BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers new style of play and how we play it

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

How is that relevant? You pointed to todays game as proof of your argument, ie needing 3 systems, when we won using the formation we have used for the last couple of years. How we might have played if other players had been available is irrelevant! (albeit one central defensive injury meant that we couldnt play 3 CBs, proving one of my main pitfalls of that formation) If we had played with 3 at the back or with "split strikers" then we dont know how we would have even got on.

Do you not attach any importance to consistency then, to understanding your roles, developing partnerships and familiarity? Do you not realise that all of these qualities were ones belonging to recently promoted sides?

And would you not agree that you can be adaptable and flexible within the parameters of a consistent formation? I gave examples of personnel changes that will allow different tactical approaches.

Do you not think it is an incredibly big ask of the players to master 3 formations all at the same time?

The players show their adaptable today when Mowbray had to change it due to Rothwell and Tosin being out of the game. Of course it relevant but yet again you dismissed it. 

The players understand their roles in the 4-2-3-1. That's clear to see. different teams can play different ways. not everyone has to copy the same approach 

limiting yourself to one formation risky especially when you consider how well teams like Preston and Sheff Utd stop us playing and Marked Dack out of the game. Do you not remember these games? 

nope. cos we have mastered 1 formation already. with the personal we got playing 3 at the back is a formation we are well suited to. 

The best thing about how squad is the quality of it and how many options we have in midfield that allow us the ability to pick and choose how we want to play

1 hour ago, stinny1 said:

i think Burnley went up with a squad  of 17 players they played a 4,4,2  everyweek and the team was well drilled all there players new there job. And there fitness levels where very high . Can we say that about our team but it was a good result  today

Their fitness levels were good but when you're winning most of the time people are more prepared to play when they're not 100% fit. They don't want to risk losing their place because it might be a while before they get it back.  Conversely when you're struggling players won't play if they're not firing on all cylinders.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Mowbray seems to set about making a very simple game very complicated.

Change of personnel, change of system, game after game then when it goes wrong it’s down to “individual errors from players”. No correlation, of course.

Success in the Championship is all about momentum. Mowbray appears to think that his L1 approach of rotation will work at this level but we had the best squad in the division. We were the Man City of League One and finished second. Meanwhile, his only success in this division was when he deployed a free flowing attacking game with West Brom. I guess the expectation levels from Rovers fans mean that he has all the time in the world. Let’s hope Venkys feel the same.

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Mowbray seems to set about making a very simple game very complicated.

Change of personnel, change of system, game after game then when it goes wrong it’s down to “individual errors from players”. No correlation, of course.

Success in the Championship is all about momentum. Mowbray appears to think that his L1 approach of rotation will work at this level but we had the best squad in the division. We were the Man City of League One and finished second. Meanwhile, his only success in this division was when he deployed a free flowing attacking game with West Brom. I guess the expectation levels from Rovers fans mean that he has all the time in the world. Let’s hope Venkys feel the same.

How is it making the game very complicated? 

We now have a chance flexible to change the team or formation without affecting the quality of the starting 11. 

Mowbray job in league 1 was promotion and it will achieved. You sound still bitter cos we didn't win the league. is this the case? 

Majority of fans are backing Mowbray and always have. Do you still want him out/sack?

9 hours ago, philipl said:

Clear Mowbray will change formations and personnel match to match from his comments.

So we don't so much have a new style of play as having several styles which will be used.

Mowbray has been saying this for a while

• 2 weeks later...

Eleven games in and I think it's time to evaluate where we are with Mowbrays proposed change in the style of play.

Having seen every game I see players who appear confused by how they should be playing. We started the season by trying to play out from the back but that seems to have been dispensed with as we looked to go longer to Gallagher out on the right touchline. The majority of passes we do play are safe, short and invariably sideways or backwards. We are so easy to play against with our slow, sedate and safe football.

For me we have gone backwards with Mowbray confusing fans and players alike with strange tactics and players being out of position.

• Like 9

Like arbitro I've seen every game and totally agree with his comments about the style of play.  We can pass all day along our back line and our midfielders passing back to the back four and the opposition know this and simply stand off and watch us go in ever decreasing circles getting nowhere.  Possession for the sake of possession is pointless if you aren't threatening the opposition goal.  At the moment it's pretty awful to watch.

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

We’re an ‘attacking team’ lads, Mowbray said as much yesterday. Maybe he’s referring to the under 23s as I haven’t seen much evidence of if at first team level! 

I would like some honesty from Mowbray, rather than cleches and sound-bites 

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

You won’t get that whilst Ewood is quiet.  Mowbray out is the chant that needs to be heard

I think 4 goals at home will achieve boos but I think we are still a way away from “out” chants.

• Like 1

On 22/09/2019 at 10:41, stinny1 said:

System are great but at the end of the day footballs all about keeping the ball out our goal and scoring  in theres simple over to you TM

On the evidence we have he might throw the sink at it for a game or two max then he'd reel it straight back in.  As for them doing it well god knows where he'd throw what was given or where they'd instruct him he had to throw it !

For me it's the same as its been for ages BUY a couple of good centre backs and loan in a decent striker or two even if if costs short term wages.

He/they do everything front to back then stand there shrugging their shoulders looking confused when it doesn't work.  People moan the team has no spine well he's never bloody built one so it's no wonder.

Edited by tomphil

24 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Yesterday's style was to meekly surrender to a bang average QPR team.

Mowbray has now delivered a bad defeat against weak opposition in 3 out of 9 League matches.

Mowbray giving away 15 games across the whole of this season like that will not only kaibosh play-off places, it will relegate us again.

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

I think we are still a way away from “out” chants.

I would say the majority of Rovers fans in the stadium are behind Mowbray and very few would get on his back. 

Just now, philipl said:

Mowbray has now delivered a bad defeat against weak opposition in 3 out of 9 League matches.

Mowbray giving away 15 games across the whole of this season like that will not only kaibosh play-off places, it will relegate us again.

what's weak opposition PhilipL? 

This is the championship football where anyone can beat anyone. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I would say the majority of Rovers fans in the stadium are behind Mowbray and very few would get on his back. 

what's weak opposition PhilipL? 

This is the championship football where anyone can beat anyone. 

There is some shite in this league chaddy, its competitive because there isnt THAT much quality in it. You dont have to do Sky Sports marketing campaign for them haha.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

There is some shite in this league chaddy, its competitive because there isnt THAT much quality in it. You dont have to do Sky Sports marketing campaign for them haha.

I think there is alot of quality players in this league and no one mention Sky Sports apart from you. But I bet right now you are watching Sky Sports Premier league channel?

With TM it will be an eternal experimental phase because when he lands on something that works he still changes it after a game or two at most.

Also has anyone ever seen a manager change things around in game so much ?  It often worked .......in league 1.

Edited by tomphil