BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Charlton

11 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

As US Rover says, after the stuff you’ve come out with all summer you’re surely on the wind up saying, yet again, garbage like ‘home banker’, ‘lambs to the slaughter’, and the obligatory ‘4-1’. You can’t help yourself can you, Merce.

He does it, so when we draw 1-1, he can beat Mowbray with another stick.

• Like 1

On 23/07/2019 at 20:31, bboy said:

alright was looking at the back of the board on our new signing

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2019/july/walton-will-be-a-huge-asset-for-us/

looks like;

GK

RB  CB CB

DMC  DMC  LWB

CAM   CAM

RF-(slightly more defensive), LF

looks crazy but would make sence to Mowbray saying we won't play anyone in the centre

New article in the Lancashire telegraph seems to confirm my theory 

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17800611.tactical-tweaks-rovers-shown-pre-season/

• Like 3

To the people describing this as a 'must win' game - give your heads a wobble. 

It is certainly a 'should win' game though, and I would like to see something akin to the team that finished the game at Rangers as the starting line up, but I suspect he will play all the experienced players and we will plod along until younger legs are introduced. I would do the opposite - send the young 'uns out to demolish Charlton and then bring the experience on to see the game out. 

3-1 to Rovers

• Like 4

Just now, oldjamfan1 said:

I would do the opposite - send the young 'uns out to demolish Charlton and then bring the experience on to see the game out. 

Completely agree with this, but we just know it will be the usual subjects until the 70th minute "trying to keep it tight" until we bring the likes of Rothwell, Brereton on etc.

• Like 1

• Backroom

To the people describing this as a 'must win' game - give your heads a wobble. 

It is certainly a 'should win' game though, and I would like to see something akin to the team that finished the game at Rangers as the starting line up, but I suspect he will play all the experienced players and we will plod along until younger legs are introduced. I would do the opposite - send the young 'uns out to demolish Charlton and then bring the experience on to see the game out. 

3-1 to Rovers

I agree that you can't describe the first match as a must win, but looking at the fixtures we have coming up after Charlton we could really do with three points to get ourselves going. 

Just now, DE. said:

I agree that you can't describe the first match as a must win, but looking at the fixtures we have coming up after Charlton we could really do with three points to get ourselves going. 

Maybe I'm just old fashioned but I was always taught that the best ploy is to concentrate on one game at a time. We have no idea who is going to be good, bad or indifferent yet so scanning the fixtures trying to work out where the points are coming from is futile. Its a bit like Mowbray worrying too much about what the opposition can do instead of focussing on our own strengths.

I do agree that it is always better to kick off with a win, but plenty of teams start slowly, including those that look 'strong' on paper. 

• Like 2

Maybe I'm just old fashioned but I was always taught that the best ploy is to concentrate on one game at a time. We have no idea who is going to be good, bad or indifferent yet so scanning the fixtures trying to work out where the points are coming from is futile. Its a bit like Mowbray worrying too much about what the opposition can do instead of focussing on our own strengths.

I do agree that it is always better to kick off with a win, but plenty of teams start slowly, including those that look 'strong' on paper. 

I agree with you Andy but let’s face it, Allardyce did exactly the bit in bold and it seemed to work for him!

• Like 1

Just now, old darwen blue said:

I agree with you Andy but let’s face it, Allardyce did exactly the bit in bold and it seemed to work for him!

Used to drive me crazy mate, to be honest. Much preferred the Mark Hughes method of sticking it to the big boys, not lying down to them.

Just now, old darwen blue said:

Yep, when we were away at Old Trafford I used to think what’s the point going as he wouldn’t try to win. 

Yep. I remember reluctantly agreeing to go the Emirates with my Irish in-laws and my Arsenal supporting nephew. None of them could understand my reluctance. I think they took it personally. I was embarrassed but probably more angry with myself for falling for it!

Just getting a little worried about the fixture on Saturday.  Just reading about flooding on the River Ribble near Preston.  Could someone let me know if there is any danger of the River Darwin flooding near Ewood and jeopardising the game.

As you can see I am located in Somerset and was thinking about coming up.

Just now, 4000Holes said:

Just getting a little worried about the fixture on Saturday.  Just reading about flooding on the River Ribble near Preston.  Could someone let me know if there is any danger of the River Darwin flooding near Ewood and jeopardising the game.

no chance of a flood.

• Backroom
36 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

It would be typical of Rovers to lose against Charlton and then beat one of the bigger teams, so I know what you mean. Looking at it from a purely logical perspective though I think 3 points on the opening day would help boost our confidence going into what should be some tougher fixtures. Last season's poor runs of form do concern me - our good start to the season ensured we never really got involved in the relegation scrap at any point. It would be great if we could get a head of steam going early doors in case we fall into another rut. 

Just now, DE. said:

It would be typical of Rovers to lose against Charlton and then beat one of the bigger teams, so I know what you mean. Looking at it from a purely logical perspective though I think 3 points on the opening day would help boost our confidence going into what should be some tougher fixtures. Last season's poor runs of form do concern me - our good start to the season ensured we never really got involved in the relegation scrap at any point. It would be great if we could get a head of steam going early doors in case we fall into another rut. 

