BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thought he deserved his own thread.

Based on the rave reviews he's getting seems like this guy is the most promising youth player to come through since Phil Jones. I can't think of anyone there has been such universal praise for.

Got a bit of game time end of last season, and has played a lot in pre season. LET suggested he may go on loan, but I guess he may actually make the season squad given the quality he's show.

In our preferred 4231 he seems most comfortable across the attacking 3 mids, but there might be a significant role for him to play in the deeper 2 mids if we want someone in off the bench to improve our passing game when we're chasing a match. We havent had that since Cairney left.

Excited to see him, Davenport, Nyambe, Chapman and maybe even Hart and Rankin-Costello play a significant role next year. Plus Travis, Armstrong, Lenihan, Dack, Gallagher and Rothwell who are all established but still young and improving. Also I'm not a Brereton fan at all, but have to admit he's moved on a bit from an abject start to his Rovers career.

I think how well we do is largely going to be determined by how these young players step up as while a bit of experience from Johnson and Downing will maybe help shore things up they are unlikely to substantially move the needle from last season.

Would love to see a midfield of Buckley, Travis, Rothwell, Dack powering us up the table!

• Like 7

The lad looks the real deal.

I can only imagine it’s his slightness that counts against him. Year in League 1 to ‘toughen him up’ etc. 

I don’t particularly agree, but that must be the rationale.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

Just now, Mattyblue said:

The lad looks the real deal.

I can only imagine it’s his slightness that counts against him. Year in League 1 to ‘toughen him up’ etc. 

I don’t particularly agree, but that must be the rationale.

Ya I am sure it does , but I don't think it should. A manager should be able to find a way to play him and protect him. Play him in the middle with Johnson or Travis there to protect him as his enforcer :) 

Modern day football isnt that physical anymore. His slightness is his best weapon really.

Worst thing they could do is try and bulk him up and slow him down and risk injuries with to much size his frame isnt built for

• Like 2

Just now, FGS5635 said:

Modern day football isnt that physical anymore. His slightness is his best weapon really.

Worst thing they could do is try and bulk him up and slow him down and risk injuries with to much size his frame isnt built for

True, but a player gets far more protection in the Premier league or in European football. The Championship has that extra physicality to it. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

True, but a player gets far more protection in the Premier league or in European football. The Championship has that extra physicality to it. 

Possibly, but then I imagine he has been the smallest player all his life. Not stopped him reaching this level and Im sure it wont stop him going forward either.

• Like 1

Just now, FGS5635 said:

Possibly, but then I imagine he has been the smallest player all his life. Not stopped him reaching this level and Im sure it wont stop him going forward either.

Ya, it should't really, but some of the refs are crap and he will have it put up to him more from a physical standpoint than he has under age. Dack gets fouled a lot, but he is a robust little fecker. 

• Like 1

• Backroom

It's a shame he plays CM as it's a position we're arguably already overstocked in. Evans, Johnson and Travis are likely to be ahead of him in the pecking order, and we currently still have Smallwood lurking around with Downing also able to play that position if needed. I'd be happy to get rid of Evans & Smallwood to allow players like Buckley a visible route to the first team, but at the moment it's unfortunately looking like both will be staying.

• Like 3

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, it should't really, but some of the refs are crap and he will have it put up to him more from a physical standpoint than he has under age. Dack gets fouled a lot, but he is a robust little fecker. 

Small person syndrome. They are all little s houses on the sly :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

In our preferred 4231 he seems most comfortable across the attacking 3 mids, but there might be a significant role for him to play in the deeper 2 mids if we want someone in off the bench to improve our passing game when we're chasing a match. We havent had that since Cairney left.

I likened him to Simon Barker last night but you are more accurate (and up to date) with the  Cairney comparison. He doesn't have quite the same street smarts as a Cairney type yet but is a little quicker all round and can be the better player in time.

I saw lots of him at Leyland last year and he always stood out. He is fantastic at receiving the ball deep from the defence and turning his man to create space.  No other player  at the club does this better. He showed last night that he is equally comfortable playing much further forward. Although unusually slight, he has strong legs and I haven't seen him knocked off the ball yet. Contrast that with Magloire for example who really needs to work on his strength when physically competing man to man. 

I would hate Buckley to go out on loan. I believe he is better here, coming up against the likes of the truly terrifying sight of Bradley Johnson smashing him around in training every day. 

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, donnermeat said:

How long has Buckley been with the club? Did we pick him up at 16 after being discarded by a PL academy a la Travis and Butterworth?

Been a Rover since he was 6.

• Like 3