BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers new style of play and how we play it

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

With TM it will be an eternal experimental phase because when he lands on something that works he still changes it after a game or two at most.

Also has anyone ever seen a manager change things around in game so much ?  It often worked .......in league 1.

Not one that stayed in the job for long.

• Like 1

Why did TM decide to buy Gallagher and Armstrong when he keeps playing them in roles (AM or out wide) that are not their natural positions? And before them Brereton? This has more or less been our downfall this season, because TM bought and paid handsomely for players that do not fit the system he has us hammered down playing.

17 hours ago, Mr. E said:

Why did TM decide to buy Gallagher and Armstrong when he keeps playing them in roles (AM or out wide) that are not their natural positions? And before them Brereton? This has more or less been our downfall this season, because TM bought and paid handsomely for players that do not fit the system he has us hammered down playing.

It’s muddled thinking in my opinion. 

He wants to have options to play different styles and formations according to who we are playing or what mood he is in.

problem is that some players suit a certain brand of football and others don’t. So they often get put in places that aren’t going to get the best out of them.

You can achieve a lot if you have a team of players that know they’re roles in the side and are comfortable playing in it. You can have one player playing a role that’s not there best of you’ve got 10 other players that do. But we have no consistency week to week, it’s very frustrating (eg watching Armstrong drift into the centre in between the lines)

I think Mowbray over values certain attributes like Versatility for example - he likes these players because  they are flexible for him to crowbar in many positions and because he can’t decide what we are and what they are.

The problem we’ve got now is whatever team and whatever shape he wants us to be/have we are lacking in a certain area.

you want to play 3 at the back? Well we don’t have wing backs only have 3 centre backs In the squad and how do you fit Dack into that. 

Want to play 2 up front instead of forcing one striker to play out wide, how do you fit in all those players who seem to be no. 10’s like Dack, Downing, Holtby. 

Wants to bring young players through, who is next of the conveyor belt? Buckley, Butterworth, JRC, Davenport and he’s stacked the squad with players that play in those positions. 

Want to play a pressing game? Well then you can play then it doesn’t suit some of them

want to play a possession game passing out from the back?Then why have spent money on forwards when we’ve got defenders and midfielders who can’t play that style eg Lenihan and Johnson.

why spend all your money on a striker who can win headers when you have nobody in the squad who can put a damn cross into the box let alone have a proper winger. 

If we are meant to be believing we are building towards a playoff push then I don’t see it with Tony anymore. Not this season or next, he has had money in transfers and importantly wages and I can’t see what he’s trying to achieve, can we afford to let him have another transfer window? I’m not sure we can.

Edited by BlackburnEnd75
  • Like 7

I haven't seen many of the games this season but from what I've seen references to the new "passing style of play" are well wide of the mark. That would infer players are moving into imaginative positions to receive the ball and are getting it and also more importantly that there is an end product.

All we do is watch static players knock the ball endlessly from side to side to each other in our own half and/or in front of the opposition. That may make the possession stats look better after the game but it's completely pointless in the final analysis.

It's all extremely reminiscent of the latter days under Bowyer when in a home match against Derby I counted the defence and midfield make 40 odd passes at one point and we never even progressed out of our own half!

Just now, Amo said:

kUvQ69j.png

Chapman simply not good enough. He's shown that on way too many occasions. Decent league one player, but so was Jack Payne. Quite like this team in general though.

I think the plan with Chapman was probably to build him up as much as possible in the U 23's first then ease him in mid season or something.

However then you look at Samuel and as predicted on here the min he's fit he's back in the squad and getting chucked on again.  He obviously gets a tick in the favs column.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I haven't seen many of the games this season but from what I've seen references to the new "passing style of play" are well wide of the mark. That would infer players are moving into imaginative positions to receive the ball and are getting it and also more importantly that there is an end product.

All we do is watch static players knock the ball endlessly from side to side to each other in our own half and/or in front of the opposition. That may make the possession stats look better after the game but it's completely pointless in the final analysis.

It's all extremely reminiscent of the latter days under Bowyer when in a home match against Derby I counted the defence and midfield make 40 odd passes at one point and we never even progressed out of our own half!

Spot on . Football made highly complex by this clown . Where do you see the top sides making changes to personnel or to systems the way this bloke does? Pick the team you want and think is your best 11 and stick with it and let the opposition worry about us . By we spend to much time over thinking the opposition and building them up to be Barca.

Is it really a surprise to us that we are short defensively? Defenders are coming , he signs Tosin who after 12 games has barely been sighted through a telescope and tries to persuade us that Lenihan and Williams are the solution . Lunacy. Then we have a makeshift right back who he makes captain !! 

After that it really is tombola time further forward with the squandering of £12million on 2 non scoring strikers- job losing decisions in any other all of life.

ive never been more disillusioned tbh - going absolutely nowhere when in reality we have individuals who with a good manager would be hunting the top 6.

the sad thing is we all knew deep down this was very very likely to happen once the window shut and the lies were laid bare .

new identity/ playing style my ass . Sell by date passed a long time ago .

Thanks for your efforts Tony but time to say goodbye.

Quick quiz question:

who is most confused ?

