BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Charlton

Just now, OJRovers said:

I'm already mentally preparing myself for Smallwood starting in midfield. I just can't see Mowbray going with Johnson and Travis right from the off.

I honestly think he will start with Johnson/Travis. I'll be furious if he doesn't.

• Like 1

Charlton have been our 'can we play you every week' team in recent times.

Anything less than a win will be an absolute shocker - on a par with some of the opening turd we've seen in the last few years - getting trounced at home by Norwich, losing to Division 3 Southend and letting a terrible Ipswich side steal a point. 

Pretty sure it will be this side and subs bench :

--------------------------Walton

Nyambe----Lenihan-----Mulgrew----Downing

-----------------Travis---------Johnson

----Armstrong-------Dack--------Rothwell

--------------------------Graham

Subs : Leut, Tosin, Bennett, Evans, Buckley, Gallagher, Brereton

• Like 1

• Backroom

I would be surprised be Bennett and Gallagher are on the bench. I expect Bennett to start ahead of Nyambe and one of Armstrong or Rothwell to make way for Gallagher, but otherwise that seems like the most likely line up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Husky said:

Charlton have been our 'can we play you every week' team in recent times.

Anything less than a win will be an absolute shocker - on a par with some of the opening turd we've seen in the last few years - getting trounced at home by Norwich, losing to Division 3 Southend and letting a terrible Ipswich side steal a point. 

Have they? Beat us 1-0 last time we played...

Promoted teams, especially the playoff winners, frequently spring a shock. Don't get too complacent. I get why you expect a comfortable win on paper though.

3 Months of twiddling our thumbs is now over.  Match day returns and Rovers have a chance at something special come Saturday… and opening day win.  Its been a while.  But it will not be easy.  Charlton have a spring in their step from promotion, but will our attacking line be too much to handle.  Looking forward to this.  Thoughts on the match, expected starting XI and more.

Meanwhile later this week, catch feedback from both a Rovers and a Charlton fan as they give their thoughts and opinions on opening day and the season as a whole.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

I would like that.

8 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Bennett for Nyambe & Gallagher for Rothwell, and I think that's the team.

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

Think there's a decent chance Bennett could start ahead of Nyambe, but I put Nyambe in due to that tactics article in the LET as he's a better much better fit to come narrow like a third CB as it suggests. Maybe the articles cobblers, but reports from pre season go some way to confirm it  

I would be absolutely flabbergasted if Rothwell doesn't start. He had a great end to season where he was our best player for the last couple of months, a good pre-season and the suggestion is that we are building our team tactically around playing both him and Dack in same side (that LET article again).

If Gallagher starts I think (hope?) Armstrong is more at risk.

It's a pretty good attacking team with good options on the bench and should score a fair few goals. Big question marks though on Walton, Mulgrew, Downing as a LB. Seems very makeshift, and in Mulgrew we have someone who just had an utterly abject season.

• Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Sharpes predicted team. 

Walton, Bennett, Lenihan, Mulgrew, Bell, Travis, Johnson, Armstrong, Dack, Rothwell, Graham

Subs- Leutwiler, Nyambe, Evans, Buckley, Downing, Gallagher, Brereton

Personally would have Nyambe in, but would be pretty happy with that otherwise.  Strong bench. 

Has Tosin signed or not? Looks likely he will be here in time to be selected for the bench.

58 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

I preferred Joey's choice; but I fear that your amendments will be the team Mowbray uses to start the game.

Just now, philipl said:

Has Tosin signed or not? Looks likely he will be here in time to be selected for the bench.

Not yet and I don't think he would make the squad at this point without having trained. 

Who do you drop from the bench then though? I know a lot will say Evans, but can't see that personally. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Not yet and I don't think he would make the squad at this point without having trained. 

Who do you drop from the bench then though? I know a lot will say Evans, but can't see that personally. 

Rich Sharpe's bench only has Nyambe as cover at central defence.

I think (and hope) we will see less of Benno starting games this season, partly because of the arrivals of Johnson and Downing.

In the absence of Graham and Mulgrew, which happened a fair bit, he was like our most experienced player in a young team - I think we can gather from the recent signings that TM definitely values experience a lot. That and the fact I think he had a sense of loyalty meaning he gave game time to the lads who won us promotion. I'd like to think it's not just a case of him having 'favourites'.

Even a blind man can see Benno works his bollocks off every game and is a great character to have in your squad, he's just not THAT good technically unfortunately.

Also expect we will see less of Smallwood too, again nothing against the lad but the loyalty will have to be shoved aside a little now he's had his season to show his worth in the championship. 

• Like 4

• Backroom
2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Sharpes predicted team. 

Walton, Bennett, Lenihan, Mulgrew, Bell, Travis, Johnson, Armstrong, Dack, Rothwell, Graham

Subs- Leutwiler, Nyambe, Evans, Buckley, Downing, Gallagher, Brereton

Personally would have Nyambe in, but would be pretty happy with that otherwise.  Strong bench. 

If Gallagher is starting on the bench I will be pretty flabbergasted that we spent £5m on another player to sit and watch. We can argue Brereton is young, needs time to develop, flex, whatever else. Gallagher is a 23 year old we bought from a Premier League club who has plenty of experience in this league. I can't imagine many other clubs in our position spending £5m on a player and then putting him on the bench and then using him as a rotation option. 

• Like 1