get older. Perhaps it's the advancing years and the realisation you don't have many football seasons left but I want Rovers back where they belong in the big time before I pop my clogs and results like yesterday's make you realise it's just not going to happen. Coupled with England's useless cricketers it would make anyone depressed. 

Edited by jim mk2
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, tonygreenbank said:

I understand we're not going to win every week but that doesn't mean it's any less annoying if we lose.

if you're indifferent to the result then I can't see what the purpose of following a football Club is, the whole exercise becomes fairly pointless.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I get worse as I get older. Perhaps it's the advancing years and the realisation you don't have many football seasons left but I want Rovers back where they belong in the big time before I pop my clogs and results like yesterday's make you realise it's just not going to happen. Coupled with England's useless cricketers it would make anyone depressed. 

Tend to agree jim. 

Plus even more to the point than you or I we are 120m or so in debt and are losing money at a substantial rate on an ongoing basis and are likely to fall foul of FFP rules at the end of next season.

I'd say the need for success (and quickly) was never more pressing. 

15 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

England have more chance of hitting their target tomorrow than we have of getting to the PL whilst owned by Vs and managed by Mowbray

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Thank God for that! I thought I was imagining it all for a minute! Bennett needlessly gave the ball away and they scored.

Whether someone else  could have heroically saved us is speculation but the odds were against it. He stuffed up.

I’m not sure that stopping a team scoring from when you gift them the ball near their own penalty area counts as a heroic save; I’d call it players just doing their effing job. If we let in a goal every time we misplace a pass in their half we are in for a very long season indeed.

Edited by Exiled in Toronto
  • Like 1

Another observation: our keeper made three saves of note, two of them due to horrendous mistakes from Mulgrew and Bennett, both from last man positions. So we were pretty close to losing 4-1 with all four goals being due to hopeless defending. 4-0 but for a circus act goal for us.

Edited by Exiled in Toronto

16 hours ago, tonygreenbank said:

I don`t know if anyone has mentioned this already but we`ve not won our opening game for the last 9 seasons which is some achievement! 4 of those were home defeats! That is why I agree with posters like Parsonblue that over the years you have to be fairly sanguine when following our team; you hope for something better next time.

My match day experience these days (except when I can get to Ewood)  is sitting in front of the TV watching Soccer Saturday with Jeff Stelling from 3 till 5pm praying that the goals go flying in for us. Yesterday when the focus was on the Championship I was able to get a bit more of a feel of the game as Bianca Westwood was summarising for Sky from the depths of the Riverside Stand. 

What was clear was the ebb and flow of 90 minutes and how Rovers were in the ascendancy for the most part, "dominating possession" or "throwing everything at the Charlton defence " in the second half. Even Jeff Stelling in the studio made a reference to Tony Mowbray showing anger at Mulgrew for missing a header in the first half. 

So I`m not in the Mowbray out camp  as there were positives from yesterday but if he could add a couple of players this week it might help to reboot the new season optimism amongst the fans.

Good post.

If I may have a small observation though, it’s notable that there are certainly more positive or at least more... open-minded... opinions from people who don’t sit through games and see just how awful the football can be at times under Mowbray.

It’s one thing putting up with Allardyce tactics but walking backup Bolton Road with three points. It’s a whole other experience when we lose and ship soft goals (usually in pairs) while seeing our better players on the bench.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, bluebruce said:

FFS! I don't need to read it again, I wrote it. Thanks for your concern. If you don't understand it, feel free to ask me to explain more clearly for you.

Edit - your other posts seem to agree with me that Bennett is the main culprit by the way, so I'm not sure what you're arguing about. Maybe I've not come across clearly enough on that in this single post.

Yeah agree with you. Sorry about that. Just getting frustrated at that point. Didn't expect fans would be rewriting history the day after!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I’m not sure that stopping a team scoring from when you gift them the ball near their own penalty area counts as a heroic save; I’d call it players just doing their effing job. If we let in a goal every time we misplace a pass in their half we are in for a very long season indeed.

There were players unmarked lined up on the left for a simple cross which came! The reason they had the ball was because of Bennett's blunder, the reason their left was unmarked was because Benno had raced over to the right. It it that simple.

8 hours ago, tonygreenbank said:

That was exactly my point tony - I hate losing but at long last it doesn't ruin my weekend like it used to do, although I must admit I was pretty poor company yesterday morning!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I think Walton is getting off a little easily on this one. That cross came in in slow motion and he didn't move.

A lot of players ballsed up for it though. Some of them caught out a little by Benno unexpectedly gifting the ball to the opposition.

As for the second goal, why don't we put men on the posts these days? That doesn't have a chance of going in with a man on the post.

To be fair, he's probably used to his defenders heading high balls away and not jumping under them..

9 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I think Walton is getting off a little easily on this one. That cross came in in slow motion and he didn't move.

A lot of players ballsed up for it though. Some of them caught out a little by Benno unexpectedly gifting the ball to the opposition.

As for the second goal, why don't we put men on the posts these days? That doesn't have a chance of going in with a man on the post.

That's something Robinson was on about at the Bristol v Leeds game keepers these days don't command the area the focus is on positioning on the line.  Strange why it's going that way but more likely because of the gradual slide to it being a non contact sport.

9 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Good man Rev, that’s the attitude. 

The manager is an expert at dumbing down expectations. Makes it a lot easier for him if nobody expects that Blackburn Rovers (with multi millionaire/billionaire owners, superb stadium, costly strike force, great academy) can do any better than match the mediocre mid table championship teams.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, 47er said:

Yeah agree with you. Sorry about that. Just getting frustrated at that point. Didn't expect fans would be rewriting history the day after!

Aye, not rewriting history, don't worry. Just saying he wasn't the only one at fault. Clearly the main culprit though, and that even some of the positional problems of the others were partly his fault as I don't think anybody thought he was about to lose it there so they got caught out.

• Like 1

“I’ve been in this league a long time and there’s games where you can be losing but come the 85th minute you get an equaliser and then can go on and win games,” Johnson added.

Yes but that is against teams like us Bradley.

We are the ones who often concede late or concede early then capitulate 4 or 5.

Hopefully you can educate our manager and the team about winning football matches.

• Like 3

Just now, OldEwoodBlue said:

“I’ve been in this league a long time and there’s games where you can be losing but come the 85th minute you get an equaliser and then can go on and win games,” Johnson added.

Yes but that is against teams like us Bradley.

We are the ones who often concede late or concede early then capitulate 4 or 5.

Hopefully you can educate our manager and the team about winning football matches.

He needs to ask the likes of Mulgrew etc when that last happened for us and how many times we've conceded at the death !

• Like 1