BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tangerines vs. Rovers - PRE SEASON - 27th July 2019

22 hours ago, Stuart said:

Wonder if Walton will step in right away as number one?

Mowbray’s M.O. is more about loyalty (so reward Leutwiler for his pre-season so far) and new players having to prove themselves (so 6 weeks working with Benson while he gets used to being part of “the group”).

To throw him in for his debut against Blackpool and then at Charlton is new territory for Mowbray.

I genuinely can’t believe we haven’t brought in an experienced goalkeeper if we are sticking with the same poor defence.

As Matty alluded to in another thread, it looks like we could be about to throw away another impressive attacking squad for the want of some decent defenders. Which wouldn’t be so bad if Mowbray didn’t insist on playing defensive formations (like his 2 CDMs for so long).

I can't believe we are sticking to the same poor defence!....... I refuse to believe it until the window closes..(.the same way I did last August and indeed January.) I just don't get it...the difference it would make etc

• Like 3

#Rovers: Walton, Bennett, Lenihan, Mulgrew (c), Downing, Travis, Johnson, Armstrong, Dack, Gallagher, Graham.

Substitutes: Leutwiler, Grayson, Magloire, Rankin-Costello, Nyambe, Bell, Smallwood, Rothwell, Evans, Buckley, Brereton.

Downing LB, while I lost count of the times I said Gallagher would play wide if he came - I was right. While that defence...that defence is chuffing awful, pitiful.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 1

• Backroom

FFS. Look at the state of that defence. Bennett and Downing at full back and Mulgrew captain. Based on that we need 3 new defenders this week. Ridiculous 

• Like 6

Downing may well be a better left back than Bell. We simply don't know.

Im hoping Nyambe is still being rested after his African Cup exploits hence why Bennet starts at RB.

If we are playing 1 up top then Rothwell should be in for DG or Gally.

Edited by Hasta

On 26/07/2019 at 13:45, arbitro said:

The starting team and formation will be interesting as Mowbray himself said as we get towards the end of the pre season programme he will play what (injuries permitted) essentially will be his starting team for the league campaign.

Personally I still don't think he knows what his best team, formation and tactics are.

I think Mowbray thinks he knows what his best team is... but he clearly doesn’t!

• Like 1

Walton - Leutwiler is no better a combination than Raya - Leutwiler.

Bennett - Lenihan - Mulgrew - Downing is about as poor a defence as we could select.

A back four made of converted midfielders at varying stages of experience (let alone ability) and three of them at the tail end of their careers.

Mowbray was a defender yet seems to have no clue when it comes to establishing a defence.

I would normally say that pre-season games aren’t really important and it is next week that we need to worry about but I can’t see there being anything different against Charlton.

• Like 2

Just now, Stuart said:

Walton - Leutwiler is no better a combination than Raya - Leutwiler.

Bennett - Lenihan - Mulgrew - Downing is about as poor a defence as we could select.

A back four made of converted midfielders at varying stages of experience (let alone ability) and three of them at the tail end of their careers.

Mowbray was a defender yet seems to have no clue when it comes to establishing a defence.

I would normally say that pre-season games aren’t really important and it is next week that we need to worry about but I can’t see there being anything different against Charlton.

Let's not forget he's somehow forgot Rothwell is at the club.

How Bennett gets in ahead of Nyambe is an absolute joke.

• Like 3

3 converted midfield players playing in defence. Nyambe and Bell at full backs are at least playing in their correct positions. 

I hold little faith in this season now. Kills me to say it, last game before the start of the season. 

5 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Spot on. He has had two and a half years to sort this out. He's either blind to it or doesn't have the skills.

• Like 1