BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Charlton

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Just the 16 points.

I meant when we played them, and 16pts in this league is nothing really. Everyone from 3rd to 15th is of VERY similar ability to me.

Just now, JoeHarvey said:

I meant when we played them, and 16pts in this league is nothing really. Everyone from 3rd to 15th is of VERY similar ability to me.

16 points is nothing, really? If  we had another 16 points we'd have been in the play offs as it was we were 15th and as close to Milwall in terms of points as we were to Villa. As for when we played them, at Ewood it was an even game but at Villa Park they battered us and on another day it could easily have been 5 or 6- 1.

Let's not rewrite history here Villa were much better than us last season that is why they are in the Premier League this year, whilst we finished bottom half and after a brief flirtation with the playoffs our season was as good as over by March. 

• Like 1

No ifs, no buts, Charlton should be like lambs to the slaughter.

They are newly promoted and seem to have more defensive problems than even us.

It has to be a home banker.

Highly likely we will concede so it's just a question of how may goals we can rattle in.

Piled on at evens for Rovers win and a 'fun' bet of Rovers to win 4-1 at 45/1.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Cherry Blue said:

Bennett starting is a no brainer, TM will build the team around him. If Brereton is on fire he has to start and this will boost his confidence. The big concern is at the back but who ever we sign it'll be too late for this game.

Brereton should be on fire against non league shyte.....

Just now, Mercer said:

Highly likely we will concede so it's just a question of how may goals we can rattle in.

We are screwed

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

16 points is nothing, really? If  we had another 16 points we'd have been in the play offs as it was we were 15th and as close to Milwall in terms of points as we were to Villa. As for when we played them, at Ewood it was an even game but at Villa Park they battered us and on another day it could easily have been 5 or 6- 1.

Let's not rewrite history here Villa were much better than us last season that is why they are in the Premier League this year, whilst we finished bottom half and after a brief flirtation with the playoffs our season was as good as over by March. 

Nah, I think Villa finished well, and happened to keep hold of form better than others. They JUST made it onto the play offs and then rode that wave until the final was over.

We’ll agree to disagree on this one.

On 26/07/2019 at 11:03, Mike E said:

I'm starting to think this might suit us best:

Walton

Nyambe  Lenihan  Williams  Bell

Travis  Johnson  Rothwell

Dack

Breo    Gally

Gets our best X1 onto the pitch (imo) and easy to turn into other formations without subs, or only one sub.

Depends who we go on to sign off.

I like that! However, I can't see Timid Tony going with it. I expect Evans to play and Armstrong. And he'll never drop Graham if he's fit.

Shows we have great options front and middle but 3 of the back 4 remain a concern.

• Like 1

• Backroom
6 minutes ago, 47er said:

I like that! However, I can't see Timid Tony going with it. I expect Evans to play and Armstrong. And he'll never drop Graham if he's fit.

Shows we have great options front and middle but 3 of the back 4 remain a concern.

Absolutely. Defence is a real concern, and I hope we're not relying on throwing our young bucks in at the deep end.

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

That wouldn't get your bet that we will be relegated off to a great start

Charlton have just been promoted. We kept that momentum going in the early season---why can't they?

And we have a shocking first game history of failure to win.

So, I'm not counting on anything---especially with our defence.

6 hours ago, Mercer said:

Quite like I predicted some time back no?  You're funny Merc.. Managers crap, players are crap but every week we're winning 4-1 or so.  Tickles me it does.  Hope your bets.come in though.

Bit disrespectful to Charlton too.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Mercer said:

As US Rover says, after the stuff you’ve come out with all summer you’re surely on the wind up saying, yet again, garbage like ‘home banker’, ‘lambs to the slaughter’, and the obligatory ‘4-1’. You can’t help yourself can you, Merce.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 47er said:

Charlton have just been promoted. We kept that momentum going in the early season---why can't they?

And we have a shocking first game history of failure to win.

So, I'm not counting on anything---especially with our defence.

Agree. Charlton were the lowest-ranked promoted team. They've lost two of their best players in Bauer and Jamal Lowe. Their new signings are all from League One clubs or lower. On paper this should be the easiest game we have all season. But I'm not expecting any such thing.

Promoted teams frequently spring a surprise at the start of the season. The play-off teams actually statistically do the best of the promoted teams when they go up, if I remember rightly. Probably due to the euphoria of a Wembley win carrying them onwards. We also botch our first games frequently. We haven't got any defenders in yet, which means even if we do before Charlton, they're highly unlikely to start. We looked vulnerable at times against Blackpool.

I'm predicting a score draw from this one to be honest.

Edited by bluebruce

5 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

That wouldn't get your bet that we will be relegated off to a great start

Where did I say I have bet on relegation?

All I did is state the range of odds and say 'only flutter for me would be 13/2 on relegation'

You have a way of twisting words to meet your own ends.

As far Charlton, Mowbray has spent close on £15million of fire power in 12 months (Brereton, Armstrong and Gallagher) to supplement Graham, so if we can't blow Charlton away, it's time he went.

8 hours ago, 47er said:

Williams is injured

• Backroom

Excited for this, love opening day, just really hope I’m not deflated at 2pm, seeing Smallwood and Evans with Bennett at right back would be a blow.

Feel confident of a rare opening day win though 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Tom said:

Excited for this, love opening day, just really hope I’m not deflated at 2pm, seeing Smallwood and Evans with Bennett at right back would be a blow.

Feel confident of a rare opening day win though 

Looks like Johnson and Travis is rightly the preferred CM pairing so you should be safe there.

I do, sadly, think we will see Bennett at right back again, however. No, not right back in the stands.

Can’t believe the season starts on Saturday. How can you not be excited? Sounds like we will have some defenders show up this week that we desperately need.

I would start,from the likely options available:

——————Walton———————

Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew Downing 

————Travis——Johnson————

Rothwell———Dack——-Armstrong 

——————-Brereton——————

No one wants Charlie starting or Downing at LB, but here we are. You could bump Nyambe in with Lenihan, and play Bennett or JRC at Right Back.

The five in midfield pick themselves, Armstrong and Rothwell cutting inside off their wings, switching sides too.

Brereton gets the start as he has looked good in pre season and deserves the jersey, Graham and Gallagher are great options off the bench for now.

Edited by Fraserkirky
  • Like 3