BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers new style of play and how we play it

Just now, philipl said:

And this all action left wing back is....

Stewart Downing. If the article is accurate - and that seems one hell of a weird formation - it points to Downing at left back and Nyambe at right back. Also it would seem to suggest Rothwell as our best fit at LW and Gallagher or Brereton at RW. 

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

Stewart Downing. If the article is accurate - and that seems one hell of a weird formation - it points to Downing at left back and Nyambe at right back. Also it would seem to suggest Rothwell as our best fit at LW and Gallagher or Brereton at RW. 

Yes- either disaster or as clever as three over lapping central defenders for Sheffield United last season.

I guess we will have a good indication by the end of August. Downing might need a pacemaker before the season is out... 

Will need us to get that beast central defender (or two) signed with that lop-sided defence.

Edited by philipl
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

We could change our name to "Cadbury's Assorted"?

Looking again at the formation again and it does really look like an attempt to get the most out of Downing, Rothwell, Dack, Graham and one of Armstrong/Gallagher/Brereton all in the same team. I credit Mowbray for trying something imaginative if it does indeed transpire.

I really can't see how Bennett at right back fits in at all though given he will be often acting as a third centreback, and the thought of Mulgrew getting pulled wide left to cover the marauding left wing back gives me major major concerns. Hopefully the new defender signings will address this.

• Like 1

I’m glad we’re trying something different. Though it seems to me Dack and Graham needed more time to make it work for them. As it is in pre-season we seem to have nullified our existing top scorers. Of course it’s possible they just haven’t had the right people on the pitch at the right time, the way it tends to go when you’re making wholesale changes throughout the match for fitness etc.

Regardless, if Big Ben and Arma start banging them in then it can only be good for them.

Classic Mowbray, overthinking it and making a simple game more complicated than it need be.

Matt Busby understood it. Send out your best players and let them get on with it. 

Will the Rovers players understand Pep Mowbray's latest tinkering? Highly unlikely I'd say.  

Edited by jim mk2
  • Like 2

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Classic Mowbray, overthinking it and making a simple game more complicated than it need be.

Matt Busby understood it. Send out your best players and let them get on with it. 

Will the Rovers players understand Pep Mowbray's latest tinkering? Highly unlikely I'd say.  

Fans would be criticising him if he didn't try something new, he tries something new and you are criticising it before even seeing it in use in a  proper game. 

If it was that simple and everyone just did what Matt Busby did(you are going back a bit with that reference to be honest) , then football management would be a very, very easy business. 

Signing good players, playing them to their strengths in their correct positions, and making sure they are motivated and work hard are more important than "systems".

Football management isn't easy, but the game is essentially simple. 

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Signing good players, playing them to their strengths in their correct positions, and making sure they are motivated and work hard are more important than "systems".

I would say winning is the most important aspect

• Like 1

I think that system would work for a few of our players. Armstrong on the right can push up and use his pace with through balls between cb and left back. Rothwell has license to come inside. Gallagher can be a mobile target man. I;ve seen Johnson play that left centre mid/dropping back into a deep left position in attack under clement at Derby so that could work. Travis gets up and down. Dack would have to play more as a 10 than as a second striker. Bell hugs the left flank in attack, Nyambe doesn't get as advanced at right back but is useful vs the counter.

Thats if he uses those players in that system.

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

To be fair, those changes in positions look tailor made to get the best out of the individuals we have in the squad. Let's see if it works out. 

Several teams have got promoted from this league in the last few years on the basis of having a very specific approach to the game that works for them. Hudds & Sheffield United stand out, but I'm sure there are others. More to the point, I can't think of a more sure fire way to make sure a squad under-performs than to neglect that side of management when other teams are going to use it for a competitive advantage. 

2 hours ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

I think that system would work for a few of our players. Armstrong on the right can push up and use his pace with through balls between cb and left back. Rothwell has license to come inside. Gallagher can be a mobile target man. I;ve seen Johnson play that left centre mid/dropping back into a deep left position in attack under clement at Derby so that could work. Travis gets up and down. Dack would have to play more as a 10 than as a second striker. Bell hugs the left flank in attack, Nyambe doesn't get as advanced at right back but is useful vs the counter.

Thats if he uses those players in that system.

....and then teams work out the Rovers "system" and counteract it. Does Pep Mowbray have a plan B or C up his sleeve?

Or do you let intelligent players work it out for themselves? I remember from playing days we used to change things around a bit as the game went on while the manager (who we ignored) waved his arms around uselessly from the sidelines. Professional game isn't much different. 

That Sharpe formation is pretty much how we played in the first half against Bury, Hart was playing much higher up and Rothwell was tucked more centrally leaving the left channel for Hart.  However, I'd say we changed it as the second half went on with Graham wider left than Brereton had been and Dack more of a false 9.  It was kind of a hybrid 4231/433 at times.

When TM has been experimental in the past it has not been that effective but hopefully, as we've been working on new ways to play all preseason we will make it work.

I'm pretty sure it will be flexible and we won't try this 90 minutes every match but it looks like it will be the main formation.

8 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Looking again at the formation again and it does really look like an attempt to get the most out of Downing, Rothwell, Dack, Graham and one of Armstrong/Gallagher/Brereton all in the same team. I credit Mowbray for trying something imaginative if it does indeed transpire.

I really can't see how Bennett at right back fits in at all though given he will be often acting as a third centreback, and the thought of Mulgrew getting pulled wide left to cover the marauding left wing back gives me major major concerns. Hopefully the new defender signings will address this.

Oh believe me, Tony will find a way. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Is there any actual evidence we have drastically changed our style of play or is Sharpe reading too much into the fact that we've given everyone a run out in pre season for fitness purposes? 

2 +2 = 5?

Yes Rev. Played that way at Barrow, Bury and Blackpool. 

Its something that Mowbray and his staff have been working on all pre season