And yet we dropped two points to a demoralising last minute goal against the worst team in the league on the season's opening day. I don't disagree with the logic of what you say but it is way, way too early to be looking that far ahead (IMHO of course)

Just now, 4000Holes said:

I’d amend that river name before the resident Darreners get very upset! ^_^

• Like 3

• Backroom

And yet we dropped two points to a demoralising last minute goal against the worst team in the league on the season's opening day. I don't disagree with the logic of what you say but it is way, way too early to be looking that far ahead (IMHO of course)

Yeah that was pretty disappointing in retrospect. We didn't even play well in that match, from recollection Ipswich at least matched us. The next week we drew 0-0 at home to Millwall which was another poor result, before we beat Hull & Brentford 1-0 in the coming weeks, with a draw against Reading sandwiched in between. So in truth we actually didn't exactly start the season on fire, but we were gaining points, even if a lot of the matches were draws. Our first loss was against Bristol City on Sep 2nd when they thumped us 4-1. 

Last season's draw against Ipswich on the opening day is perhaps a reminder that you can never take a win for granted. We didn't know it at the time but they were the worst team in the division by some distance - even worse than Bolton, who at times couldn't even pay their squad. 

• Like 1

Just now, DE. said:

Yeah that was pretty disappointing in retrospect. We didn't even play well in that match, from recollection Ipswich at least matched us. The next week we drew 0-0 at home to Millwall which was another poor result, before we beat Hull & Brentford 1-0 in the coming weeks, with a draw against Reading sandwiched in between. So in truth we actually didn't exactly start the season on fire, but we were gaining points, even if a lot of the matches were draws. Our first loss was against Bristol City on Sep 2nd when they thumped us 4-1. 

Last season's draw against Ipswich on the opening day is perhaps a reminder that you can never take a win for granted. We didn't know it at the time but they were the worst team in the division by some distance - even worse than Bolton, who at times couldn't even pay their squad. 

Which I suppose all goes to prove that looking at the fixture list and worrying about where the points might be coming from is a bit of a waste of time just yet. Once we get two or three months into the season and have a better idea of the stronger and weaker sides, maybe it becomes more valid to do that.

If we just go out and impose ourselves on every team we play we'll be just fine. 

PREDICTION: 

Dack is going to be our flop of the season, will start every single game ahead of other players deserving a game. Won't score double figures. 

I don't mean to p*ss on people's chips but I can see him being a problem this season. Especially if he picks up where last season left off. He looks like he's lost his drive and creativity, the key things that have made him what he is at Rovers, looked to be going through the motions last 10 games I've seen him. The apparent change in style of play won't help, potentially less time with Graham to play off will make him suffer. Both Graham and Dack look lost when not playing with each other. 

I hope I'm wrong and he bangs one in first game of the season. 

Edited by Neal
  • Like 2

Just now, Neal said:

PREDICTION: 

Dack is going to be our flop of the season, will start every single game ahead of other players deserving a game. Won't score double figures. 

I don't mean to p*ss on people's chips but I can see it being a problem this season. Especially if he picks up where last season left off. The apparent change in style of play, potentially less time with Graham to play off will make him suffer. Both Graham and Dack look lost when not playing with each other. 

I hope I'm wrong and he bangs one in first game of the season. 

I can see the change of style meaning that he scores fewer goals, but is more influential in our build up. Early signs of this squad looks a little more capable of creating without relying too heavily on the Dack/Graham partnership, so hopefully that takes some pressure of Dack and means that he won't receive 90% of attention from opposing managers. 

Hopefully that delicious through ball he plays to Armstrong against Bury is an indication of where he'll be at next season. 

• Like 1

Just now, Admiral Nelsen said:

I can see the change of style meaning that he scores fewer goals, but is more influential in our build up. Early signs of this squad looks a little more capable of creating without relying too heavily on the Dack/Graham partnership, so hopefully that takes some pressure of Dack and means that he won't receive 90% of attention from opposing managers. 

Hopefully that delicious through ball he plays to Armstrong against Bury is an indication of where he'll be at next season. 

I can accept less goals if his performances are still good and more players are scoring goals. For too long we've been reliant on individuals to score goals rather than sharing them around. 

• Like 1

Just now, Neal said:

I can accept less goals if his performances are still good and more players are scoring goals. For too long we've been reliant on individuals to score goals rather than sharing them around. 

Agree. Armstrong had bursts last season, but Graham and Dack were asked to far too much of the work in the final third.

Not saying that it will necessarily be successful, but if we have at least two of Armstrong, Rothwell and Gally on the park too, teams won't be able to get away with a 'stop Dack, stop Blackburn approach'. Travis and Johnson should be able to knock the ball around quicker than any partership we had there last season too. 

Being am optimist, all of this points to less pressure on Dack, and more time to show his skill across the pitch, but we'll have to see.