1) venkys

2) Mowbray and Venus

3) the players 

4) the fans 

Answers on a bloody postcard!!!! 

Edited by TBTF
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

It’s muddled thinking in my opinion. 

He wants to have options to play different styles and formations according to who we are playing or what mood he is in.

problem is that some players suit a certain brand of football and others don’t. So they often get put in places that aren’t going to get the best out of them.

You can achieve a lot if you have a team of players that know they’re roles in the side and are comfortable playing in it. You can have one player playing a role that’s not there best of you’ve got 10 other players that do. But we have no consistency week to week, it’s very frustrating (eg watching Armstrong drift into the centre in between the lines)

I think Mowbray over values certain attributes like Versatility for example - he likes these players because  they are flexible for him to crowbar in many positions and because he can’t decide what we are and what they are.

The problem we’ve got now is whatever team and whatever shape he wants us to be/have we are lacking in a certain area.

you want to play 3 at the back? Well we don’t have wing backs only have 3 centre backs In the squad and how do you fit Dack into that. 

Want to play 2 up front instead of forcing one striker to play out wide, how do you fit in all those players who seem to be no. 10’s like Dack, Downing, Holtby. 

Wants to bring young players through, who is next of the conveyor belt? Buckley, Butterworth, JRC, Davenport and he’s stacked the squad with players that play in those positions. 

Want to play a pressing game? Well then you can play then it doesn’t suit some of them

want to play a possession game passing out from the back?Then why have spent money on forwards when we’ve got defenders and midfielders who can’t play that style eg Lenihan and Johnson.

why spend all your money on a striker who can win headers when you have nobody in the squad who can put a damn cross into the box let alone have a proper winger. 

If we are meant to be believing we are building towards a playoff push then I don’t see it with Tony anymore. Not this season or next, he has had money in transfers and importantly wages and I can’t see what he’s trying to achieve, can we afford to let him have another transfer window? I’m not sure we can.

Spot on. Summed up my thoughts very succinctly. Goodness we are both so promising and a mess at the same time it is untrue. 

Regarding why sign Gally I think TM knew he had made a stinker with Bereton and with Graham getting older knew we were seriously lacking up front. The problem is TM isn't very good in the transfer market and often relies on players he knows/obvious choices. This meant we ended up with Gally. Unfortunately the pressure of having messed up with Bereton is doubly weighing on Gally and he must be shoehorned into the team at any cost as 2 expensive flops may even get Vs questioning what is going on. 

Like you say though, there's zero thought to how we sign players. Even the talented ones don't fit a system/don't play. It's all very frustrating. 

• Like 1

Players look confused and rudderless to me. I've never seen a manager send handwritten notes to players during the match like Mowbray on Saturday. Burnley show how it should be done - same formation every week with players slotting in and out into a system where everyone knows what their job is. 

• Like 1

The only thing a note to Evans should say is 'your time is up please speak to your agent'.  All the options they have now and still this useless passenger 3 feet backwards passing expert is chucked back in whenever there is opportunity.  If you want going nowhere football Evans is your man.

Early booking didn't help him on this occasion but there was no danger he'd pick up another !

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

I think the plan with Chapman was probably to build him up as much as possible in the U 23's first then ease him in mid season or something.

However then you look at Samuel and as predicted on here the min he's fit he's back in the squad and getting chucked on again.  He obviously gets a tick in the favs column.

If I was Chapman I'd be knocking on TMs door and asking why Samuel gets a chance over me. Chapman had some very good performances for the U23s and not even made the bench. Samuel has had one good game and straight in he goes. It doesn't seem fair as you have said and TM signed him. 

What's the point in having a squad if we don't try them and/or rotate them. 

If I was Chapman I'd be asking to leave ASAP. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr X said:

If I was Chapman I'd be knocking on TMs door and asking why Samuel gets a chance over me. Chapman had some very good performances for the U23s and not even made the bench. Samuel has had one good game and straight in he goes. It doesn't seem fair as you have said and TM signed him. 

What's the point in having a squad if we don't try them and/or rotate them. 

If I was Chapman I'd be asking to leave ASAP. 

I'm sure a few cameo appearances wouldn't do him any harm.  As for Samuel i have no words but i predicted it it's textbook Mowbray, just watch one good performance or a goal and there'll be a new contract in front of him.

10 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Another worry is seemingly a level of delusion within the group. The captain seems to be echoing the managers assertions that we played well v Luton and Forest and deserved more from them. We were shocking in both and I only remember one clear cut chance aside from the 2 goals scored.

Screenshot_20191007-205318_Twitter.jpg

Well speaking other fans(who dont come on here) all said we played well and deserved alot more than 1 point against them. I thought against Forest we were good. Deserve to win tbh 

Not everyone will share your view mate

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Well speaking other fans(who dont come on here) all said we played well and deserved alot more than 1 point against them. I thought against Forest we were good. Deserve to win tbh 

It all depends on what your opinion of playing well is. The last three games in my opinion, have been, Poor, average, and beyond poor. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

No but objectively, did we have any good chances aside from the goals? If the answer is no, how can you justify being hard done by? Grahams half chance was the only other decent chance I can recall.

As I have said, if that is the blueprint for a good performance then the standards are piss poor. Both games were like watching paint dry.