BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

I'm glad he's stopping around. It does appear we have a crop of youngsters coming through who can play at this level and maybe higher.

I'm all up for seeing some of these kids play.

Buckley has me as excited as the first time I saw Duff play. Different positions and styles, but clearly good technique and a good brain for a young lad. He's probably bound for better things than Blackburn Rovers if he continues his upward trajectory, but I'm hoping we get to watch a decent chunk of his progression at Ewood.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Traviscon said:

Buckley has me as excited as the first time I saw Duff play. 

When Duff, Dunn, Johnson and Taylor came into the first team, obviously Duff was special. But the other who impressed me at that time was David Dunn. I couldn't believe how good and how confident he was in bossing the midfield.

Happy days.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Traviscon said:

I'm glad he's stopping around. It does appear we have a crop of youngsters coming through who can play at this level and maybe higher.

I'm all up for seeing some of these kids play.

Buckley has me as excited as the first time I saw Duff play. Different positions and styles, but clearly good technique and a good brain for a young lad. He's probably bound for better things than Blackburn Rovers if he continues his upward trajectory, but I'm hoping we get to watch a decent chunk of his progression at Ewood.

Ooh that's a big call. Nowhere near the Duff level from what I've seen. The first time I saw Duff play I was astonished he wasn't already our first team regular on the wing. He was magical from the off. What I've seen of Buckley - which admittedly is nowhere near as much as others - he just looks decent, comfortable, and ready to push on. Duffer was alarmingly good.

Jones was the closest I've seen in early performances to that level, but still a way behind (though a less eye-catching position).

• Like 2

Happened to catch about 20 minutes of the training session . yesterday whilst waiting for the Business Event to begin. John Buckley is THE most talented and skilled footballer at this club, and I've now seen him enough times (first team and at Leyland) to feel completely confident in saying that. He looked above and beyond in that training session, and it comes as no surprise to me that Mowbray is such a fan, and was desperate to get him on at Blackpool.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Duff was world class in my opinion. Buckley has a way to go. Hopefully gets there or thereabouts though. 

I agree. Probably my favorite Rovers of my time. Ripped it up in the PL from first game as 18 year old, top player in World Cup and CL as well. 

There was a good batch then with Beattie, Dunn, Damien Johnson, Tiny Taylor and Duff. 

• Like 2

Just now, briansol said:

I agree. Probably my favorite Rovers of my time. Ripped it up in the PL from first game as 18 year old, top player in World Cup and CL as well. 

There was a good batch then with Beattie, Dunn, Damien Johnson, Tiny Taylor and Duff. 

I will never forget the Spain game in the 2002 world cup. We threw it away missing a penalty in extra time, but Duff was unplayable. He led their defenders on dances up, down and across the pitch. I think the highlights are on Youtube. Worth a watch if you are a Duff fan. 

• Like 2

On 27/07/2019 at 23:42, bluebruce said:

First time I've had the chance to see him in person. I watched pretty much just him for a bit. I'm not gonna lie lads, I wasn't blown away. He looked comfortable enough though, and did a few fairly nice things. Took a shot outside the box well, which I think might have been his first touch. There was a point I thought he'd foolishly played himself into trouble, but he came out the other end somehow. That bit impressed me, and actually elicited an audible 'wow'.

Looks promising for his age. I'm not expecting him to change our season just yet though.

Mowbray saying he is definitely not going on loan sounds like he might have a bit more willingness to play him than I thought. We will see, but it does make me a bit less apprehensive about the drawbacks of not loaning him.

It was my first time of seeing him playing, too; and, like like bluebruce, I couldn't see - on Saturday's display, at any rate - what much of the fuss was about.

I was also a bit worried about the way Saturday's Ref felt the need to have a quiet word with him. I wasn't aware of Blackpool targeting him, but he seemed to commit a few niggly fouls within a short time of coming on as a sub.

Obviously, I don't know if the Ref was considering yellow carding him but the quiet word seemed to do the trick. Maybe a point for the management to consider?

On 28/07/2019 at 22:27, bluebruce said:

Ooh that's a big call. Nowhere near the Duff level from what I've seen. The first time I saw Duff play I was astonished he wasn't already our first team regular on the wing. He was magical from the off. What I've seen of Buckley - which admittedly is nowhere near as much as others - he just looks decent, comfortable, and ready to push on. Duffer was alarmingly good.

Jones was the closest I've seen in early performances to that level, but still a way behind (though a less eye-catching position).

Hard to compare (if not impossible) - I'd suggest that Jones' might just edge that one.

League debut against Drogba, basically in his prime. Back pocket. Next game away at Burnley. Clean sheet and they never got a sniff all game. Unucky not to score in that game too.

• Like 1

Just shows how our standards have dropped this past decade if people are seriously thinking this lad can compare to some of the youngsters we’ve had before.

Duff and Jones looked thoroughbreds pretty much straight away... and Dunn wasn’t half bad either.

Buckley looks a raw and fairly weak young lad, though with obvious technical ability. Certainly have him in the squad, because this isn’t the PL and he could have an impact, but let’s not get carried away.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Hard to compare (if not impossible) - I'd suggest that Jones' might just edge that one.

League debut against Drogba, basically in his prime. Back pocket. Next game away at Burnley. Clean sheet and they never got a sniff all game. Unucky not to score in that game too.

His debut was before the Chelsea game. I thought as much so I checked. Chelsea was his first league start though, you're right (not sure if he had sub appearances first). But I was more remembering his actual first game (through the mists of time though so very vaguely) which was Forest in the League Cup in September. The Chelsea game wasn't until March, after he'd already had his 16 million clause contract.

Jones was unreal in that Chelsea game though. Astonishing to think he ended up how he did. Injuries and a premature career decision (that I said at the time was the wrong one) did for him. I mean he still played plenty of games for Manure and England so it's not like he completely failed, but I soon started thinking we were looking at an all-time England great.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 1

• Backroom
3 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Just to add Anelka and Lampard were also targets for Jones' tackles all game. He was a bloody menace.

My Dad remarks that he was easily as good as Duncan Edwards at the same age that day.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I will never forget the Spain game in the 2002 world cup. We threw it away missing a penalty in extra time, but Duff was unplayable. He led their defenders on dances up, down and across the pitch. I think the highlights are on Youtube. Worth a watch if you are a Duff fan. 

Link anyone? Or am I going to have to search.

6 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Duff was world class in my opinion. Buckley has a way to go. Hopefully gets there or thereabouts though. 

No arguments from me on both those counts.

When he gets the ball though, I get as excited as I did when Duff used to get hold of it. 

7 hours ago, m1st said:

I believe Sir Ferguson also made a similar comment about Jones.

Who then proceeded to ruin him by playing him anywhere but as a centre back.

Shame what happened to the lad. Unless you are his bank manager.

• Like 2

I’ve only properly seen Bucko at Rangers when he came on.

I’d seen all the comments about him on here so I was watching out for him, and I was very impressed. I can’t say he made me as excited as an in-form Rochina (for me, the most exciting player we’ve had whilst I’ve been old enough to understand football properly), however I could definitely see him reaching well above Ruben’s levels.

I’m glad he’s staying, and I look forward to being furious he’s not a regular starter come February (barring injuries)

Edited by CheshireRover
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Stuart said:

Unless you are his bank manager.

Depends how much his bint wife has spent. 

3 hours ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

If Brian Kidd had stayed a little longer he would have been sold

Are you sure? He was player of the season that year and that includes the 3 months Kidd was around. Dunn handed in a transfer request (while Parkes was caretaker) can't ever recall Duff handing in one.